a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
So... Joining isn't possible at the moment, that's official, but does anyone know anything about leaving? Does the pandemic affect legionnaires who are towards the end of their contract? 2020 was supposed to be the year when the 2015 recruitment surge is having its first 'echo', having to replace all the people who got in when the 13e DBLE was made into a proper regiment. If people can leave just the same, that regiment should be losing compagnies worth of people, no?
I don't imagine the Legion retaining legionnaires who have reached their EOC against their will. The problem I see for them will be more if they want to travel back to their home-country because of the travel restrictions currently in place. Legionnaires who joined in 2015 were not all assigned to 13e DBLE and in the last 5 years, some of them who went to this regiment might have been reassigned to other units. So, I don't expect either 13e DBLE to suddenly lose any significant portion of its headcount.

I think USA don't taking this serious enough. They refusing to take any acute measures, give up personal freedoms or put businesses at hold and we would see massive rise in new cases in that country. From what statistic saying us measure for now not showing any results in most other countries so in that case doesn't really matter...
Since then, it appears that Trumpy has changed opinion. As usual... See where the wind is coming from and follow the flow. Until the next about-face... :rolleyes:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
(...) This IS time for panic. Some people have to get more serious about this. I mean not stupid unreasonable panic like stockpiling toilet paper and food, but get reasonable and take necessary measures to slow down this pandemic. If our countries and we allow to spread rapidly so our medical systems become overwhelmed, there would be many unnecessary deaths. .We see that in Italy, now Spain to and I'm afraid that would happen to US if they immediately don't take drastic measures. (...)
Dušane,
I'm reading that Serbia closed its borders for its own citizens. Is that true?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dušane,
I'm reading that Serbia closed it's borders for it's own citizens - Is that true?
It's not true. Where did you hear that? :)
They're going in home isolation for 14 days and the police is randomly checking that they respect that. I think from yesterday they're going in state-organized quarantine for 14 days because many of them did not respect home isolation. Not sure about that. Most of them all already came anyway.
You probably thinking about people who are stranded in airports all over the world because of grounded flights. Serbia is organizing flights for them. There's also a group of Serbs stacked on Austro-Hungarian border. Hungary won't let them pass.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I read that information in our media too. It is probably people who don't have any means of transportation to get home because of no flights, no buses, etc.. Info that they come to Serbian border and then get back to Slovenia is probably added by Croatian media. It happens all the time. We bashing on you, you bashing on us (I mean media and politicians).

Do you think that they would go back to Slovenia if they were already on Serbian border? If that is case it means that Croatia chase them away from their territory. :) But no, that is not case. It's just media making click bait titles,

Truth is, we had problem with large number of our citizens coming back from West EU in same time. Many of them coming back from corona hot spots. From yesterday they are being sent to state organized quarantine , but until yesterday we have to believe them on word that they don't have any symptoms and would do 14 days quarantine at home. Not even body temperature was measured. I'm sure Croatia have same problem along with Bosnia.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I just hope everybody gets home safely and feel for those who are in that process.
In the link I posted, the info on their route was given by "A.B." (unless that person is made up - which I doubt).
I read it, wandered about it, figured I'd ask you.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Since then, it appears that Trumpy has changed opinion. As usual... See where the wind is coming from and follow the flow. Until the next about-face... :rolleyes:
Yeah but just a little bit and only in words. He's still not taking almost any measures. This is what he said. President Trump said he “would love to have the country opened up, and just raring to go, by Easter”. Well... Good luck with that Mr. President.

Alas every state deciding for themselve, which is great, but not in this situation. If the USA were attacked by the Russians there would be no problem to put marshal law in place and deciding heavily centralized about everything, but somehow this situation to them is not even remotely close to first one.

I just watched the governor of New York beg other regions for respirators. If they give them that it would be political suicide for person doing that because pretty soon they would lacking them too. In same time he (governor) is not doing anything to prevent spreading.

