a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Derailed threads. Le Bayou: Crawdad's home for them

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Lol. Okay Class, bienvenue à "Coonassery 101: Makin' Groceries, Savin' Dishes, an' tings comme ça":
Comme ça, also, how's your mama and them?

You didn't answer my question. So what is Creole? More French, more English or combination of two?
More French than Creole with some Indian mixed in. But more French.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
To what extent are those groups recognized in the US? Any classes in those languages that your kids can attend, or any schools that teach in those languages? Your churches if I understood correctly, have masses in those languages.
In Europe it's normal for minorities or certain stateless groups to have separate after school classes or even within regular curriculum (it's part of their right to preserve the heritage).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Not that one try this one:

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
To what extent are those groups recognized in the US? Any classes in those languages that your kids can attend, or any schools that teach in those languages? Your churches if I understood correctly, have masses in those languages.
In Europe it's normal for minorities or certain stateless groups to have separate after school classes or even within regular curriculum (it's part of their right to preserve the heritage).
We are not recognized as the American Indians are or any other minority group. In some Louisiana Parishes, Lafayette and Assumption they have Cajun Language Classes to try and save the language. It likely will not work because it is like taking high school Spanish, if you're not in a household that speaks it regularly you won't retain it. No, Masses back then prior to the Vatican II council were in Latin, after masses were in English. There are masses now in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean offered in communities heavily populated with those groups. I don't know if say in Chacahoula where my other grand parents grew up in the depression era if masses were given in Latin and common parts in French.

Oh, eux autres vont tous bien. Dad's back in from Fourchon (comme ton père, il travaille pas dans les clos [champs] d'huile, mais sur les bateaux). How 'bout y'all?
Wow, you're good Crawdad. I can pick out something about the bateaux (boat) and dad was at port Fouchon/Grand Isle.
No translator, is it my dad (père), traveled by boat. What's the champs part?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Swamp Pop is huge in our Cajun Heritage. Now, can a Frenchman, Rapace, understand the music and the language. A good experiment to check for understanding. (...)
Yes sure. Apart from the “funny” accent (just yanking your chain mes amis Cajuns) the lyrics are pretty easily understandable for a standard French speaker like moi.
“La grâce du ciel, est descendue me sauver de l'Enfer, j'étais perdu.e, je me suis retrouvé.e”, etc. (The grace from the sky has come down to save me from Hell. I was lost and I found myself, etc.)
The e's, after the dots should be added if it's a lady that is speaking (always the masculine/feminine differences in the French and other Romance languages). The rule set forth by the Académie Française is that if you don't know who's speaking, you should use the masculine form by default and use the feminine form only if you know for sure that a lady is speaking (in that case the spelling would be j'étais perdue, je me suis retrouvée). Some feminists are getting crazy over it and want to impose the new spelling above (with the .e)... They call it écriture inclusive... :rolleyes:
(...) Louisiana Creole (Kreyòl Lwyzien)--sometimes called Kouri-Vini-- is a separate language, not a dialect of French. It's similar to Haitian Creole in that its vocabulary is based on French, but its grammatical structure, spelling, and pronunciation have been heavily influenced by West African languages. To the point that it's no longer mutually intelligible with standard French.
Créole (French spelling with the accent on the e) is also the vernacular language in the French West Indies islands like Martinique, Guadeloupe, the French part of Saint-Martin (shared with the Dutch), etc. I can't understand it. You may recognise some French words once in a while or at least words that sound like French, but that's it.

Keep the language and your heritage alive guys. In the documentary posted by Crawdad a while back, I like the guy Thibodeaux saying the Cajun/French language will not disapear because of him, even if he's the only one left speaking it, he'll talk to his God damn self. To try and keep it alive, he does the right thing, using it with his infant daughters.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Always retain your heritage otherwise it becomes a loss for those that follow in your footsteps. Heritage equals pride and unity. Without unity you are lost as is any historical record.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
We are not recognized as the American Indians are or any other minority group. In some Louisiana Parishes, Lafayette and Assumption they have Cajun Language Classes to try and save the language. It likely will not work because it is like taking high school Spanish, if you're not in a household that speaks it regularly you won't retain it. No, Masses back then prior to the Vatican II council were in Latin, after masses were in English. There are masses now in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean offered in communities heavily populated with those groups. I don't know if say in Chacahoula where my other grand parents grew up in the depression era if masses were given in Latin and common parts in French.
I believe that you should keep your heritage and language. And you should get same status as other minority groups. I mean who decides which minority is important and other should be assimilated?
I'm against of minorities getting education in their language because that would create mess and cost a lot of money (unless you live in Switzerland or similar country )
If someone wants to keep their language alive that's up to parents, community and minority its self. Also I think that in country like USA everyone who is borne and raised (or living for 5 y there) should should speak English.

