a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opération “Barkhane”

JerMu

Reaction score
Home Country
Reinforcements for Barkhane: 220 more soldiers. FFL or not, I don't know.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Pdt Macron has made it clear that he is p*ssed off with Mali and all their “anti-French” demonstrations.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Reinforcements for Barkhane: 220 more soldiers. FFL or not, I don't know.
Whether France sends the Legion is a good question.
There are Legion units already taking part in the ops. That will take the French contribution to 4,700, whih is nearly as much as the G5 countries put together. Their forces are not trained and will not go out against the jihadhists. Their biggest gripe at the moment is that they want more money :love: :love: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:, yeah right,

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Some Malians want the French out and the Russians to replace them... If this happens, it might be a joint venture with the Turks...
Re: the 2 Serbian alleged journalists arrested and expelled from Mali a while back, probably set up the anti-French resentment, on Moscow's instructions (IMO)
Re bis: Mali already have a security pact signed with Russia

Syria
Libya
Mali
(Ukraine)

Macron wants a European joint venture of special forces.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) Re: the 2 Serbian alleged journalists arrested and expelled from Mali a while back, probably set up the anti-French resentment, on Moscow's instructions (IMO)
Do you have some link on this? Why do you think they were working for the Russians? I would agree that if expelled it's probably true that they are pseudo journalist. Stop putting equality between us and Russians. It's such ignorant thing many westerners do. Yes we have good relationship with them. Also with EU, China and US (with last we had some disagreements in recent past, but we working over that. It was mainly their democrats fault ). You (NATO= US+ UK) think if some small country is not your bitch, then it must be Russian bitch? No we are nobody's bitch for now. Being small country we have to do little bit of bitching here and there for all major powers but Ruskies don't have monopoly on that.

What were those two guys doing there is probably dealing weapons. To rebels? Possibly, but not for Ruskies! For Serbia, and for some Serbian people in power. We recently we had big affair started by a whistleblowe (a worker in ammunition company).
Yanks selling weapons to terrorist left and right (sometimes to those fighting against them). Why should we have moral high ground on that?

Our weapons (not high tech, mainly ammunition, mines, grenades, etc) are present all over place. From Mid East to North Africa, (probably sub-Saharan too) even in Ukraine. Ruskies were pissed on us for that. Russian rebels was targeted with mortar grenade made in Serbia. :)

So no. Unless you have some proof they really worked for Russians, I'm telling you what they probably did.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) Yanks selling weapons to terrorist left and right (sometimes to those fighting against them). Why should we have moral high ground on that? (...)
Look at the Germans... In “Merkel Land”, the German Army is stripped to the bone with saving plans (on purpose) but the country exports weapons like tanks everywhere.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia

Attachments

• F817FD3B-63BC-4188-AFD6-3967BE20E923.jpeg
    F817FD3B-63BC-4188-AFD6-3967BE20E923.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 6BC256F9-AAAF-4BF4-AAA3-F5A98CE9A9A3.jpeg
    6BC256F9-AAAF-4BF4-AAA3-F5A98CE9A9A3.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 8

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Cheers for them Pink Floyd, it goes to show how spread out the French really are. And that is just Berkhane. It does not say how the G5 are spread out, although I'd say that each is only trying to protect his own country.
I'd start by finding out how the EUs tax payers' money is being spent.
But that is by the by, let's get down to the boys on the ground. There is a strong chance that if you join within the year you will get in at least one OPEX:). And that is what it's all about. Some of you may never have left your own country (or even your own state) before joining the legion. Next thing you know you are going to a country that has not made any significant developpements in the last few decades, even a century, with mud huts and straw or corregated iron roofs.
You will see things that will be hard to explain to your family and friends, because they cannot imagine that people live like that.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Some of you may never have left your own country (or even your own state)
What came about same unless you are American or Aussie. Am I right? (state -country thing)
Next thing you know you are going to a country that has not made any significant developpements in the last few decades, even a century, with mud huts and straw or corregated iron roofs.
And you suddenly feel at home. And you say to yourself. "Damn! I joined legion in order to escape this shit and here I am now again in mud to the knees" :)
I'm kidding. We doing here bit better than Africa and I I was leaving my country. (To be fair not too many times and not too far)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You will see things that will be hard to explain to your family and friends, because they cannot imagine that people live like that.
So did you get any trophies from your Travels Joe? I know Pink Floyd and voltigeur have collections at home. Maybe a skull trophy? 😁

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
So did you get any trophies from your Travels Joe? I know Pink Floyd and voltigeur have collections at home. Maybe a skull trophy? 😁
Regrettably, i haven't got a thing. I've just bought a new computer and haven't gotten round to installing hte external keyboard yet, so bear with me.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
OK, everything is up and running with the new ordi.* I have received this form Ossie O. It makes for a very interesting read. Cheers mate:

Barkhane: France to deploy 220 experienced troops 'accustomed to operating in the Sahel'

The big question is, who does France think is up to the task? Fortunately Pdt Macron has military advisers to guide him on subjects like this. The question is will he listen to them? Need I remind you of general Puga's (ancien Chef de corps du REP) decision to resign. OK this is a different subject, however it just goes to show ”Jupiter”** as he is nicknamed, only takes orders from la vieille ( 24 years difference).

, 1579397059132.png

* Ordi = ordinateur = computer.
** Jupiter (Latin: Iuppiter) is the king of the gods in Roman mythology. He was the god of the sky and thunder. He is known as Zeus in Greek mythology. His brother's name was Pluto and his sister was Ceres.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
So after ticking off the politburo on the 'what are you listening to today' about being way off topic why am I posting a video about NATO who are not involved in Barkhane -drones on the Barkhane thread? Because it is that type of ordinance that if the US decides to pull out it's support that they will take with them.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So after ticking off the politburo on the 'what are you listening to today' about being way off topic why am I posting a video about NATO who are not involved in Barkhane -drones on the Barkhane thread? Because it is that type of ordinance that if the US decides to pull out it's support that they will take with them.

Why should France and EU always rely on US? Should build their own military capability and being able to function without cry for help to big brother. So do Americans supporting France in Barkhane with drones? France have "EADS Harfang". Do they use it down in Africa? "nEUROn" would be cool toy when come to service.
Also do Legionnaires today use FULMAR (small rucksack, tactical drone)?

It's amazing and frightening in same time when you see capabilities of this machines (and wee don't see all they are capable of) Even more so if we think what they would look like after 20-30 y.
Its cool to have them on your side, but what when bad guys (or those against you) get one of those? Its frightening when you see what all these cameras and sensors could do. https://militaryethernet.com/4-military-sensor-technologies-drones-transporting-commercial-market/. And this are tehnologies available commercially! Wonder what they developing right now.

I'm scared that this and similar surveillance technologies should be used in evil purposes.Whether by bad guys or more likely by police states closely monitoring every one of us and every our activity. Do we really want that? "Yes but it would make world safer place". Depends for who. F that.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Marsouins will deploy to Barkhane in June
No unit has a monopole on Barkhane.
Rep will do its rotations at the same Pacé as the others