a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
On this day : Friday 24 June,1374.

A sudden outbreak of choreomania also known as St. Vitus's Dance caused people in the streets of Aachen, Germany to experience hallucinations and to begin to jump up and down uncontrollably until they collapsed from exhaustion.

On the piss, some ancient LSD or magic mushrooms ?:D:D:D

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
On this day, 70 years ago (25 Jun 1950), the Korea war started, when North Korean troops crossed the border and advanced into South Korea. The war would last 3 years, until the armistice signed at Panmunjom. As an indirect effect, this would change the US vision on the Indochina war. From a “dirty little colonial war”, it would become a component of the fight between the Free World and Communism. That's when the US supplies started flowing in Indochina.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
On this day, 70 years ago (25 Jun 1950), the Korea war started, when North Korean troops crossed the border and advanced into South Korea. The war would last 3 years, until the armistice signed at Panmunjom. As an indirect effect, this would change the US vision on the Indochina war. From a “dirty little colonial war”, it would become a component of the fight between the Free World and Communism. That's when the US supplies started flowing in Indochina.
Wow. Is this over simplified? Only simpler way I can think of is “They bad, we good, STFU”.
BTW Rapace don't take it personally, but I'm the only one with red star here, so I have to defend some ideas. I'm definitely not a supporter of North Korea or any authoritarian government, but some Marxists ideas are deeply in my blood. I'm also staining behind fact that they are implemented wrongly almost everywhere (OK everywhere :)) they tried. Still I believe that at least some of those ideas essentially are not that bad.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Not true Dusa,
check out the flag that flutters proudly under The little Cpl's name
I don't know who that is. :)
I mean yeah, I thought about it when I wrote that. Have in mind that he is just trolling with that flag he is in no way supporter of N Korea or anything communist related.
I mean neither do I support that, but I can't stand blunt belief of evil communists and good freedom fighters who bring liberty with bombs and guns..

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Wow. Is this over simplified? Only simpler way I can think of is “They bad, we good, STFU”. (...)
When I say a fight between the Free World and Communism, this is how it was described in those days in the West. It's an historical reference and I'm not making any kind of judgement. Maybe I should have put the expression between quotes.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1389 Ottomans defeat Serbian army in the bloody Battle of Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1593325002426.png 1593325076619.png

No prizes for guessing which one is the Archduke and which one is the Serb ;):whistle:

1914 Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip at 10.45, the casus belli* of WWI.

Gavrilo Princip was a Bosnian-Serb and a member of the group Young Bosnia, who were dedicated to ending the rule of Austria-Hungary in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which had been in place since 1878.

Princip and his co-conspirators, including one member from the group Black Hand, planned and executed the assassination of the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, on June 28, 1914. Ferdinand and his wife were visiting Sarajevo at the time. Princip shot both at point-blank range with his pistol, and they died shortly after.

The assassination - the first attempt at which failed, and was only made possible because the Archduke's motorcade took a wrong turn on their return trip through the city - sparked World War I, after Austria-Hungary sent an ultimatum to Serbia, invoking a series of complicated alliances in the powder keg of Europe.

Princip was sentenced to twenty years in prison, the maximum for his age, and died on April 28, 1918 from tuberculosis. World War I killed an estimated 40 million people around the world.

* Casus belli = an act or situation provoking or justifying war.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
View attachment 6291 View attachment 6292No prizes for guessing which one is the Archduke and which one is the Serb ;):whistle:

1914 Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip at 10.45, the casus belli* of WWI. (...)
Joe, there’s an interesting doco (made by Anglos) that casting different light on whole event. At the time in Austria-Hungary there was a strong opposing current of military leaders and politicians to Franz Ferdinand. They didn't wanted him on throne. Also one of big disagreement between Franz and that opposing current is whether or not to go to war (not with Serbs, big war that will come). Franz was against the war.
I'm not saying that they organized assassination, but I believe thay didn't do anything to stop it or even probably helped for it to be successful. Also car slows down enough so Gavrilo can kill both Franz and Sophia (which he said he'd didn't want)
I hope I would find link for that doco.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Joe, there’s an interesting doco (made by Anglos) that casting different light on whole event. At the time in Austria-Hungary there was a strong opposing current of military leaders and politicians to Franz Ferdinand. They didn't wanted him on throne. Also one of big disagreement between Franz and that opposing current is whether or not to go to war (not with Serbs, big war that will come). Franz was against the war.
I'm not saying that they organized assassination, but I believe thay didn't do anything to stop it or even probably helped for it to be successful. Also car slows down enough so Gavrilo can kill both Franz and Sophia (which he said he'd didn't want)
I hope I would find link for that doco.
Along that line - supposedly, he was well liked everywhere in K&K except Austria and Hungary because he was all for reforms, which would modernize the old "dungeon of nations" into a modern state with more equality and rights for others than the two mentioned. I read somewhere that his security disregarded the warnings of Sarajevo's chief of police that it's not safe enough.....
Famous french author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was born on this day.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Le petit prince ! And on the old 50 francs note. He was also a famous pilot.
View attachment 6293

