a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food Deprivation

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Depends on your survival course and how good you are at living off the land. SF one is being dumped on an island and left to fend for yourself for 2 weeks. The same but for 5 days for commando aspirants.
As for the Legion I leave it for our mighty Greens to answer,

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks but I meant how long have you gone without eating in the Legion?
Yeah and he said he'll let the mighty greens answer that question because he wasn't in the Legion he was Royal Marine Commando where he had food deprivation in commando training....I think your question is too broad because the Legion overall doesn't do food deprivation. But there is probably some training where they have to endure lack of food like maybe in jungle training or some other training where they have to find and prepare food as part of training but my assumption is that they give atleast one MRE a day in all training...but I'm not sure for certain so I think someone that was in the Legion could answer better.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yeah and he said he'll let the mighty greens answer that question because he wasn't in the Legion he was Royal Marine Commando where he had food deprivation in commando training....I think your question is too broad because the Legion overall doesn't do food deprivation. But there is probably some training where they have to endure lack of food like maybe in jungle training or some other training where they have to find and prepare food as part of training but my assumption is that they give atleast one MRE a day in all training...but I'm not sure for certain so I think someone that was in the Legion could answer better.
We did not have a training session where you had to live of the land.
However, in those days the food was of very poor quality and quantity.
Often we would supplement our alimentation with various "borrowed animals".
It would have been too dangerous for leaving recruits go in isolation and to fend for themselves, because there was no area completely void of rebels.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
We did not have a training session where you had to live of the land.
However, in those days the food was of very poor quality and quantity.
Often we would supplement our alimentation with various "borrowed animals".
It would have been too dangerous for leaving recruits go in isolation and to fend for themselves, because there was no area completely void of rebels.
How did you prepared those animals? I guess it was mainly sheep and goats. No pigs running around down in Algeria?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We foraged in the field. The food and ratpacks we received were not too bad. Best food (Scran) in my day was RAF, then RN/RM and finally the Army. Since we had all suffered rationing for some 15 years we really were not too bothered. Just happy to have some food in our bellies.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
While on operation over open fire, those animals procured en masse, by the Company's cooks.
On my website are a few pictures of corralled sheep and cows.
Hi Volt, it has been literally years since I visited you web site, would you mind posting a link to it?

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
While on operation over open fire, those animals procured en masse, by the Company's cooks.
Aye. After a long march in the middle of nowhere. Jungle/ desert. It doesn’t matter. On ops it’s de merde toi! If you can grab a goat couple of chickens it makes all the difference in moral.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I grabed a dozen goats in central africa.. by order of Captain Tristan Verna, our ex C.D.U., capitaine, ex RE P, who jumped at Kolwesi
It was me who slaughtered some of the goats... Légion knife (camulus, sp?)
It was in reprisal for the locals stealing our cibles / targets

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I grabed a dozen goats in central africa.. by order of Captain Tristan Verna, our ex C.D.U., capitaine, ex RE P, who jumped at Kolwesi
It was me who slaughtered some of the goats... Légion knife (camulus, sp?)
It was in reprisal for the locals stealing our cibles / targets
Tether goat to tree. Get colleague to pull hind leg or legs taught. Then use knife or in my case a Kukri to cut its throat. I had to do this at Gurkha festivals when I worked in Assam. No probs. When I think about it I think of my good friend Dusa. However I am still not sure why ? Any ideas ?:unsure:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Tether goat to tree. Get colleague to pull hind leg or legs taught. Then use knife or in my case a Kukri to cut its throat. I had to do this at Gurkha festivals when I worked in Assam. No probs. When I think about it I think of my good friend Dusa. However I am still not sure why ? Any ideas ?:unsure:
That's interesting because I also had pictures in my head of young Chas tethering goat. Pictures then slightly deviate from your story, but yeah ... never mind. :)

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Volt,
What about water, any problems in supply? If I'm not mistaking Algeria has 0% of water surfaces. Did engineers had to dig wells ? Just wondering...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Most of the time we had the >remorques-citernes d'eau< close enough to refill our water bottles (bidons), other times we had to fill them from mountain streams or at one of the many water wells the French had created.
If you were a tourist, you could find many of those wells on the Michelin road maps showing the locations of those wells.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Most of the time we had the >remorques-citernes d'eau< close enough to refill our water bottles (bidons), other times we had to fill them from mountain streams or at one of the many water wells the French had created.
If you were a tourist, you could find many of those wells on the Michelin road maps showing the locations of those wells.
Bloody cavalry! 😉a rum & coke to you volt!🍹