a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your opinion about the potential tension in the Mediterranean sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Well for one it's all in Turkish and number 2 all I'm seeing is random colours and numbers.
This picture shows the oil and gas exploration blocks around Cyprus. This has revived the tensions re who holds sovereignty over which territories in the area. Hako, since Erdoğan came to power in Turkey, justifiably or not, the country is not very “popular” in the western world... Tell us a bit more about the situation, if you wish, as most of us are not too familiar with the geopolitics in the eastern Mediterranean.
In my opinion France needs to send in the troops French foreign legion, establish it as a French territory and take all the natural resources for themselves. (...)
Not sure if you know, but when the Ottoman Empire was dismantled after WWI, France had a mandate over Lebanon and Syria, not that far from Cyprus. This made us very popular among the Christian communities there, not too much among the Muslims. Legion regiments were based there, and one, the 6e REI, was even nicknamed “Le régiment du Levant”, like 5e REI was nicknamed “Le régiment du Tonkin” (Tonkin is the northernmost region of Indochina).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This picture shows the oil and gas exploration blocks around Cyprus. This has revived the tensions re who holds sovereignty over which territories in the area. Hako, since Erdoğan came to power in Turkey, justifiably or not, the country is not very “popular” in the western world... Tell us a bit more about the situation, if you wish, as most of us are not too familiar with the geopolitics in the eastern Mediterranean.
Not sure if you know, but when the Ottoman Empire was dismantled after WWI, France had a mandate over Lebanon and Syria, not that far from Cyprus. This made us very popular among the Christian communities there, not too much among the Muslims. Legion regiments were based there, and one, the 6e REI, was even nicknamed “Le régiment du Levant”, like 5e REI was nicknamed “Le régiment du Tonkin” (Tonkin is the northernmost region of Indochina).
Erdogan is a dictator not so much different as Merkill

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I know Frenchie does not like Politics on here but i will say my opinion. Erdogan is a snake. he is now making threats to Europe saying he will let another flood of illegal "immigrants" into Europe. Germany is the no 1 target.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Nothing against Turks as they are mostly hard working people. They stick together as in the families... I respect that. However Islam is not compatible with Europe.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
nothing against Turks as they are mostly hard working people. They stick together as in the families..i respect that. However Islam is not compatible with Europe.

I dunno man, whilst Islam is currently the flavour of choice these days, I don't have an issue with them. My ex was Muslim. And from Egypt, actually a descendant of their Royal family. And she was a little goer. Her Egyptian side of the family hated me though :D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I dunno man, whilst Islam is currently the flavour of choice these days, I don't have an issue with them. My ex was Muslim. And from Egypt, actually a descendant of their Royal family. And she was a little goer. Her Egyptian side of the family hated me though :D
yeah but it depends on the person. Most Turks are OK & understand our ways (to an extent) some other Muslims who come from ..shall we say not so educated countries are not compatible. trust me i see it in Germany.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I know Frenchie does not like politics on here but i will say my opinion. (...)
It’s not that I don’t like politics, in particular in a thread that has been opened specifically to discuss a political issue, I just don’t like and don’t tolerate any form of hate speech.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It’s not that I don’t politics, in particular in a thread that has been opened specifically to discuss a political issue , I just don’t like and don’t tolerate any form of hate speech.
What is hate speech? Your opinion? Not picking here but you know what I’m getting at. There are good people in every land & there is trash.
And just for the record Frenchie in the R Sigs my best friend was a guy from Fiji... Yes a black guy who went later 5 Airborne. We got put in jail together in Catterick was a top guy. Also i got a great bl@w job from a black woman in Hannover... Wicked !

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
yeah but it depends on the person. Most Turks are OK & understand our ways (to an extent) some other Muslims who come from ..shall we say not so educated countries are not compatible. trust me i see it in Germany.

Do any of those 'No-Go' Muslim areas exist in Germany just now?
When I was based in the Fatherland, Turks were largely the problem for us.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
What is hate speech? (...)
The moderators, in their great wisdom, determine what is acceptable and what’s not. I’ll remind my old mantra, that I haven’t used in many years, well before you joined the board.
This forum is not a democracy, so :
Rule 1. The moderators are always right (and the Mods are alright too, but that’s another story).
Rule 2. Should the contrary happen, rule #1 applies.
:)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
It’s not that I don’t like politics, in particular in a thread that has been opened specifically to discuss a political issue , I just don’t like and don’t tolerate any form of hate speech.
I hate politics. All it's ever done has made enemies of men that have never met each other. I have more hate for the bloke that cut me up on the roundabout outside Tesco than I do for that Afghan farmer. Yet, who am I allowed to shoot?
Pfft, politics.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do any of those 'No-Go' Muslim areas exist in Germany just now?
When I was based in the Fatherland, Turks were largely the problem for us.
Where I live Celle its not a problem with Turks. There are more Kurds than Turks. The British army is not here now so i suppose it’s not such an issue. There were a lot of fights with Turks and stabbings. I remember a R Anglian from Trenchard Bks got stabbed & they went down town & did a few Turks. Was a few situations as you know.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A really good friend of mine is an Armenian, from what he has told me and from my research the Turkish people are not very nice. Not putting them all in the bubble but you can change from Murders over that little bit of time, they still today deny what happened. But I don’t have any problems with Turkish as a whole, just one group the Young Turks they are a bunch of trash spewing punks. If you don’t know who the young Turks are google them they are a fake news forum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A really good friend of mine is an Armenian, from what he has told me and from my research the Turkish people are not very nice. Not putting them all in the bubble but you can change from Murders over that little bit of time, they still today deny what happened. But I don’t have any problems with Turkish as a whole, just one group the Young Turks they are a bunch of trash spewing punks. If you don’t know who the young Turks are google them they are a fake news forum.
Yes.. they are very "macho" fight one to one just rubbish. always with knifes or in groups(family)
A good friend of mine works as a Bouncer at a big night club. Only trouble with "sp²cks". macho mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.