a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to be in France Training to Join?

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Say you get the tourist visa and aren't fit yet to join. Is it realistic to train when you get to France or other parts of Europe, live there illegally for a bit and get fit to join? Suffering from a very toxic community here at home.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hi JP,
At the moment, being illegally in Europe is not a good idea. Nothing in Europe is realistic if you are there illegally.
Use the three months visa wisely, if you obtained one. Have you considered finding a job on French farm for instance?
Not sure how it goes for non EU citizens, but we had an American who found a job at the French farm - learned the language and stayed fit, then joined LLE.
Think about it.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If I was you, I would move away from the community that you are living in, perhaps go to another island and try and find some work. I mention this because going to France can be VERY expensive. However if you do decide to do that, than go during the fruit picking season. they will take on more cheap labor to do the hard part of things. Those are the two key words, cheap and hard.
Be careful though, France is cracking down on illegals these days. Try google to find out if there is a possibility of doing it legitimately.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Say you get the tourist visa and aren't fit yet to join. Is it realistic to train when you get to France or other parts of Europe, live there illegally for a bit and get fit to join? Suffering from a very toxic community here at home.
Don't know what would happen if you turn up at the gates as illegal. In the past that would not be a problem, today ... who knows.
But you can ask for asylum at the end of your visa. Even if not granted one it would probably buy you enough time for second attempt (if you are told to get back in 6 months).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Don't know what would happen if you turn up at the gates as illegal. In the past that would not be a problem, today ... who knows.
But you can ask for asylum at the end of your visa. Even if not granted one it would probably buy you enough time for second attempt (if you are told to get back in 6 months).
The big question is what is he going to live on. If he can afford to live in France for 6 months, than he can surely change cities or towns or villages or islands.
I would strongly advise you not to go to France in poor health condition, hoping to get fit -unless you go to Lourdes- and hoping to get by on very little money,

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
True Joe. We don't know what his situation is.
JPatricio why do you think you wouldn't be fit to join? And why you can stay home until get fit? What languages do you speak? I guess you get away with English in France for some manual labor which don't require much explaining and talking.

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
True Joe. We don't know what his situation is.
JPatricio why do you think you wouldn't be fit to join? And why you can stay home until get fit? What languages do you speak? I guess you get away with English in France for some manual labor which don't require much explaining and talking.

I have gained weight over the two years from poor diet choices. I was fit a few years ago and was nearly ready to get a tourist visa to France but I really let myself go. People here in our community don't like me very much and people keep making up stories about me and keep bringing up something I did around 2011. I got mistaken for something I didn't do and people are treating me as if I did it. Which is total garbage because a guy who was thrown in jail was being treated better than me. And it was just an argument on freaking Facebook. Tried working on a different island but people already heard of me here too. Thought about joining the YPG also and just live there instead, but ISIS has been mostly defeated in the Middle East, so no point joining them. Can't join the Spanish Legion because they don't accept Filipinos. Can't join the US military also because thank you to our great leaders. And the boat to join our military has long since passed. Too old to enlist. And I don't think I am officer material to apply. Dying doesnt really scare me. And I dont plan on marrying as well. Just want a reset or second chance that the Legion can give.

Also Dusa, I speak English, Tagalog, and I had 2 classes in French in University. But I forgot most I learned about French as I didnt practice it often enough.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Man, you have time on your favour, but do not leave it too late
Living on an island IS not cool, imo
Once you have done the tour..what do you do next?
Die of claustrophobie ?
Hike your arse else where
Best sense you will ever read, guarenteed!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I have gained weight over the two years from poor diet choices. I was fit a few years ago and was nearly ready to get a tourist visa to France but I really let myself go. People here in our community don't like me very much and people keep making up stories about me and keep bringing up something I did around 2011. I got mistaken for something I didn't do and people are treating me as if I did it. Which is total garbage because a guy who was thrown in jail was being treated better than me. And it was just an argument on freaking Facebook. Tried working on a different island but people already heard of me here too. Thought about joining the YPG also and just live there instead, but ISIS has been mostly defeated in the Middle East, so no point joining them. Can't join the Spanish Legion because they don't accept Filipinos. Can't join the US military also because thank you to our great leaders. And the boat to join our military has long since passed. Too old to enlist. And I don't think I am officer material to apply. Dying doesnt really scare me. And I dont plan on marrying as well. Just want a reset or second chance that the Legion can give.

Also Dusa, I speak English, Tagalog, and I had 2 classes in French in University. But I forgot most I learned about French as I didnt practice it often enough.
WTF that bad you did (not did) on FB? You can PM if you feel like sharing that.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Dude... Watch what you write on here 🙂
The Legion may or may not look on here....