a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 pull ups

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Probably boils down to the pool of candidates' average fitness. If all can do seven, then they will choose the 20 that can do ten.
Just a guess though.

Before I went, I made sure I could do a fair bit more than what the tests demanded. Think it's smarter to have something in reserve incase the day isn't your day.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
makes me wonder though..guy in a red muscle vest here in a Legion Regiment /5:56 mark can hardly do a supinated chin up never mind 10 strict pronated (overhand pull ups) :unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Probably boils down to the pool of candidates' average fitness. If all can do seven, then they will choose the 20 that can do ten.
Just a guess though.

Before I went, I made sure I could do a fair bit more than what the tests demanded. Think it's smarter to have something in reserve incase the day isn't your day.
I think it´s like anything, they have fit guys and fat pie munchers even in the Legion. i know some make them out to be super men but i don´t think so. yes you´re correct in what you wrote.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don’t know what the crack is now but it was the first 2 in training that were offered the chance to volunteer to go to the REP as you can’t be made to jump, so the REP tended to get the fitter recruits, but yes their was some unfit guys that scraped through as they had to feed all the regiments and all the roles to make a regiment tick so everyone that got through and found their role once posted! So with that in mind levels of fitness and other stuff were kept at a point where numbers passed training to take on these duties, don’t forget guys like myself that were fit above average fitness and military aware were always going to end up in a duty company I would have fcuked off I came to join the paras and it was that or nothing, in my view the only thing fit for a sardine can is sardine I’m a Pisces I would have got out of the turret and back to jail in the UK! But I’m biased towards crap hats And in my 60s I still hold my own👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
the only thing fit for a sardine can is sardine I’m a Pisces I
But you by your admission you said you could not learn french so never got Promotion. What is the point of being fit but staying the bottom of the food chain? Might get away with sign language & monkey see monkey do in the infantry but in the REC & engineers that won't cut it. Just saying... 👍

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Everybody joins for their own reasons promotion was not high on my list your get confused with career soldiers not drunks and chancers as I was then!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Everybody joins for their own reasons promotion was not high on my list your get confused with career soldiers not drunks and chancers as I was then!
I do think you were a hard robust soldier ginge. A like able roge even now in your 60s. Not taking the piss as i do like you. Just making the point that higher on my list of priorities would be good french regardless if rep or not. Agree with most of your post.. We had some unfit guys too.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
drunks and chancers as I was then!
I am sure you were not a drunk chancer but just a bit crazy like we all were. We all were idiots at times boozing...etc. I mean you learned later on in your early 50s so you have a brain but maybe just did not want to use it ...LOL. I was not so good in school but at 40 learned a job in school here in German . Don´t put yourself down ginge. you i am sure were a loyal guy to your mates in the REP.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
infact i remember when we were pulling through the Gun Barrel doing pull ups off the Muzzle Brake. messing around before we took it off along with the fume extractor. Had staves to pull it through but we uses a long rope which we attached a big spanner to weight it... elevated the barrel & a guy was inside with the breech open. attached the rope to the cleaning brush which was big. depressed the barrel and we pulled it through... 🤪

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Duda boss do you want some motivation?? I’m in my 60s on New Year’s Day at 12am I will post a video of my max reps of true pull ups so step up to the line my Man except the challenge and 50 each winner takes all PayPal it to Mr Pert (Sex) for safe keeping Game on😀

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Duda boss do you want some motivation?? I’m in my 60s on New Year’s Day at 12am I will post a video of my max reps of true pull ups so step up to the line my Man except the challenge and 50 each winner takes all PayPal it to Mr Pert (Sex) for safe keeping Game on😀
Am in. If 60y old beat me... Hmm. So when is posting day?