a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Particularly if we're talking about Western NC and Northeast AL. Both of those regions are part of Appalachia and were settled largely by Ulster Scots ("Scots-Irish"). Differences in accent between those regions are minute (Both are a Nasal "twang", with "R"'s in places they shouldn't be; "wash"becomes "warsh", 'tomato' becomes 'tomater' ).

So too Central NC and AL; both were largely settled by the English-- hence, a gutteral non-rhotic 'Drawl'. R's often get dropped-- "water" becomes "watuh", 'Charlie' sounds like "Chahly".

However, along the coasts of both states, things get really fuggin weird. You run into things like a "Carolina Brogue", which frankly isn't even recognizable as American. To me, it sounds like a Scotsman singing Johnny Cash songs Karaoke after drinking a liter of paint thinner. Similarly, along Alabama's Gulf Coast you find a different accent every other town or so; and southwest of Mobile, you start encountering little bits of French in everyday speech. Case in point-- until I joined the Army, I had no idea that Pirogue, Pilé, or Pain Perdu weren't actually English words.
Funny how every little town have its own accent. then you can go even deeper and distinguish even ways how some families talk... every person have some characteristics in speech, but that couldn't be called accent.

Well, not that easy for me to distinguish every little differences in accent but I'm noticing some basics and funny things going on in some versions of English. :)
It's also interesting how language changes not only geographically, but through the time also. You can hear differences in that video and in old movies, news etc. Significantly different than American English spoken today. I would say that probably every 20 y language evolve so there's noticeable difference,
Englishmen of today wouldn't understand English from 12th century

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Let's hope that anyone on here who joins will give us feed back !!!
When it's my time to go, I will definitely give feedback to the forum on my status. I still have a bit of time before I go though. This forum is the best place with the most discussion to keep in touch on the topic of the Legion. I'm just a wannabe....

I wonder how many people on this forum will try this year. I also wonder how liberal the Legion will be in taking people in as soon as I begins, maybe they will take less at first in general I don't know.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When it's my time to go, I will definitely give feedback to the forum on my status. I still have a bit of time before I go though. This forum is the best place with the most discussion to keep in touch on the topic of the Legion. I'm just a wannabe....

I wonder how many people on this forum will try this year. I also wonder how liberal the Legion will be in taking people in as soon as I begins, maybe they will take less at first in general I don't know.
Tom, Go for it; Et je te souhaite bonne chance.😀

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Particularly if we're talking about Western NC and Northeast AL. Both of those regions are part of Appalachia and were settled largely by Ulster Scots (“Scots-Irish”). Differences in accent between those regions are minute. Both are a nasal “twang”, with R's in places they shouldn't be (e.g. “wash” becomes “warsh”, “tomato” becomes ”tomater”).

So too Central NC and AL; both were largely settled by the English-- hence, a guttural non-rhotic “drawl”. R's often get dropped: “water” becomes “watuh”, “Charlie” sounds like “Chahly”.

