a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film & TV series

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Anyone watched 1917 (2019)? Description sound like British Saving Private Ryan placed placed in WW1. Won golden globe for best film so it should be good I guess.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
were you familiar with this ss marching song shown in the WW2 tanks movie "fury"?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It has the "ah ha ha ha ha ha ha" from the 2rep song. Just noticed it when watching the film the other day.
Mais le diable marche avec nous Ha...
A lot of the legion songs were influenced by the huge German influx after WW2. For some it was La légion or internment or in a few cases Nuremberg.
Of course the legion was glad to have these experienced soldiers with nothing better to do for the next 5 years; Algeria and Morocco still needed patrolling not to mention the war in Indochina which began on 19th Dec 1946.
When I joined up in '84 there were still a lot of legion songs sung in the original German. Someone with a bright idea in a high ranking position thought it best to have them translated into French.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mais le diable marche avec nous Ha...
A lot of the legion songs were influenced by the huge German influx after WW2. For some it was La légion or interment or in a few cases Nuremberg.
Of course the legion was glad to have these experienced soldiers with nothing better to do for the next 5 years; Algeria and Morocco still needed patrolling not to mention the war in Indochina which began on 19th Dec 1946.
When I joined up in '84 there were still a lot of legion songs sung in the original German. Someone with a bright idea in a high ranking position thought it best to have them translated into French.
like i wrote one time before my wifes Grandfather had a friend who went to the Legion. Both served in Russia. I never met him but my wife said he visited her Grandfather a lot in uniform. He was taken prisoner in Vietnam. Not sure if he was REP

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I've seen "1917", I liked it a lot. The camera was superb, it is modern these days - to show the claustrophobia of open space and suspense of what's behind next hill, house, bushes. (y)

legio31

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Full metal jacket and saving private Ryan are the 2 best I think .This one deathwatch 2002 a war horror I thought was quality about a haunted trench in WW1 .

In the middle of World War I, nine British soldiers caught behind enemy lines seek refuge in a complex network of German trenches. What they soon discover is that they aren't alone - and it isn't a German soldier that's hunting them down.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Anyone watched "Greyhound (2020)"? By looking on trailer looks it have too much of crappy CGI.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Anyone watched "Greyhound (2020)"? By looking on trailer looks it have too much of crappy CGI.
I've seen it. Not a bad watch, but nothing special.
Could be good.
I saw that trailer, it got me interested - its' based on a novel by J.M. Coetzee. Reading it may be a better choice (for me).
Always better than a movie, and this one happens in an imaginary place and time. Cast of the movie is interesting, definitely.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Dusa, I finished the second half of watching it th]is evening. I had to watch it in two sittings as it's the WE. The Box runs with internet and therefore the more people connected on the internet, the slower the reception. I absolutely wanted to watch the movie on the cinema. However at the moment the two cineplex here in Hua Hin are only showing Thai films at the moment.
So yesterday I had finished my hour of Excel VBA earlier than expected, So I switched on the box and clicked on "people watching'. What do you think was the #1 movie that people were watching? Correct].

There is very little story Per se ( it was act]ually Tom Hanks who wrote the screenplay, based on a book by (someone) Forester., called the guarding Shepard?)
Although there is lots of action - a lot of which just would never happen in real life, such as Subs surfacing to take on destroyers- but the action is there.

I believe it was H.S. Forester who wrote the book. I've written down downstairs ( a bit late to go down just to prove a point). I wrote it down so that Erika can check out the local used-book shop, you never know.