Yes they have right to do that , but I don't think that is normal or good. Perun can you be more precise on what exactly you mean here?

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Not that one try this one:
That's 2 same comments Joe. :) and I believe to be mine. I just wanted to say if Germany won war UK would be paying to them. I mean how who decides who owns something to someone after war? Of course stronger always get paid. ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That's 2 same comments Joe. :) and I believe to be mine. I just wanted to say if Germany won war UK would be paying to them. I mean how who decides who owns something to someone after war? Of course stronger always get paid. ;)
Yes you're correct Dusa, they are your comments, or rather they certainly are not mine. Where did you dig this up from?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yes you're correct Dusa, they are your comments, or rather they certainly are not mine. Where did you dig this up from?
Me? :) I was quoting your quote and asked my self same question about you. :)
You dug up that comment of mine (I guess by mistake) and same day I was asking why?

Not like that I care or something... I'm just confused.

Attachments

• Joe.PNG
    Joe.PNG
    59.5 KB · Views: 5

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I believe that you should keep your heritage and language. And you should get same status as other minority groups. I mean who decides which minority is important and other should be assimilated?
I'm against of minorities getting education in their language because that would create mess and cost a lot of money (unless you live in Switzerland or similar country )
If someone wants to keep their language alive that's up to parents, community and minority its self. Also I think that in country like USA everyone who is borne and raised (or living for 5 y there) should should speak English.

Yes they have right to do that , but I don't think that is normal or good. Perun can you be more precise on what exactly you mean here?

I agree

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
(...) Yes they have right to do that , but I don't think that is normal or good. Perun can you be more precise on what exactly you mean here?
Nothing really, I wasn't expressing an opinion - I was asking about Cajuns and Creoles.
What precisely is bugging you? If it's the word "normal", it wasn't my view, but a reality, EU has its legal norms and whatever they are - they are the same for everyone in the Union. The word "certain": basically every group can have that status, but certain can finance some things and certain can't (of course education is in dominant language, but if possible parallel).
My general opinion on minorities: if they are loyal to the same flag and constitution I am - they can do whatever the f..k they want.(y) (everybody has a right to an identity)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) My general opinion on minorities: if they are loyal to the same flag and constitution I am - they can do whatever the f..k they want.(y) (everybody has a right to an identity)
No they can't do whatever they want! Minority or majority. There is law for all.
What bothers me is : "In Europe it's normal for minorities or certain stateless groups to have separate after school classes or even within regular curriculum (it's part of their right to preserve the heritage)."
Do you think minorities deserve classes in they own language? It's debatable question, but maybe I think yes, If its only one class in their mother tongue and that's only if there is enough students to form that one class.
Giving education to every minority in native tongue no matter what are circumstances ... its opening of Pandora's box. Especially in EU today.

I mean I don't know how multicultural is the area you're living in or have grown up, but believe me, my parts (Vršac and surroundings) has been highly multicultural for at least hundreds of years. People always live good and in harmony whenever there was no big involvement of politics. And I think they're starting to get involved now. And things you talking about is one form of it. So now, in some places we have names of towns or names of government buildings written in up to 10 languages! Biggest Irony is that in 8 of those 10 languages that's basically the same word :) !!! I'm just convinced that things like are not good for anyone.