He was a parvenu...inapt partout, i kid you not
No surprise the chap got shot down..
Do not be deillusined by his so called war stories ( plenty others sacrificed more than his egoistic crappy arse)
It was during a recon when he got shot down
We found his gourmet a few years back, by a fisherman fae Marseille
Yup, defo, a hero national, in my esteem....!?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Along that line - supposedly, he was well liked everywhere in K&K except Austria and Hungary because he was all for reforms, which would modernize the old "dungeon of nations" into a modern state with more equality and rights for others than the two mentioned. I read somewhere that his security disregarded the warnings of Sarajevo's chief of police that it's not safe enough.....
I heard many stories that deviate from official version. Stories that makes so much sense once you hear it. I would really dig deeper it that subject because that is my history. For one I'm sure, not many folk (if any) here (In Vojvodina) were complaining against authority of Austro-hungaria. And that's coming from people who remember that time under "occupation". Must vocal against that were Serbs from Serbia (below Danube) and from Bosnia. (Maybe some of others Yugoslavia nation to) And there is something weird going on with those kind of things... at last from those days ....or even before WW1 until to this days today. It's basically means not all Serbs or equal and when ever some Serbs came here in northern parts (Vojvodina) they get, aid, much bigger rights, power etc. etc. And that was same after WW1, after WW2, after wars in Ex-Yu ... Only we living, here for at least 300 years, we don't get anything. We only give. So we have today that some refugees from Croatia still getting help as they are fresh refugees! Have in mind that they came here before 25 years (some even earlier). Many of them are born here and still getting some refugee supplement. :). Plus to that they took many position of power, helping each other etc. Anyone reasonable can understand how frustrating that can be to someone living here for generations and never got anything from his country.:(

I won't gating into that because none care much about it except maybe Perun (we can have private chat).
Anyway it's really interesting subject and part of my history I'm only now getting deeper into.

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I heard many stories that deviate from official version. Stories that makes so much sense once you hear it. I would really dig deeper it that subject because that is my history. For one I'm sure, not many folk (if any) here (In Vojvodina) were complaining against authority of Austro-hungaria. And that's coming from people who remember that time under "occupation". Must vocal against that were Serbs from Serbia (below Danube) and from Bosnia. (Maybe some of others Yugoslavia nation to) And there is something weird going on with those kind of things... at last from those days ....or even before WW1 until to this days today. It's basically means not all Serbs or equal and when ever some Serbs came here in northern parts (Vojvodina) they get, aid, much bigger rights, power etc. etc. And that was same after WW1, after WW2, after wars in Ex-Yu ... Only we living, here for at least 300 years, we don't get anything. We only give. So we have today that some refugees from Croatia still getting help as they are fresh refugees! Have in mind that they came here before 25 years (some even earlier). Many of them are born here and still getting some refugee supplement. :). Plus to that they took many position of power, helping each other etc. Anyone reasonable can understand how frustrating that can be to someone living here for generations and never got anything from his country.:(

I won't gating into that because none care much about it except maybe Perun (we can have private chat).
Anyway it's really interesting subject and part of my history I'm only now getting deeper into.
Would I shock you if I told you I had some distant relatives there and that one of them is actually a politician? LOL
Vojvodina was always a multicultural, agricultural place. People there have reputation of hardworking and peaceful.
It was sort of "Panonian golden goose", right? Milošević's budget "theft" comes to mind...
If you would write something about it's history I would read it with interest. We had a tour of Louisiana on "La Bayou" thread, why not a tour of Vojvodina?
(moving it to there so we don't derail this thread?)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1942July 01
The Battle of El Alamein begins
On July 1, 1942,

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel is brought to a standstill in the battle for control of North Africa. The First Battle of El Alamein begins.
In June, the British had succeeded in driving Rommel into a defensive position in Libya. But Rommel repelled repeated air and tank attacks, delivering heavy losses to the armored strength of the British, and finally, using his panzer divisions, managed to force a British retreat—a retreat so rapid that a huge quantity of supplies was left behind. In fact, Rommel managed to push the British into Egypt using mostly captured vehicles.

Rommel’s Afrika Korps was now in Egypt, in El Alamein, only 60 miles west of the British naval base in Alexandria. The Axis powers smelled blood. The Italian troops that had preceded Rommel’s German forces in North Africa, only to be beaten back by the British, then saved from complete defeat by the arrival of Rommel, were now back on the winning side, their dwindled numbers having fought alongside the Afrika Korps. Naturally, Benito Mussolini saw this as his opportunity to partake of the victors’ spoils. And Hitler anticipated adding Egypt to his empire.
But the Allies were not finished. Reinforced by American supplies, and reorganized and reinvigorated by British General Bernard Montgomery, British, Indian, South African and New Zealand troops battled Rommel, and his by now exhausted men, to a standstill in Egypt. Montgomery denied the Axis Egypt. Rommel was back on the defensive—a definite turning point in the war in North Africa.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In 02 (two ) days time a date which will go down in infamy in the annals of the cervens forum.
Stay tuned to this channel :unsure: