a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING Going to the French Foreign Legion 2021

Zun

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Hello everyone, you can call me Zun
Maybe you don't remember me. I posted on this forum in February this year (Need to make a decision).

I talked about joining the Swedish military or the French Foreign Legion.
I decided with the help of your opinions that I will be joining the Swedish military this year 2020 September.
I will be there for 9 months and then after that i'm going to the French Foreign Legion.

What are some tips from all you experienced soliders that I must prepare for the French Foreign Legion?
Is there something I should do in the Swedish military to prepare for the French Foreign Legion?

I'm not very good at French, so that's obvious I need to practice.

I'm very fit... so that's not a problem.
I can run 10km in 40min
I ruckmarch in the mountains with a 60kg bag for 3 hours twice a week and I don't find it difficult.
I can bench 140kg, squat 180kg, deadlift 220kg.
Push ups 2min = 104
Pull ups = 32
(Not trying to brag, just telling you so you could tell me if there's something I should improve)

All critics are welcome!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If I was to give you any advice, I would suggest that you learned as much as you could military wise, volunteer for any and every course that comes your way, but do not be fooled into believing that 9 months in the Swedish army can be compared to 5 years in the legion,

Thanks for allowing us to call you Zun,

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(Not trying to brag, just telling you so you could tell me if there's something I should improve)

All critics are welcome!
Yes you do brag and you can improve modesty. ;)

Reactions: Zun
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Zun,

You can be as fit as the Butcher's Dog but it is inner strength and determination that matters most. Also be the Grey Man.

Our Moderator Joe is correct, try to get as many courses under your belt with the Swedish military and of course learn French.

Good luck.

Zun

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
If I was to give you any advice, I would suggest that you learned as much as you could military wise, volunteer for any and every course that comes your way, but do not be fooled into believing that 9 months in the Swedish army can be compared to 5 years in the legion,

Thanks for allowing us to call you Zun,
Thank you for your reply.
I will do my best and much more.

Zun

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Zun,

You can be as fit as the Butcher's Dog but it is inner strength and determination that matters most. Also be the Grey Man.

Our Moderator Joe is correct, try to get as many courses under your belt with the Swedish military and of course learn French.

Good luck.
Have you got any way to prepare yourself mentally?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No thanks for my replay? :)

Ohh you gave me a like OK. my mistake

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Have you got any way to prepare yourself mentally?

It is a state of mind. Determination to succeed at all cost and never to give in.

I was born before WW2, I was a small wiry volunteer for the R.M. Commandos. I obtained the Coveted Green Beret having been trained by former WW2 commandos. Many fell by the wayside. I also passed Parachute Regiment selection at Mons O.C.S.

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It is a state of mind. Determination to succeed at all cost and never to give in.

I was born before WW2, I was a small wiry volunteer for the R.M. Commandos. I obtained the Coveted Green Beret having been trained by former WW2 commandos. Many fell by the wayside. I also passed Parachute Regiment selection at Mons O.C.S.

Hot danm Sir! I think I remember you mentioning you were a mustang. Nothing but respect for you sir.

I can only imagine what an honor it would to have been trained by the greatest generation's greatest warriors.

My gramps was a ww2 d-day & korean war vet. I didn't get to know him very well since he passed away when I was young. I was told he turned down a battlefield promotion because it'd affect his paycheque :LOL:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hot danm Sir! I think I remember you mentioning you were a mustang. Nothing but respect for you sir.

I can only imagine what an honor it would to have been trained by the greatest generation's greatest warriors.

My gramps was a ww2 d-day & korean war vet. I didn't get to know him very well since he passed away when I was young. I was told he turned down a battlefield promotion because it'd affect his paycheque :LOL:

Thank you for your most gracious post. I am nothing special just part of my generation. Some of my instructors had also served in Korea.
Thank you again.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
I just got back from France to day, to Greece, I was in the blue stage for 4 days b4 I dislocated my ankle, , what pains me the most is thatwe were running to go eat , so fuuny, I was ask to come back immediately I get OK with a doctor report, and I was given 190euros, bcos from the day you entered the blue stage ,you start getting paid, for guys about to go, study psychometric reasoning test, the first test was just child's play, but the one on the computer was no joke, I passed mine but it was difficult, a lot of guys went home from that, the process is very fast from aubagne, under 3 weeks you are set for the farm. I have spent a lot of money on hotel , so I came back to get my ankle back and why i get well I will start a French language class too, and if you pass the psychometric test ,then try do from 7 in luck Leger and at least 10 pull ups.,

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Do so and thanks very much for the update, it will be helpful...so, I presume, dudes who enlist in Fort de Nogent, Paris or any other recruitment office other than Aubagne, will not be paid till they reach Aubagne and pass bleu?

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Do so and thanks very much for the update, it will be helpful...so, I presume, dudes who enlist in Fort de Nogent, Paris or any other recruitment office other than Aubagne, will not be paid till they reach Aubagne and pass bleu?
Yes they will not be paid, in fact guy that came from Paris same day that I arrived, which was Friday, they had to do all the test all over, and 2 guys failed psychometric test and was sent home, but they passed same test in Paris b4 been sent to aubagne, I don't understand the system, , guys from Paris are few, but alit of guys in aubagne, for me I will go back in the winter , when it will be few candidate, and the legion have a lot of things doing during summer, they are SO busy, now I need to get my ankle back, get my French language, then back to France in summer, and one more information, from two days back ,no more appointment, you can go anytime now without appointment, its back again to how it used to be

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Sorry guys I am going back in winter, maybe January or February 2021, summer is not a good time to go if you don't want too much candidate and too much competition

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Summer in France is heat wave season and makes training much more difficult
Post Schitum: Learn french young man, learn french!
Seems to me, by what you said, Aubagne recrutement took a shine to you... don't waste the pour quoi !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Summer in France is heat wave season and makes training much more difficult
Post Schitum: Learn french young man, learn french!
Seems to me, by what you said, Aubagne recrutement took a shine to you... don't waste the why!
You are Right, all day we just sat down doing nothing, one test in a day, it was boring, but I still prefer it to civilian life anyway, all day doing nothing, you run in everything you do, having facemask for all day, and you must not be seen taking it off, OMG I didn't expect it, my happiness is that I didn't fail any test, and now I know better so I will be fully ready by winter, and the most important thing for me is that I still remember almost all the psychometric questions, even in my dreams, so when I go again, I will not want to fail one question on the psychometric test

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
So, you will need to do your psycho tests all over again... keep the forum informed, please?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You are Right, all day we just sat down doing nothing, one test in a day, it was boring, but I still prefer it to civilian life anyway, all day doing nothing, you run in everything you do, having facemask for all day, and you must not be seen taking it off, OMG I didn't expect it, my happiness is that I didn't fail any test, and now I know better so I will be fully ready by winter, and the most important thing for me is that I still remember almost all the psychometric questions, even in my dreams, so when I go again, I will not want to fail one question on the psychometric test
Thanks for updating the forum! It sucks that you sprained your ankle but good that you will be back with a little more knowledge and hopefully it will go well! Were you able to notice if they were passing more EV's to make up for the slow covid-19 delay or did you notice anything otherwise?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for respond man. Really pity for falling out that way.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I must echo Le petit Cpl's and Dusa's thanks for keeping us updated.
Can you give us a couple of examples on I.Q. test's. I know that I'm asking a lot, but could you check the internet to see if there are any websites that help people train up for it?
Did the legion provide the masks and how often? Do you think that it would be worthwhile for recruits to take along their own maks, made of cloth which they could wash?