Maybe that's a better option. Let some old people die (many of them would die even with measures) and save the economy as much as possible. I just have some doubts whether they would stick to the same policy, once bodies start piling up. And with this type of strategy, they will very soon.
Florida implemented required quarantine 14 days for people flying from NY but they already have 2,000 cases and they're not testing. Also everyone hanging on the beaches having fun :). “Oh, corona yeah, right, I heard about it, it's some nasty flu from China, isn't it ?” :sneaky:
And they are only. Other states rely on people's honesty. OMG

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I just hope everybody gets home safely and feel for those who are in that process.
In the link I posted, the info on their route was given by "A.B." (unless that person is made up - which I doubt).
I read it, wandered about it, figured I'd ask you.
They would come home, eventually. Whatever story is true.
There is one other possibility. Many Serbs who came here from Croatia during 90s took Croatian passport so they can work in EU. Even those born here. Believe me, those people was loudest on hate against Croatia and then they took Croatian passport and get quiet. Just like that.
It's possible they making them problem becouse of that. And it's reasonable if that is case. When is good for you you are Croat , But now when shit hit fan you are Serb again. So you nationality that depending on situation. Not fair. I cant go to work in EU, but they can. Also some of them still getting help as war refugees. It was 25 years ago for god sake!

Also is possible that he A.B. have Slovenian passport Because Serbia banned entrance for them

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Yeah but just a little bit and only in words. He's still not taking almost any measures. This is what he said. President Trump said he “would love to have the country opened up, and just raring to go, by Easter”. Well... Good luck with that Mr. President. (...)
Trump is first and foremost concerned about is re-election and is afraid that if this CoVid-19 pandemics causes a massive economic crisis, it could jeopardize it. So he's been moving back and forth different opinions, trying adapt to a changing situation. Having said that, when he says in one of his numerous tweets that “We can't have the cure be worse than the problem” I must say he has a point.
(...) Maybe that's a better option. Let some old people die (many of them would die even with measures) and save the economy as much as possible. I just have some doubts whether they would stick to the same policy, once bodies start piling up. And with this type of strategy, they will very soon. (...)
That's exactly the dilemma... Trying to save the economy by “sacrificing” elder or weakest people can also have a huge political cost (let alone, of course, the human cost).
(...) Also everyone hanging on the beaches having fun :). “Oh, corona yeah, right, I heard about it, it's some nasty flu from China, isn't it ?” :sneaky: (...)
And that is for the most educated ones... Otherwise, you may have comments like “Corona, you mean the Mexican beer? What's the problem with it?”... :D

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Definitely some astute political observations in here, guys. I see the path unfolding one of three ways:

1) Come November, the economy has cratered to the point the American populace has lost all confidence in Trump, and Biden wins in a landslide. Call this the “Black Swan” scenario.

2) The economy doesn't tank, but we're still in the midst of a crisis. In this case, the American public has a choice between a guy who is perceived as a strong leader, or tottering, senile, Creepy Uncle Joe. People have a tendency to follow Alpha Male types while in the midst of an existential panic; it's why people follow dictators and why women tend to fall for douchebags. Fear is by far the strongest human emotion. In this scenario, Biden gets his a$$ handed to him.

3) The economy doesn't crater, and the COVID-19 crisis is on the mend. Trump is seen as the guy who led us through the second coming of the Black Death, and wins by a landslide.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Trump is first and foremost concerned about is re-election and is afraid that if this CoVid-19 pandemics causes a massive economic crisis, it could jeopardize it. So he's been moving back and forth different opinions, trying adapt to a changing situation. Having said that, when he says in one of his numerous tweets that “We can't have the cure be worse than the problem” I must say he has a point.
Of course he has a point. I'm sure that the US government know where this is going and what would be best solution.
But politics ... I think in this scenario democracy would prove less effective than dictatorship. They can't simply put whole America under lockdown right now because that would ruin their political careers. Also when people really start to die in massive numbers, they can't left everything (economy) going on because that would also hurt them politically.
We see that all over Europe. Politicians taking measures only after some serious effects have been seen in their country. If they reacted earlier that could save many lives and even and control the pandemics. This way they just giving enough time for virus to spread and then taking drastic measures what litle F-er is all over the place. It's just happens to fast.
It's not time when someone should think about political career or what would people think about him. It's time to act! Unfortunately only small number of people getting that right way. It's like Titanic going to iceberg. We can see it coming, some of us try to steer out of it. But clash is unavoidable. Especially with America.
Some countries looks to do well. Like Germany, South Korea, Japan. Testing is crucial and only small number of countries doing it nearly enough.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Definitely some astute political observations in here, guys. I see the path unfolding one of three ways:

1) Come November, the economy has cratered to the point the American populace has lost all confidence in Trump, and Biden wins in a landslide. Call this the "Black Swan"scenario.