Perun are there any names of towns written in Cyrillic alphabet in Croatia? Would you like that the Serbian minority in Croatia asks for classes in their mother tongue? I would not like or support any of that no way. So I guess I make you clearer about what did I meant. Or maybe I misunderstood you, but I asked for explanation and didn't get one.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bottom line, guys, we didn't cross their borders. Their borders crossed us. We were here before them. They tried to eradicate our language, and very nearly did so. So I have absolutely no qualms with taking their money to finance programs to teach our language to our young. After all, it's not as if we don't contribute. We pay our taxes, we've fought in every war they've ever fought, and when a hurricane hits the Gulf Coast we save more lives than their punk ass government does (Cajun Navy, google it). Way I see it, they need us at least as much we need them. If we're going to be their guard dogs, they can afford to throw us a damned bone once in a while.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No they can't do whatever they want! Minority or majority. There is law for all.
What bothers me is : "In Europe it's normal for minorities or certain stateless groups to have separate after school classes or even within regular curriculum (it's part of their right to preserve the heritage)."
Do you think minorities deserve classes in they own language? It's debatable question, but maybe I think yes, If its only one class in their mother tongue and that's only if there is enough students to form that one class.
Giving education to every minority in native tongue no matter what are circumstances ... its opening of Pandora's box. Especially in EU today.

I mean I don't know how multicultural is area you living in or grown up, But believe me, my parts (Vršac and surroundings) is highly multicultural for at least hundreds of years. People always live good and in harmony whenever there was no big involvement of politic. And I think they starting to involve now. And things you talking about is one form of it.
So now, in some places we have names of towns or names of government buildings written in up to 10 languages!
Biggest Irony is that in 8 of those 10 language is basically same word!!! :)
I'm just convinced that things like are not good for anyone.

Perun Is there some names of towns in Cyrillic letter in Croatia? Would you like that Serbian minority in Croatia ask for classes in their mother thong? I would not like or support any of that no way. So I guess i make you clearer what did I meant.
Or maybe I misunderstood you, but I asked for explanation and didn't get one.
Difference is Perun has watched Southern Comfort. Perhaps the quintessential film that serves as an introduction to our culture. Hence, he has a better handle on the situation. S'il te plaît, watch this and then speak:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
..if they are loyal to the same flag and constitution I am - they can do whatever the f..k they want.
Thank you for informing me on your opinion, it is noted. About the questions you ask - read the bolded part.
I mean I don't know how multicultural is area you living in or grown up, But believe me, my parts (Vršac and surroundings) is highly multicultural for at least hundreds of years. People always live good and in harmony whenever there was no big involvement of politic. And I think they starting to involve now. And things you talking about is one form of it.
So now, in some places we have names of towns or names of government buildings written in up to 10 languages!
Biggest Irony is that in 8 of those 10 language is basically same word!!! :)
I'm just convinced that things like are not good for anyone.
Well it's your "yard", stick to it.
Perun Is there some names of towns in Cyrillic letter in Croatia? Would you like that Serbian minority in Croatia ask for classes in their mother thong? I would not like or support any of that no way. So I guess i make you clearer what did I meant.
Or maybe I misunderstood you, but I asked for explanation and didn't get one.
From your initial hooking on part of my post which was given in context of Cajuns and Creoles, not in matters of minorities in Europe, I knew you were dragging it into politics (which I tried to avoid - cause that is a real Pandora's box).
I will not participate in it. I'm not a mushroom so I try not to live in the dark and feed myself with shit.

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Difference is, Perun has watched Southern Comfort; perhaps the quintessential film that serves as an introduction to our culture. Hence, he has a better handle on the situation . Sil te plais, Watch this, and then speak:

Not the first time "you were on my menu":
1589017498094.png
A little souvenir my cousin brought me from his trip to the south of US. He made a little tour, but New Orleans is the only place I remember he talked about. He is a musician so it was a "must see" place for him. He showed me videos of a funeral and those are amazing. Completely different vibe than here; the band and a bar on wheels. Really exotic, I enjoyed it very much.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not the first time "you were on my menu":
View attachment 6188
A little souvenir my cousin brought me from his trip to the south of US. He made a little tour, but NOrleans is the only place I remember he talked about. He is a musician so it was a "must see" place for him. He showed me videos of a funeral and those are amazing. Completely different vibe than here; the band and a bar on wheels. Really exotic, I enjoyed it very much.

Did you like the Tony's? You are also referring to a Jazz Funeral, those are in New Orleans, not a common thing Perun.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Did you like the Tony's? You are also referring to a Jazz Funeral, those are in New Orleans, not a common thing Perun.
Yes, it's very good for bbq/grilled meat, it says "good with everything" but I used it only for seasoning pork for grill .
I understand that Louisiana is a very diverse state / place, with diverse customs, and that New Orleans also has it's peculiarities / uniqueness.

Last edited: