a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern Day Military Small Arms

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Great action pic, Surfguy, got any more?

By the way, we also had people preferring captured weapons because they were ‘sexier’, I think. This included US Thompsons and German Schmeizers and Lugers, I seem to remember. Usually only allowed for NCOs and officers.
Only what I`ve found on the net whilst researching rifles...
1564425957873.png
1564425988742.png
1564426009882.png
1564426081660.png
1564426157660.png
1564426229407.png

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Heres a Kolweizi pic showing a Legionnaire using captured a FAL , probably preffered it to a MAT 49 .

View attachment 5325
I was glad I had a mat-49 that first day. it did it’s job! Thick brush/ elephant grass on that DZ. we were able to clear the area and hold our own. Later moving into town yes the fal 7.62 would of came in handy. Looking back it was not so much the weapons. it was our training and the surprise factor of the op that won the day.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Mark Wake will be able to name more than a few of those gents I'm sure.
I’m terrible at remembering names unless they were from my own company snafu. But every one of those photos brings back memories! no one could ask for a better bunch of lads! it was a privilege to have served with them. No regrets!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Let’s say I took a acog with me would I be able to keep it or would they not allow it? I understand that they provide a gun but I’ve watched a lot of combat videos of the legion and not all the rifles have scopes.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Let’s say I took a acog with me would I be able to keep it or would they not allow it? I understand that they provide a gun but I’ve watched a lot of combat videos of the legion and not all the rifles have scopes.

I've no idea if they'd let you keep an ACOG at selection. But to me it would make sense to wait until you're at your regiment to have it shipped to you, if possible-- because you won't know, until you get to your regiment, what your assigned weapon will be.You could be issued a HK-416, in which case you're probably golden. But I'm not sure how practical mounting an ACOG on a FAMAS really is, and then there's the FN Minimi (essentially a SAW), the FN MAG (M240); even if the French have rails on the feed tray covers, mounting a standard ACOG on either is a bit silly. Not sure if they're still running AA-52's either, but forget mounting an ACOG on that thing.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the ACOG. I never qual'd higher than Sharpshooter with iron sights or a CCO, but never anything but Expert with an ACOG. The thing can turn a pretty lousy shot like me into, well, something other than a noisemaker.*

*I'm not like, Iraqi bad with a rifle, but I ain't Annie Oakley, either.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've no idea if they'd let you keep an ACOG at selection. But to me it would make sense to wait until you're at your regiment to have it shipped to you, if possible-- because you won't know, until you get to your regiment, what your assigned weapon will be.You could be issued a HK-416, in which case you're probably golden. But I'm not sure how practical mounting an ACOG on a FAMAS really is, and then there's the FN Minimi (essentially a SAW), the FN MAG (M240); even if the French have rails on the feed tray covers, mounting a standard ACOG on either is a bit silly. Not sure if they're still running AA-52's either, but forget mounting an ACOG on that thing.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the ACOG. I never qual'd higher than Sharpshooter with iron sights or a CCO, but never anything but Expert with an ACOG. The thing can turn a pretty lousy shot like me into, well, something other than a noisemaker.*

*I'm not like, Iraqi bad with a rifle, but I ain't Annie Oakley, either.
Good point crawdad, and yes the acog is the best option for anyone clear glass and bulletproof construction. But the problem is ITAR I’m not sure you can ship them overseas, I know you can travel with them but not positive about shipping I’ll have to look into that. It’s illegal to let a non citizen look through it, insane I know but that’s our government for ya.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good point crawdad, and yes the acog is the best option for anyone clear glass and bulletproof construction. But the problem is ITAR I’m not sure you can ship them overseas, I know you can travel with them but not positive about shipping I’ll have to look into that. It’s illegal to let a non citizen look through it, insane I know but that’s our government for ya.
Civilians can buy ACOG in the UK https://www.beechwoodsport.com/index.php/products/trijicon-optical-sights/acog/acog-89.html