2) The economy doesn't tank, but we're still in the midst of a crisis. In this case, the American public has a choice between a guy who is perceived as a strong leader, or tottering, senile, Creepy Uncle Joe. People have a tendency to follow Alpha Male types while in the midst of an existential panic; it's why people follow dictators and why women tend to fall for douchebags. Fear is by far the strongest human emotion. In this scenario, Biden gets his a$$ handed to him.

3) The economy doesn't crater, and the COVID-19 crisis is on the mend. Trump is seen as the guy who led us through the second coming of the Black Death, and wins by a landslide

Crawdad my friend . Don't get mad at me, but I have to say this. OK?

Are you (your politicians, but ordinary folks too) aware that tomorrow (literally tomorrow at this time) you would have more cases than China and you are only at beginning of the pandemic. This is typical American point of view. They care about elections, about business, about everything else and then at almost last place is "people gonna die".
Yes, many people would die if you medical system got overwhelmed as happened in Italy and Spain. And everything telling me that is exactly what gonna happen in US. I hope I'm wrong and something would change, but you guys have to do something and I'm not seeing enough is done.

OK if you choose economy over old and sick people's lives that's fine. Its reasonable. But (as I said) you have to hold to that until end of this in order to work and have effect (that is really hard to be done). Also you need to do that on federal level. Now every state, every region decides for itself. Also I don't see one politician in US who would hold to that "sacrifice policy" once people start to die in great numbers in his region. Evan that governor of Texas. I mean, his plan sounds reasonable but it's easy to talk about that when his state have 1000 infected and 10 deaths. Would he hold to that policy once Texas have 1000 and more deaths?

With all this I'm writing I'm not calling for catastrophe to come upon US. I'm hoping that my prediction are wrong not only because I like America (more than Russia and China ;)) and I really do like USA. But also when things start to get bad in US, whole world would more or less feel that.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Crawdad my friend . Don't get mad at me, but I have to say this. OK?

Are you (your politicians, but ordinary folks too) aware that tomorrow (literally tomorrow at this time) you would have more cases than China and you are only at beginning of the pandemic. This is typical American point of view. They care about elections, about business, about everything else and then at almost last place is "people gonna die".
Yes, many people would die if you medical system got overwhelmed as happened in Italy and Spain. And everything telling me that is exactly what gonna happen in US. I hope I'm wrong and something would change, but you guys have to do something and I'm not seeing enough is done.

OK if you choose economy over old and sick people's lives that's fine. Its reasonable. But (as I said) you have to hold to that until end of this in order to work and have effect (that is really hard to be done). Also you need to do that on federal level. Now every state, every region decides for itself. Also I don't see one politician in US who would hold to that "sacrifice policy" once people start to die in great numbers in his region. Evan that governor of Texas. I mean, his plan sounds reasonable but it's easy to talk about that when his state have 1000 infected and 10 deaths. Would he hold to that policy once Texas have 1000 and more deaths?

With all this I'm writing I'm not calling for catastrophe to come upon US. I'm hoping that my prediction are wrong not only because I like America (more than Russia and China ;)) and I really do like USA. But also when things start to get bad in US, whole world would more or less feel that.
is Europe any better dusa??

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well I went for my 90 days report to the immigration. It opens at 11 we arrived at 10:20, half an hour bicycle ride in the heat of Thailand, Nest month is the official start of Summer. At the entrance to the shopping mall, they took our temperatures, as is the norm. Erika had 35,7 and I had 36,2. I don't need to remind anyone that the normal body temperature is 37. I have since figured where they are going wrong. Their "gun" is pointed at your forehead at least 10 centimeters away. So basically what they are reading is the the outside temperature,;)

Now the thing with the 7 elevens - I'll get to the immigration in a moment- is that they have put markings on the floor. this is to keep shoppers apart, which is all well and good, except that there is no way that it will work in Thailand. Whenever you go into a 7, your first impression is that it is packed and that you will wait forever to get served. Not so. When you get a group of thais who go into the 7, they have this most annoying habit of all of them waiting until the last person has been served before leaving the shop. A shoplifters paradise anywhere else.

