a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a serving girlfriend ...

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
If I remember correctly, Operation Sentinelle is when you're patrolling Paris right? (...)
Not only Paris, but all major French cities where there might be a potential risk of terrorist actions.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Not only Paris, but all major French cities where there might be a potential risk to terrorist actions.
Well, they will be busy in the next few years if Macron is still sitting in the chair. However I think it will change.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If I remember correctly, Operation Sentinelle is when you're patrolling Paris right? Since we're talking about girlfriends, what happens if you're caught by your COs flirting with the locals?
There is flirting and doing your job, and there is flirting. It's not as though you are going to just stop patrolling and have a chat about weather. I mean let's be honest, do you really think that the girls are going to fall over themselves when they see a guy in military uniform walking around a train station?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There is flirting and doing your job, and there is flirting. It's not as though you are going to just stop patrolling and have a chat about weather. I mean let's be honest, do you really think that the girls are going to fall over themselves when they see a guy in military uniform walking around a train station?
How does the Legion patrol in say streets, like us in NI or do they do another thing?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Was at CDG and Marseille-Provence airports, and St-Charles railway station, in Marseille also. Usually small squads of 5 to 8 soldiers. They don't stick around for long. No more than 3 minutes, usually less. They might stick around while people are queuing or disembarking a shuttle. No chance for flirting in the airports and stations.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When it’s me why yes of course, they will have to send a special patrol to follow me just to beat off all the women trying to paw at me 🥰🥰🥰😘😘😘 oh forced he’s so handsome just look at him patrolling in his uniform oh forced will you give me a baby oh forced he’s a manly man Ect ect ect. I might even be forced to patrol at night so I don’t stop traffic from the horde of women following me just saying.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When it’s me why yes of course, they will have to send a special patrol to follow me just to beat off all the women trying to paw at me 🥰🥰🥰😘😘😘 oh forced he’s so handsome just look at him patrolling in his uniform oh forced will you give me a baby oh forced he’s a manly man Ect ect ect. I might even be forced to patrol at night so I don’t stop traffic from the horde of women following me just saying.
Dude they'll put Bromide in your tea... 😆 Rumour was the Chefs put it in the tea.. Joe? 😁

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland

If they are anything like Brit lassies, you will be lucky if you get a sneer.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I hate using my Phone because it wants to spell german words so if my posts look odd it's not cause I'm a mong.. 😆 Öl üß....

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Was at CDG and Marseille-Provence airports, and St-Charles railway station, in Marseille also. Usually small squads of 5 to 8 soldiers. They don't stick around for long. No more than 3 minutes, usually less. They might stick around while people are queuing or disembarking a shuttle. No chance for flirting in the airports and stations.
Actually the guys on Sentinelle patrol missions are quite reluctant to have any contacts with passersby, which is quite understandable. You never now what may happen. I came across one such patrol (“regular” infantry, not Legion) last month at La Défense (the business district just west of Paris) and spotted their new HK-416. Tried to engage one the soldiers to have a look at the rifle, but the patrol commander (a CCH) quickly put an end to the discussion. Realised afterwards that it wasn't a really clever move from my part.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Actually the guys on Sentinelle patrol missions are quite reluctant to have any contacts with passersby, which is quite understandable. You never now what may happen. I came across one such patrol (“regular” infantry, not Legion) last month at La Défense (the business district just west of Paris) and spotted their new HK-416. Tried to engage one the soldiers to have a look at the rifle, but the patrol commander (a CCH) quickly put an end to the discussion. Realised afterwards that it wasn't a really clever move from my part.
Understand them but it's not good public relations. I mean even in N Ireland we spoke now and again to people but it was on purpose to gather info etc. Remember a guy spoke to us who was either drugged up or an idiot. He got cheeky so he got a head butt the officer with us a Lt did not bother just said move on. 😆

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I wrote this one before but we had an infantry guy get posted to us for his own protection. Sorry Paps but he was an Argyll who was in Minden I think at the time. Came to us in Herford & worked in the clothing stores with a Light Infantry Ssgt. He got bullied in his Battalion because he put a frozen compo sausage up his rear end. So as we know cold also burns... He had to go to the Med Centre.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: True story. Takes all sorts in this Man's Army !

The case of the missing sausage... Another good one. :ROFLMAO:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, of course she wouldn't; she couldn't escape nearly as fast with that parachute attached to her dome. ;)

I kid, I kid.

Regarding the Norwegians; 19 does seem young for SF. AFAIK, it's currently possible in the US MIL. Of course, it's incredibly unlikely.

I can't speak for the Marines or Air Force, but the Navy has a program wherein a 17 year old can enlist under a SEAL contract. Theoretically, at least, one could earn their Trident before their 20th birthday; I'm unaware if anyone has done so.

As for the Army; there is a similar program-- a Special Forces contract for new recruits-- but as of 2013, that was closed to anyone under 20. (May not be the case now).

The other, more traditional, route would be to enlist on a non SF contract, and just drop an SF request once you got to your first unit. But the problem there is, almost noone is going to approve that request if it's coming from some 17 1/2 year old kid who just got out of Basic. We were almost perpetually under strength, for one thing, and it was always a crapshoot on whether the FNG's would turn out to be dirtbags or decent soldiers, much less viable SF candidates.

No, in the USMC you cannot enlist for Forced Recon, minimum rank, Corporal, and minimum time in service, all with the recommendation/approval of your entire command, that is just for the opportunity to take the Indoctrination. And for the US Navy, I guarantee you, the fail rate for Squids, a Marine's affectionate Term for Sailors, I guarantee, the fail rate is far greater than 90%. Same goes for Explosive Ordnance Disposal, no rookies, minimum Sergeant and 4-years time in service.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Those must be the Sentinelle on patrol on streets, parks, and districts then. The ones I saw were in airports and stations where they are usually too busy looking at bags and people.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No, in the USMC you cannot enlist for Forced Recon, minimum rank, Corporal, and minimum time in service, all with the recommendation/approval of your entire command, that is just for the opportunity to take the Indoctrination.
Mais, that's about what I figured. I didn't reckon there'd be a direct route to MARSOC fresh out of boot.

And for the US Navy, I guarantee you, the fail rate for Squids, a Marine's affectionate term for Sailors, I guarantee the fail rate is far greater than 90%. Same goes for Explosive Ordnance Disposal, no rookies, minimum Sergeant and 4-years time in service.

5e4f891775d1e973a287eee7f4bf2b7a.jpg

I'm sorry. You're, of course absolutely right. But that was one too many 'Garontees's'' for me to not drop a Justin Wilson reference.

Which reminds me: In your opinion, is Justin Wilson Cajun or not?

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This large beret is an integral part of their traditions. You wouldn’t imagine any other unit than the Legion adopting the képi blanc. It’s nicknamed la tarte (meaning the pie in French, nothing to do with the similar word “tart” in English... :)).
Funny thing, in American English, a “tart” is still just a (sort of) pie. Only in British English does it refer to a woman.

Kind of like how the word “Catin” is generally negative in France but down here it either means “doll” or is just a term of endearment.

There's even a Zydeco song called “Jolie Catin”... I've often wondered what it must sound like for the French to hear some créole singing about his “pretty whore”.

So what about the beans? 😁 You heard that one right
I heard it was Saltpeter--Potassium Nitrate-- in the mashed potatoes. An old rumor, to be sure; My grandpa was told the same crap when he was in the Navy ('55-'59).