However, along the coasts of both states, things get really fuggin weird. You run into things like a “Carolina Brogue”, which frankly isn't even recognizable as American. To me, it sounds like a Scotsman singing Johnny Cash songs Karaoke after drinking a liter of paint thinner. Similarly, along Alabama's Gulf Coast you find a different accent every other town or so; and southwest of Mobile, you start encountering little bits of French in everyday speech. Case in point-- until I joined the Army, I had no idea that Pirogue, Pilé or Pain Perdu weren't actually English words.
My local accent, Montana/Idaho/Wyoming, we pronounce "bag" as "beg," and "suppose" becomes "spose." Also one important thing I've noticed between my area and the East is that in the East a male deer with 5 points on its antlers is called a "10 pointer" cause they count both antler's points, where as we say that the same buck would be a "5 pointer" as we only count one side.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
For me personally, the recruitment starting now works in my favor. I was worried it was going to be way later and result just a mad rush of people at once. I can't exactly go tomorrow anyway, so this is just how it is and things will smooth out by the time I get there. It'll give the Legion some time to iron out the kinks in a fairly post Covid world. Just be aware guys, new US passports are not being issued at the moment. You can only renew, and even that is taking an extended amount of time now. I have to order checks from the bank and then send mine in with the proper payment. Not to mention, I don't think international travel is available yet anyhow. So the Legion opening up recruiting kind of only allows for people who can get there by means other than plane.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks IRL_Legion and rahisan for sharing these two pieces of Information. One thing that I would be careful with, having opened the attachement sent by rashisan, is that they ask you for your address email. It may be that I'm being paranoid, but I would do a little bit of cleaning up my in and out box if I were you.
There is no way that the legion can ask you for your password, that would be against the law.o_O Perhaps it may be a good idea to create a second account, for more personnel correspondences. It may be that you owe money on your house or your ex is nagging about the alimony payments.
This is not going to go down well if you are saying that you have never been married and have no children, or that you have no outstanding debts.
Of course, it would illegal for the legion to pry into someone's private life (which you will be leaving behind for the next 5 years). The same as your facebook account!
When I joined up, we didn't have face book and PCs etc, but I did have a note book on me with some personnel details. Luckily everything was coded, for example the telephone number of my regiment was under a girl's name*
My bank account number was in the form of a tel. number etc. As I've said it was a last minute decision for me to join up, but it was routine for me to 'mask' everything. what if I should loose it?

* The recruiter asked me if I wasn't joining being I'd just split up with my girl friend "playing the Beau Geste" he called it. Although having previously read the book, I couldn't quite my the connection:unsure:. I said no it was my Auntie who had moved to Scotland- Arbroath if I had to be more precise;). He picked up the phone and said he was going to make a call to just make sure. Taking the risk of coming over as insolent, I just shrugged my shoulder.
Luckily he was only joking otherwise he would have gotten "Royal Marine Condor. Duty officer, can I help you?" Which would be unusual for some claiming to be a landscape gardener.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks IRL_Legion and rahisan for sharing these two pieces of Information. One thing that I would be careful with, having opened the attachement sent by rashisan, is that they ask you for your address email. It may be that I'm being paranoid, but I would do a little bit of cleaning up my in and out box if I were you.
There is no way that the legion can ask you for your password, that would be against the law.o_OPerhaps it may be a good idea to create a second account, for more personnel correspondences. It may be that you owe money on your house or your ex is nagging about the alimony payments.
This is not going to go down well if you are saying that you have never been married and have no children, or that you have no outstanding debts.
Of course, it would illegal for the legion to pry into someone's private life (which you will be leaving behind for the next 5 years). The same as your facebook account!
When I joined up, we didn't have face book and PCs etc, but I did have a note book on me with some personnel details. Luckily everything was coded, for example the telephone number of my regiment was under a girl's name*
My bank account number was in the form of a tel. number etc. As I've said it was a last minute decision for me to join up, but it was routine for me to 'mask' everything. what if I should loose it?

* The recruiter asked me if I wasn't joining being I'd just split up with my girl friend "playing the Beau Geste" he called it. Although having previously read the book, I couldn't quite my the connection:unsure:. I said no it was my Auntie who had moved to Scotland- Arbroath if I had to be more precise;). He picked up the phone and said he was going to make a call to just make sure. Taking the risk of coming over as insolent, I just shrugged my shoulder.
Luckily he was only joking otherwise he would have gotten "Royal Marine Condor. Duty officer, can I help you?" Which would be unusual for some claiming to be a landscape gardener.
Or you can go like I did, passport, shirt, trouser/pants, shoes and socks and underwear.

IRL_legion

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Also it's only open for "invited candidates" only from May 11th so you will have to use the form to apply for now. So as Joe said you will have to give an email and depending on whether there's stuff you dont want to take a chance of them finding out about you then might be best to leave it until the recruitment process is back to normal.
20200505_175507.jpg

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This might be to just reduce a sudden massive influx of recruits in the coming weeks. It might be selection as usual when you are there, but only that each candidate can come at a specified time after submitting the form.

It might also be a way to screen out candidates who won't be coming from particularly ideal circumstances.