a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New reworked info on 6e REI

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Two years later, the 6e REI legionnaires would defend the territory tenaciously against a British invasion. Nevertheless, after that sad campaign, they had to leave....
At least some were on the right side. Interesting though. Never knew this.
On the British side, there were mainly Australian and Indian troops involved. Alongside them, also a small number of the Free French of General De Gaulle fighting within the British Army against the then French Empire (called Vichy France). Between them, men of the 13e DBLE, led by Lt Colonel Amilakvari.

Last edited:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
To add to this post, my hat off to Peter, the creator of this web site.
He spends countless hours researching accurate records.
Anyone interested in helping him out with the cost of maintaining his web site, visit the shop (not his) if you like Legion
T-shirts or other items.
He get a small % of each item sold.
Be sure to choose the North American link or the European link to save on sending costs.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anyone interested in helping him out with the cost of maintaining his web site, visit the shop (not his) if you like Legion
T-shirts or other items.
Be sure to choose the North American link or the European link to save on sending costs.
Would buy a beer tankard but would feel a bit of a d*ck wearing a Legion t-shirt if you did not serve in la Légion. 😄

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
To add a bit more on that, two officers who participated in the 1941 campaign in French Levant with 6e REI, later became famous in Indochina and Algeria: Major (then Captain) Pierre Segrétain, CO of 1er BEP, KIA near Đông Khê in Oct 1950, during the disastrous evacuation of the town of Cao Bằng, along the RC4 (Route Coloniale #4) and Capt Pierre Jeanpierre, who was among the few survivors who made it back to the French lines and was later KIA in Algeria in May 1958 as a Lt Col, CO of the 1er REP.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
To add a bit more on that, two officers who participated in the 1941 campaign in French Levant with 6e REI, later became famous in Indochina and Algeria: Major (then Captain) Pierre Segrétain, CO of 1er BEP, KIA near Đông Khê in Oct 1950, during the disastrous evacuation of the town of Cao Bằng, along the RC4 (Route Coloniale #4) and Capt Pierre Jeanpierre, who was among the few survivors who made it back to the French lines and was later KIA in Algeria in May 1958 as a Lt Col, CO of the 1er REP.
I'll pass this on to Peter.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
T-shirts or other items.
Is there a link to the site?

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hi Peter
If you are interested I have attached a copy of one of the pages of my father's military record with the 6th REI in Syria,this shows him as a deserter.
Which I think was wrong con sidering his service through the rest of the war .
Regards
Paul