So I'm sitting down waiting for the immigration to open, it used to be open at 10:30,

There are loads of people waiting outside, quite simply because they cannot leave the country. At ten to eleven, people start forming a crowd outside. I'd like to be able to say that they were queuing up, but they weren't. Once the door was open, you can forget about "social distance" or whatever it is called.
When you first go through the door, on your left is a ticket machine. Button one is for 90 reporting and button number two is for any other subjects. to speed things up they have got a young trainee next to the ticket machine just in case. Out of the 4 desks there were only two employees who turned up. Basically one is for the 90 days and the other one is for other matters. OK, simple.

Oh no, not so simple. The first person to go through has a question to ask the trainee. Instead of just punching out the number 2 ticket and pointing to the counter, she's trying to explain to the young woman why she can only get an extension for 7 days instead of the usual 30 days, and that it is the same price.
Of course people waiting outside are getting heated up. I think that if you had the guy with his temperature gun, I'm sure that half of us would be in quarantine now, me first. To cut a long story short, when it came to my turn at the desk , it took the immigration officer 4 minutes to stamp my passport. However, if someone did have the Kro 19 in the mass of people, then I'm sure that I've got it too.

BTW, check out the photos to get an Idea of what it is like. In one of the photos, you will see a beardy guy in a white tee shirt. that is outside the the immigration office,

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well I went for my 90 days report to the immigration. It opens at 22 we arrived at 10:20, half an hour bicycle ride in the heat of Thailand, Nest month is the official start of Summer. At the entrance to the shopping mall, they took our temperatures, as is the norm. Erika had 35,7 and I had 36,2. I don't need to remind anyone that the normal body temperature is 37. I have since figured where they are going wrong. Their "gun" is pointed at your forehead at least 10 centimeters away. So basically what they are reading is the the outside temperature,;)

Now the thing with the 7 elevens - I'll get to the immigration in a moment- is that they have put markings on the floor. this is to keep shoppers apart, which is all well and good, except that there is no way that it will work in Thailand. Whenever you go into a 7, your first impression is that it is packed and that you will wait forever to get served. Not so. When you get a group of thais who go into the 7, they have this most annoying habit of all of them waiting until the last person has been served before leaving the shop. A shoplifters paradise anywhere else.

So I'm sitting sown waiting for the immigration to open, it used to be open at 10:30,
Well whatever happens best of luck mate and be safe. and that applies to everyone on the forum.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
is Europe any better dusa??
Mark, yes i think Europe is better (If we don't count 2 countries). It's maybe early to say that and I'm not up to any pro Europe partisanship here, but I can't unseen what America doing (not doing)

Italy reacted too late. Can't blame them. Before Italy happen not many people out of China (even experts) took this seriously enough. European countries learned at least partially on Italy's and Spain's mistakes. America don't do that.
And they had enough time to react. New York is couple weeks in front of Europe, most of other big American cities are couple weeks in front of New York. What happens in New York in next month its mirror for rest of America if nothing is done.

Listened Trump yesterday, all he talked about is money. Economy need to be worried about, but there is another more important things at this moment. Let's hope that this massive increase in number of infected in US is result in big number of testings.
It's unbelievably fast rise. You reload https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ in few minutes and its couple hundreds more!

Last edited:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dusa, this type of of interrogation is why I put on a nasal accent and pretend to be Québécois when I'm in Europe/around Europeans*. Because when you're a fake Canadian, they only ask you about poutine and if it really snows that much. When you're American, you better have a doctorate in poli sci. Tabernak.

To answer your battery of questions-- Dude. I don't fuggin know, I just live here.

* The French are the exception. Around them, I find that I can be my honest self. Maybe because they expect me to be a bit of a savage. I'm not sure why.
** I should note that I've never met a Brit, Aussie, or Kiwi that I didn't like (By contrast, the first proper Frenchman I ever met, I threw off a balcony-- long story) ---Lest I come off as some overly biased Francophile.