a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Range Shooting Basics

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Although owning a firearm in my country is pretty much illegal (unless you make a boatload of cash per month), I have been reading this book for the past week. The content is easy to understand and the language simple. Hope you guys (especially wannabees like myself who's interested in becoming a sniper) can find this manual useful. The author is a former 75th ranger regiment sniper and sniper team leader.

Attachments

• [Ryan_Cleckner]_Long_Range_Shooting_Handbook__Comp(z-lib.org).pdf
    8.1 MB · Views: 22

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just spotted you are in Indonesia, as you say difficult to train with firearms,I suppose airgun shooting practice is better than none, however for long range there's a huge amount to learn about ballistics, understanding your scope reticules, wind , meteorology, coriolis effect and so on , google Bryan Litz / Applied Ballistics and read what you can by him.

Last edited:

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Just spotted you are in Indonesia, as you say difficult to train with firearms,I suppose airgun shooting practice is better than none, however for long range there's a huge amount to learn about ballistics, understanding your scope reticules, wind , meteorology, coriolis effect and so on , google Bryan Litz / Applied Ballistics and read what you can
I am also studying/reading alot of material on tactics as well. particularly gabe suarez's books

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
I am also studying/reading alot of material on tactics as well. particularly gabe suarez's books

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Airgun's are allowed, but the good one's cost quite a lot, Im actually considering on joining a (air rifle) shooting club

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Just spotted you are in Indonesia, as you say difficult to train with firearms,I suppose airgun shooting practice is better than none, however for long range there's a huge amount to learn about ballistics, understanding your scope reticules, wind , meteorology, coriolis effect and so on , google Bryan Litz / Applied Ballistics and read what you can by him.

The book i shared above also covers those topics, but of course ill also try to find other related materials

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would say that you forget all this google nonsense. thinking too far ahead bro. Get in the Legion first then wait and see where you are sent. Also you might get conflicting advices from youtube experts & online experts. Wait untill the Legion trains you how they want it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
also another very important point is.. how good is your map reading? I was not a sniper but i have spoken to people who were. Map reading is 100% important. all part of the big picture bro.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
also another very important point is.. how good is your map reading? I was not a sniper but i have spoken to people who were. Map reading is 100% important. all part of the big picture bro.

yeah definitely I need to read about that too

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No, because from getting yourself or a mortar round from A to B means knowing what is represented on the ground in the form of a piece of paper or more commonly referred to as a map or a chart.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No, because from getting yourself or a mortar round from A to B means knowing what is represented on the ground in the form of a piece of paper or more commonly referred to as a map or a chart.
a ship can drift in the sea..if it has no map
so the Legions mortars have no OPs?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe if 1 REC goes forward & i assume they have OPs.. what do you think they are doing? Infantry must have the same. A sniper must read a map.
for the people who don´t knowOPs or forward observation were "spotters" for our Guns or for the Infantry Mortars. They sent direct map refrences & info to the command post. Infantry is similar. This info went into a system called BATES i think at my time. It then came to us Gunners as a fire order.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think if you want to be a sniper, you got to do your "time" in your company in the Regiment. prove yourself. I know Joe is taking the piss out me because the Cpl Chef was around the globe. ;)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The book i shared above also covers those topics, but of course ill also try to find other related materials
Having a good understanding of basic ballistics will give you head start on everyone else allowing you to stand out to the DS , unless you become a sharpshooter/marksman/sniper its unlikely you`ll learn anything more than blatting Fig11 targets at up to 3-400 meters , I`ve seen ex Squaddies come onto firing ranges and they have no idea how to zero a scoped rifle or what MRAD`s are , iron sight /Susat/ACOG shooting and at relatively close ranges is all they`d been taught.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Having a good understanding of basic ballistics will give you head start on everyone else allowing you to stand out to the DS , unless you become a sharpshooter/marksman/sniper its unlikely you`ll learn anything more than blatting Fig11 targets at up to 3-400 meters , I`ve seen ex Squaddies come onto firing ranges and they have no idea how to zero a scoped rifle or what MRAD`s are , iron sight /Susat/ACOG shooting and at relatively close ranges is all they`d been taught.

How do you know this stuff?

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland

Bang on. I was never a sniper but I have done sniper training. And the one lesson that my training corporal said that always stuck with me was that 'the weapon makes the shot, you have to be able to get there, unseen, in order to make that happen'. Your nav (and fieldcraft) needs to be top notch.

And another thing, being a sniper isn't all 'Enemy at the Gates' stuff, I saw snipers in belly scrapes for four days crapping in cling film and doing nothing but writing stuff down. They are mostly int assets, not killers. Something to consider.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe did you know any NCO or Sniper that could not read a map? any mortar nco ?
No,I did not know any NCO or Sniper that could not read a map? Or any mortar NCO.
Because from getting yourself or a mortar round from A to B means knowing what is represented on the ground in the form of a piece of paper or more commonly referred to as a map or a chart.
Was how my answer should have been read.

Last edited: