a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION I want to send a letter

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What to say? The address is good. You should recontact the person who gave you the information or simply re-send it by normal mail.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
As Joseph said, the address (I gave you btw) is correct. Now the question is "why wasn't the letter delivered?". Probably not a good idea to send it via DHL or any other courrier company. I concur that you should try to send it via regular mail (an enveloppe with a post stamp on it... :D).

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Guys what's the harm ? DHL delivered to France after that the Letter is taken by French company named laposte.fr btw I send it with https://www.deutschepost.de/de.html not DHL so I guess is a normal Letter I just take some code to see if the Letter is delivered nothing more.. I didn't think the problem is the delivery more likely is some guy who is on the door infront who accept the volunteers I mean to throwing away back my Letter .... Which is ridiculous no Matter if they give me answer or not.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There is a whole bureau called the vaguemestre or the regiment's post office if you prefer. They are delivering mail by the sack. It is not like there is a mailman who walks up to the regiment and pops it in the guard booth. Don't forget there are letters and parcels and bills which are sent to the regiment every day.

The fact that yours was addressed to the general would be treated the same as a book or a gift to the museum or an inquiry to the BALE. It will be taken out of the mail bag, registered and sent to the appropriate section.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
You see, I sent the letter through the post but obviously something happened I don't know what. You guys says there is not other way or address where I can send it right ?

I was read some old comments you guys was discussed that again in old topic and someone says the general probably not looking those letters (which is ridiculous ) if there is 2 guys from 2000 definitive writing the letter someone need to give them answering back to tell them try again right ? But first they need to take the letter nlfrom the mail man:)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
someone says the general probably not looking those letters ( which is ridiculous )
You may be correct. And I think that it was I who said that the general does not look at the hundreds - back in the day it was by the thousands, of letters that are addressed to him each day.
So now that you have proved your point, relax, have a beer and enjoy Camerone and the 1st May and we'll take up your case again on Saturday.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
I received that today

On April 23, 2020 you asked us to inform you by email about the current status of your shipment with the number ...

We now have the following information about your shipment:

The shipment was delivered on April 30th, 2020.

Your order to monitor the shipment status ends with this email.

So there is too options is really delivered or is collected somewhere where is not delivered first time for me is strange because for the last message I think they separated that letter because unsuccessful delivery.. now they send me that anyway Joseph if some guys got second chance after definitive it will be read directly from the general right ? No one else have right to bring them back so if they just throwing away those letters who eventually will give that chance ? Whatever it is I send it and it's delivered so will see :)

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I received that today

On April 23, 2020 you asked us to inform you by email about the current status of your shipment with the number ...

So there is too options is really delivered or is collected somewhere where is not delivered first time for me is strange because for the last message I think they separated that letter because unsuccessful delivery.. now they send me that anyway Joseph if some guys got second chance after definitive it will be read directly from the general right ? No one else have right to bring them back so if they just throwing away those letters who eventually will give that chance ? Whatever it is I send it and it's delivered so will see :)
Be patient, give it at least a week or so. Your letter is certainly not a priority to them - which doesn't mean they will not give you an answer. Some time ago, I have sent an e-mail through the message box on Legion's recruiting site (the site it self has changed/updated several times, I don't think that option is still possible). They did answer me, but I think it took two weeks (cca). Their response was more of a generic one, but I do appreciate the professionalism and the attention they gave to it.
How much time you have, or have not on your hands is something they can't help you with or will care about.
Patience and persistence, is all the advice I would give you, my friend.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Be patient, give it at least a week or so. Your letter is certainly not a priority to them - which doesn't mean they will not give you an answer. Some time ago, I have sent an e-mail through the message box on Legion's recruiting site (the site it self has changed/updated several times, I don't think that option is still possible). They did answer me, but I think it took two weeks (cca). Their response was more of a generic one, but I do appreciate the professionalism and the attention they gave to it.
How much time you have, or have not on your hands is something they can't help you with or will care about.
Patience and persistence, is all the advice I would give you, my friend.

Yeah of course man I will do the test and everything for naval service in Ireland very soon it's because of the Corona recruiting it's close now but whatever it is I send this letter if they give me answer I will post it here just to let you know guys what happened and for the future definitive guys who will search in the forum what to do and where to send the letter it will be helpful for them as well. For me personally is not end of the hl and world and shouldn't be life's go on so it is what it is . Still do you remember the email address where you was asking them and recieve the answer ? Or some official site for the legion who they actually have it ?

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Like I said, site has been changed. This looks like the same - but new version of that way/mean of contact:
Whatever answer if any, you get - posting it here would be great for future candidates.

Last edited:

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Like I said, site has been changed. This looks like the same - but new version of that way/mean of contact:
Whatever answer if any, you get - posting it here would be great for future candidates.
I will man no worries its good to have a place like that where people share information from inside as well and what happened with the recruitment and everything.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello MatriXa,
get used to it my friend. FFL is closed forever for you. Why you did not apply for the Bulgarian army?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I received that today

MatriXa, quite honestly do you think that the general has time to answer all the correspondence that he receives? He will not even see your letter. Putting M le Gen, is a form of politeness. Otherwise he will be getting Pizza delivery flyers and people announcing that he was won the lottery. Can you skip back a couple of posts to where I've said that the legion has it's own post office. Once he gets a letter that is addressed to the COMLE, he puts it to one side. Then a 'junior' clerk, probably an adjudant will open it. If it involves recruitment (which is your case) he will send it to the people who are responsible for recruitment. If it involves a question about someone who owes money to them he will put it in the "Gestapo", or security military box. If it involves someone who is inquiring about a member of his family who joined up during WW2, he will put it in the BALE box. If it involves the general directly he will hand it over to his personal secretary.

Now, you really will have to take my word on this next piece of info. When you receive your reply, it will NOT be from the general himself. He will not even see the letter.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
MatriXa, quite honestly do you think that the general has time to answer all the correspondence that he receives? He will not even see your letter. Putting M le Gen, is a form of politeness. Otherwise he will be getting Pizza delivery flyers and people announcing that he was won the lottery. Can you skip back a couple of posts to where I've said that the legion has it's own post office. Once he gets a letter that is addressed to the COMLE, he puts it to one side. Then a 'junior' clerk, probably an adjudant will open it. If it involves recruitment (which is your case) he will send it to the people who are responsible for recruitment. If it involves a question about someone who owes money to them he will put it in the "Gestapo", or security military box. If it involves someone who is inquiring about a member of his family who joined up during WW2, he will put it in the BALE box. If it involves the general directly he will hand it over to his personal secretary.

Now, you really will have to take my word on this next piece of info. When you receive your reply, it will NOT be from the general himself. He will not even see the letter.
Good afternoon, what you said make sense of course but still if it's true makes me wounder who eventually have the power to bring you back again? I mean come on there is 1 or 2 % of the guys who got that chance after definitive I'd the general don't give a sh$t about it , don't have time not look for their cases how they have a new chance after all ?
Hello MatriXa,
get used to it my friend. FFL is closed forever for you. Why you did not apply for the Bulgarian army?

Hi. First maybe you right maybe you not.. second I prefer to be in Naval service in Ireland 👍

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Good afternoon, what you said make sense of course but still if it's true makes me wounder who eventually have the power to bring you back again? I mean come on there is 1 or 2 % of the guys who got that chance after definitive I'd the general don't give a sh$t about it , don't have time not look for their cases how they have a new chance after all ?
Good morning, first of all I don't make it a habit of lying, I always try to back up everything with proof.
Secondly. the legion is no different than any other military structures in the world. The COMLE has 10 regiments 9 of which have commanding officers. Each regiment has a company company commander per company. If someone wants to put in for leave, it is the his chef de section who decides. It will stay at company level, The general will not have anything to do with it.
It is the same for recruiting, the COMLE is NOT standing with a stop watch while the candidates are doing their Luc Leger. He does not care who passes and who doesn't, he leaves that for the recruitment to decide.
If someone is given inapt definitive, he is not informed. Because he has someone there who decides. Now if you cannot understand this then maybe the military is not for you.
Thirdly, the fact that you are insisting on such a clear and obvious reason why the COMLE does not deal with the day to day running of every 'cog' in the legion makes me wonder if you are not trolling.
You've written your letter, if you get a reply, all well and good, If the reply is favorable all the better. If it is the contrary than it is time to move on.

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
I received that today

Hey MatriXa, do you have any update about the letter you sent?

I'm about to send a letter of my own after reading your post searching for a lot of info about inapte definitif, hoping for another chance. Been a few years myself since I last went to Aubagne just to get a chance in the Legion

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey MatriXa, do you have any update about the letter you sent?

I'm about to send a letter of my own after reading your post searching for a lot of info about inapte definitif, hoping for another chance. Been a few years myself since I last went to Aubagne just to get a chance in the Legion
I'm not sure what went wrong there. Your post comes before MatriXa's. Perhaps is the future you should just quote him. I went to great pains to explain (a couple of times) to him that the general only receives mail which concerns him directly.

ragnarok

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
I'm not sure what went wrong there. Your post comes before MatriXa's. Perhaps is the future you should just quote him. I went to great pains to explain (a couple of times) to him that the general only receives mail which concerns him directly.

I saw my post being up there was weird too.
Definitely understand about your previous explanations but all I wonder is, if he got any reply after a few months, and would it be by mail or through email?

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I saw my post being up there was weird too.
Definitely understand about your previous explanations but all I wonder is, if he got any reply after a few months, and would it be by mail or through email?
Hello ragnarok,
It happens because of the points on voting option on the left, next to the profile photo, I think.
(so I gave you a "downvote" and now it's under MatriXa's post. If you want I can change / withdraw it?)
On threads that are opened as question, the best voted answer will "go up" and reversed with negative votes.
(if that's what confuses you ?)
If I may; two negative votes on this post of mine and we'll get a decent timeline ( his, then your's, and finally this one);)
Re his letter I think if he had any new info I believe he would post it, so.....

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
if he got any reply after a few months, and would it be by mail or through email?
I think that it would be by mail. I mean it is a form of politeness to send your enquiry by normal mail, so therefore they would send the reply by similar means. Besides, it would look a lot better if you turned up with the reply on an official piece of paper; heading and stamp, then with a flimsy of an email.