a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANSWERED What do you make of these two scumbags?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I was marched off the parade ground for 'dumb insolence' straight to the Guardroom Cells. Spent one night and learnt to clean the heads with a tooth brush. Also to paint all the bricks white. Then full kit muster every 4 hours, never satisfactory. Finally an extra dill in full fighting order on the mad acre. (Parade Ground)

All an interesting experience with several former WW2 Cdos NCOs' as instructors. Very hard but very fair and not bullies.
Sounds familiar. ;)

enjolras

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
In Kreider Algeria, the jail cell was a 4 ft. long, 4 ft wide by 5 ft. high concrete cell.
In Saida they had regular concrete cells.
In Company discipline the cells were about 4 ft wide, 6 ft long by 7 ft. high with a dirt floor.
In khenchela Algeria, the jail cell was a hole in the ground covered with wooden planks, in one corner was a pail where they would drop the food in, the other corner a pail for human waste.
You had to hope that the food was dropped in the appropriate pail.
The prisoner would be let out of the hole every day to do corvee etc.
For "serious " crimes like deserting or stealing stuff from the legion, you could get three times a day to run, crawl and the duck walk with a backpack filled with rocks.
2REP still has 8000 TAP every morning
cheers Joe...this was unthinkable 30 years ago. We had two choices 1: shut up and cop it on the chin. 2: or admit to oneself that the the Legion was a wrong decision, and do a runner. Maybe these two lads thought they were joining the boy scouts. Good riddance!
was still the same when I joined, but I think my section was a bit behind the times...

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
Are you sure about that? An 8k every morning. I very much doubt it.
Yes...I did 7 days last year, 5.30 reveille, 6.00 8 mille TAP but no sacs around the place d’arme, except the corvee OP, which the plus anciens usually take so they don’t have to run. But this could possibly change with who is in charge of the service generale

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes...I did 7 days last year, 5.30 reveille, 6.00 8 mille TAP but no sacs around the place d’arme, except the corvee OP, which the plus anciens usually take so they don’t have to run. But this could possibly change with who is in charge of the service generale
So I take it you are talking about being in Jail. 8 kms around the place d'armes ?
1586015144711.png

I'd have thought that you'd be dizzy by then. It would take about (I have no idea how many laps) to 8 kilometers.
You should have mentioned to someone that any organized physical activity before eating breakfast is strictly forbidden. In fact I'm sure that there were some cadre, notably the Officer de Permenance who should have put a stop to it. I know because I spent a year as guard punis in the REP.
I'm sorry what company did you say you were in?

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
So I take it you are talking about being in Jail. 8 kms around the place d'armes ?
View attachment 6089

I'd have thought that you'd be dizzy by then. It would take about (I have no idea how many laps) to 8 kilometers.
You should have mentioned to someone that any organized physical activity before eating breakfast is strictly forbidden. In fact I'm sure that there were some cadre, notably the Officer de Permenance who should have put a stop to it. I know because I spent a year as guard punis in the REP.
I'm sorry what company did you say you were in?
Sorry I meant in taule, not in compatible combat, that’s a bit too motivated I think. It’s a lot of laps, I don’t remember how many because it was a year ago. As for mentioning it to somebody, I’m not so sure that’s a reality...it’s 2REP, I was a 1st classe, it was the orders of the ADC in charge of the service generale (who admittedly was a tad psychotic). And I didn’t mention my company, the PLE loves to gander at these forums

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I wouldn't worry too much about the PLE (whoever they are) as you are now a civvy.
I doubt if the ADC was around before 7:30, as I've said I spent a year as a garde punis. So what company were you in? I started off in the CEA, came back as a CCh and spent a year in the CCS and then went to the 3rd, you see, no worries about divulging which company were in Once you leave.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Sorry I meant in taule, not in compatible combat, that’s a bit too motivated I think.
Are you referring to the photo? As you (should) know it's a routine jump on the DZ behind the regiment. I borrowed one of Pink Floyd's photos of the place d'arme. I see that you are still on the forum at the moment, can you help us out a bit here,
Cheers.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hold on a second where'd he go!
He's disappeared. I was only asking about him being in jail in the REP and what company he was in.
I mean for someone who comes from French Polynesia and speaks such good English, he's worth talking to.
Am I wrong !

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
I wouldn't worry too much about the PLE (whoever they are) as you are now a civvy.
I doubt if the ADC was around before 7:30, as I've said I spent a year as a garde punis. So what company were you in? I started off in the CEA, came back as a CCh and spent a year in the CCS and then went to the 3rd, you see, no worries about divulging which company were in Once you leave.
No, I’m not a civvy I’m still in, and I’ve heard of legionnaires being busted because of what they’ve posted so no thank you I will not be posting the company. I don’t know where the ADC was around at the time but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was out and about inspecting things, as I said he had a bit of a reputation and if he mentioned some order it was carried out. Recently tried to sign another contract and was rejected from what I heard.

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
Are you referring to the photo? As you (should) know it's a routine jump on the DZ behind the regiment. I borrowed one of Pink Floyd's photos of the place d'arme. I see that you are still on the forum at the moment, can you help us out a bit here,
Cheers.
No I was referring to when I said taule, I meant in jail like you said in the previous post, and compatible combat is what my autocorrect thinks when I type in “compagnie combat”

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
Hold on a second where'd he go!
He's disappeared. I was only asking about him being in jail in the REP and what company he was in.
I mean for someone who comes from French Polynesia and speaks such good English, he's worth talking to.
Am I wrong !
I went to soupe, and I don’t come from Polynesia, I’m an anglophone.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
So just to make things clear to everyone, where is the jail and the officier de permenance on the photo?