a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book on sniper and direct action studies

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
Hi everyone, lately i have been reading some books on special operations in particular Adm William McRaven's theory of special operations. In that book he explained his theory on special operations and what constitutes a special operation and the key factors that make them fail/ succeed. His definition of special operations excluded the other missions undertaken by SOF in general, e.g sepcial reconnaisance, psyops, counter insurgency, etc and focuses only on direct action raid mission. Their he defined a special operation as an operation that involves a small unit of highly trained and motivated men attacking an entrenched and more numerous foe who has the advantage in both numbers and position. In the book hos basic tenet was that an attacking SOF must achieve what he termed relative superiority. He also mentioned 6 principles of special operations namely simplicity (based on good intel, limited objectives, and tactical & technological innovation), surprise (deception, timing, and exposing gaps in enemy defenses), speed (getting to the objective ASAP), security, repetition, and purpose, which must always be taken into consideration in the planning and execution phases of the operation. From that theory he analyzed several special operation undertaken and why they failed or succeeded. His language is quite simple and not a lot of technical jargon that civvies like me could understand. Im hoping you guys can give recommendations on books like this one but focuses solely on sniper mission (executing a target). So far I found US Army sniper manual and also John Plaster's book the ultimate sniper which is good, however i think both those books are more suited for those in active duty. Me, I just want to learn the basics and the principles of running sniping operations (infiltrate-walk to OP- shoot the target- scoot- exfiltrate).
Thanks.
Fyi I wanted to upload some books in here for you guys but the file's too big.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I book I listened to recently is called "the Red Circle" about a SEAL sniper instructor, it was good. He talks about training snipers to operate without a spotter.

Here is a clip from the sniper comp. Where the 13 dble won first.

PS. I don't know sh*t.

Stellar Mella

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
I book I listened to recently is called "the Red Circle" about a SEAL sniper instructor, it was good. He talks about training snipers to operate without a spotter.

Here is a clip from the sniper comp. Where the 13 dble won first.

PS. I don't know sh*t.
Oh yeah, i think the author's name is brandon webb, i have the ebook versiom of it, he has a couple of books about snipers, one of them titled the killing school which goes in depth about the traininh and all but the full ebook version is not available