a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katalmach has taken a different vocation.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Guys, Katalmach, with over 200 posts and a donator for the up keep of the forum, dropped me a PM a couple of days ago. I as always, asked if I could share it with the rest of the gang. So this is what he sent me :

I've been without internet for quite some time. I borrowed my friend's computer to pop in and say I have been given the chance to reenlist here in the United States.

Miraculously, an army recruiter I spoke to years ago reached out to me through email. I'm lucky I caught it when I did. He told me to come in and he explained that people like me are being given waivers on a case by case basis.

I've spent a lot of time getting the administrative nonsense done, and training for it. Going in as infantry.

I felt you deserved to know, because you and some of the other greens on here have been extremely supportive to me, and to all the aspiring Legionnaires. I know now that I will likely never earn the Kepi Blanc, but I will always have tremendous respect for the Legion, and for you, and for this forum. I hope one day I get to train with Legionnaires. Fight alongside them if I am lucky

I should be stable enough to rejoin the forum on a regular basis soon. Just need to be able to afford internet again

Best wishes,
- Katalmach

So all the best mate, and don't forget if ever it does not work out (which it should do) well...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Good that he made it.

So they approved his tattoos now? Do he now need to go through selection or what?

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good that he made it.

So they approved his tattoos now? Do he now need to go through selection or what?
He'll go through his local MEPS (Military Entrance and Processing Station), which is roughly analogous to the blue portion of Legion selection. From there, it's reception at Fort Benning, Georgia which is sort of like going Rouge – except, the first physical fitness diagnostic test happens at reception, and if you fail it, you're not out – you just get sent to the Fitness Training Unit (FTU), colloquially known as 'Fat Camp'. You do not want to go to Fat Camp.
Make it through MEPS and Reception, and you then start Basic (sort of like Castel/the Farm). After that, AIT, and from there, sent to your first unit.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
He is going on a one way trip to Sand Hill. The thought of the Stairway to Heaven makes my feet ache. If he is lucky he won't go during the summer. Georgia in May-September is an absolute nightmare. With luck, he will be fortunate like I was, to get an airborne contract, possibly even ranger, if he is fit enough and hungry.
Joseph if you can, since he keeps in touch with you, tell him he is free to PM me anytime for information about infantry OSUT, or anything related to it. I am eager to help in anyway I can.

He'll go through his local MEPS (Military Entrance and Processing Station), which is roughly analogous to the blue portion of Legion selection. From there, it's reception at Fort Benning, Georgia which is sort of like going Rouge – except, the first physical fitness diagnostic test happens at reception, and if you fail it, you're not out – you just get sent to the Fitness Training Unit (FTU), colloquially known as 'Fat Camp'. You do not want to go to Fat Camp.
Make it through MEPS and Reception, and you then start Basic (sort of like Castel/the Farm). After that, AIT, and from there, sent to your first unit.
Infantry get sent to OSUT. They combine your basic instruction and infantry school. If he is 11B, he will be in a good spot. If 11C, it will suck. Not making time on gunning or being AG results in getting scuffed up pretty good.
Shipped to Atlanta, GA from MEPS. You'll wait in the airport for a few hours, with an envelope, and a Drill Sergeant will show up and yell at you in front of all of the civilians there. You'll go by bus to 30th AG. If he is wise he will sleep on the bus, and any chance he gets because he will go without sleep for about 30+ hours. After about a week, maybe two, he will go to Sand Hill. I hope he gets good instructors like I did. All combat vets, all infantrymen, and were very serious about producing infantry soldiers. No rewards for ruck marches, no congratulations. Some companies would get pizza or phone priviledges. It is weakness. The fact that you did it (the hard stuff) means you are doing your job so be proud of it.
Good memories, good friends that you will remember forever. I wish him the best luck, and to pay attention and learn something. I loved land navigation and patrolling the most.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) Joseph if you can, since he keeps in touch with you, tell him he is free to PM me anytime for information about infantry OSUT, or anything related to it. I am eager to help in anyway I can. (...)
He's having to borrow a computer from a friend, but I will drop him a PM now.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dusa: It wasn't just the tattoos, man. For the sake of anonymity, I didn't want to fully disclose why I was allowed back in. Since it isn't an issue with me sharing, the short of it is that I have an RE4 from the Marine Corps, which means I can't reenlist even in another branch. The Army is giving out waivers for 2 reasons. First, because Marine Corps is notorious for giving harsh discharge codes that many people don't deserve, and second, because retention is very low. It's getting harder every day to get kids to join. I'm 27 and I've applied for waivers 8 times. I guess they figured it was time to give me a chance.

My reenlistment process is almost done. A few more aggravating steps to get out of the way, and I am off to MEPS. For the 3rd time in my life. Not a whole lot of fun hahaha

A_Wanderer, I sent you a PM. I have survived Parris Island, but I'd love to hear about OSUT. Perhaps we can compare experiences

I'll be around, guys. I'll be sure to tell stories about my experiences

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Infantry gets sent to OSUT. They combine your basic instruction and infantry school. If he is 11B, he will be in a good spot. If 11C, it will suck.

my ASVAB scores aren't high enough to do mortars hahaha. At least so I have been told. The first time I took it back in high school I got the bare minimum score to get into field artillery, which is what I picked. Unfortunately I never made it to Ft. Sill for MOS school. This time will be different. Going to get my 11 Bang Bang on

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well good on you Mate, you persevered and kept trying no matter what was flung at you, lets hope this works out for you and you can build a career with the Army.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusa: It wasn't just the tattoos, man. For the sake of anonymity, I didn't want to fully disclose why I was allowed back in. Since it isn't an issue with me sharing, the short of it is that I have an RE4 from the Marine Corps, which means I can't reenlist even in another branch. The Army is giving out waivers for 2 reasons. First, because Marine Corps is notorious for giving harsh discharge codes that many people don't deserve, and second, because retention is very low. It's getting harder every day to get kids to join. I'm 27 and I've applied for waivers 8 times. I guess they figured it was time to give me a chance.

My reenlistment process is almost done. A few more aggravating steps to get out of the way, and I am off to MEPS. For the 3rd time in my life. Not a whole lot of fun hahaha

A_Wanderer, I sent you a PM. I have survived Parris Island, but I'd love to hear about OSUT. Perhaps we can compare experiences

Congratulations and all the very best in the future.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

I am really glad you were given a waiver by the US Army. You are on point when it comes to an RE-4 discharge from boot camp, it is a killer for aspirations. You were given new life here Katalmach, much the same as the Legion does, don't mess this up. Realize just how lucky you are and good luck, but hey, you spent some time at Paris Island and know what stress is all about, the Army can't throw anything at you that you can't handle.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
my ASVAB scores aren't high enough to do mortars hahaha. At least so I have been told. The first time I took it back in high school I got the bare minimum score to get into field artillery, which is what I picked. Unfortunately I never made it to Ft. Sill for MOS school. This time will be different. Going to get my 11 Bang Bang on
The Army will not care about any of your scores when you are in, except your GT. GT determines if you can do anything "cool" like ranger, SF, or SOF. As an infantryman, you will go in as 11x and latter will be classed into 11B or 11C. There is no way to determine if they will pick one or the either.

The army's training doesn't get tedious or difficult until you go for a selection or have to take tests. You'll make it in army infantry school. Just take care of your body and do NOT go to sick call.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
An update for you, my friends. It's been quite a few months of endless administrative work on my end. I had to get a doctor's note stating I have mental health sufficient to join. I got a psychologist to question me for many hours and submitted a letter written by him, among several other character references from my former Watch Commander at my law enforcement job.

Then I had to write a hand written note about my side of the story. Why I was kicked out, how I have changed, etc etc.

Next I filled out the application. Every address I ever stayed at, references from neighbors and friends who knew me there. Every job I've ever had. That was exhausting

Lastly I had to get records of a knee surgery from 2005. My recruiter thought they would brush it off, but they wanted documentation. It's taken the better part of 2 months to get ahold of the hostpital where I was treated. My documents should be here by Monday.

Then FINALLY I am going to MEPS to waiver in

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
An update for you, my friends. It's been quite a few months of endless administrative work on my end. I had to get a doctor's note stating I have mental health sufficient to join. I got a psychologist to question me for many hours and submitted a letter written by him, among several other character references from my former Watch Commander at my law enforcement job.

Then I had to write a hand written note about my side of the story. Why I was kicked out, how I have changed, etc etc.

Next I filled out the application. Every address I ever stayed at, references from neighbors and friends who knew me there. Every job I've ever had. That was exhausting

Lastly I had to get records of a knee surgery from 2005. My recruiter thought they would brush it off, but they wanted documentation. It's taken the better part of 2 months to get ahold of the hostpital where I was treated. My documents should be here by Monday.

Then FINALLY I am going to MEPS to waiver in
After all this they'll at least know your keen as mustard 👍