a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So was it the British or French who made the first infantry squares? And who made the best use of them😉

So was it the British or French who made the first infantry squares? And who made the best use of them😉

neither the British or the French were the inventors, but I believe the infantry square was revived during the Napoleonic wars and used very effectively. As for who used them the best; it would have to depend on the battle :LOL:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It was a Church (i'm not sure which denomination, probably orthodox) before that it was originally a mosques. As a Museum, it had over 4 million paying visitors last year, a major cut in income for the city, so I'm going with :cry:.
Oh my orthodox, NON Allah god! Please Joe, you hurting my feelings with this.
No it was NOT originally mosque. It was never meant to be a mosque and it shouldn't be mosque ! Actually that church was built in back in 537! Just to say that Muhammad would be born some 34 y after that. Not to mention Islam and its rise and spreading (with sword) which came even later.
It was Catholic cathedral for some 50y (1204 to 1261) than again Orthodox and then in 1453 with fall of Constantinople was converted to mosque. In 1935 progresive and secular Turkish ruler Ataturk converted to museum. Now we have this crazy dictator with mustaches high on Islam who destroying Ataturk's heritage and pushing Turkey in dark ages.

Hagia Sophia is biggest Orthodox church and it was center of that branch of Christianity until Turkish conquest so this not small and not important event and still we don't see enough of it in media. If one non important mosque in some non-Islamic country is converted in church we would see media screaming all over, Muslim would protest all over the world and start rioting in that country. And what we do?

I mean, I'm not religious and I'm especially don't like organized, big religions because they are dirty corrupt etc. But what Muslims do all over the world is not acceptable.
If things keep going in this direction our grandchildren would had to convert to islam in order to feed their family. Their daughters would have to wear scarves in order not to be raped. (it's alraedy happens in some places). I think they would ask himself why our generation didn't do anything instead helped condition in which they find themselves.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Please Joe, you hurting my feelings with this.
No it was NOT originally mosque.
I'm sorry about hurting your feelings about what I read concerning the museum in question. I'm not really religious myself and have no interest in in Turkey - even though I went there with the Brit army for a month-, I was just repeating what I had read.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I'm sorry about hurting your feelings about what I read concerning the museum in question. I'm not really religious myself and have no interest in in Turkey - even though I went there with the Brit army for a month-, I was just repeating what I had read.
Its not about tho Turkey Joe.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Sorry, I didn't realize that it didn't show the full you tube site where you can like, subscribe, comment etc.
From what I've read, the little scrubber is with some singer and the guy cheated on her !

Reactions:dusaboss :cry:
That's alright Dusa, you can take comfort in the fact that that on this day:
The Spanish Armada defeated. Off the coast of Gravelines, France, Spain's so-called “Invincible Armada” is defeated by an English naval force under the command of Lord Charles Howard and Sir Francis Drake*.
Why is the 1588 battle with the Spanish Armada so famous? The Armada is famous because at that time England was a small nation with a little navy and they were facing the greatest power in the world (Spain). They defeated Spain, with help from Mother Nature. It marked the beginning of England's mastery of the seas.

*The Great man Sir Francis Drake, was reputed to be nonchalantly playing bowls at the time of the invasion, giving an air of f*cu it let them come and they'll see what they're in for. It's not actually true.
The same as he was the man with the plan. :unsure: He did attack a Spanish port which was stocking up on supplies. However he was famous for having become the second man to have circumnavigated the globe. So basically England needed a hero.

Why was Spain sending an Armada to attack England? Because Elizabeth Tudor was giving the Catholics a hard time. The same as her mother Queen Mary had done (from which you get the beverage ** bloody Mary) And she whacked off the head of of Mary queen of the Jocks, who was a left footer (Catholic). At the time Spain was the richest country in the world. And they had the Pope's blessing.

It was from that moment onwards that:

** to be be consumed in moderation

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Reactions:dusaboss :cry:
That's alright Dusa, you can take comfort in the fact that that on this day:
The Spanish Armada defeated. Off the coast of Gravelines, France, Spain's so-called “Invincible Armada” is defeated by an English naval force under the command of Lord Charles Howard and Sir Francis Drake*.
Why is the 1588 battle with the Spanish Armada so famous? The Armada is famous because at that time England was a small nation with a little navy and they were facing the greatest power in the world (Spain). They defeated Spain, with help from Mother Nature. It marked the beginning of England's mastery of the seas.

*The Great man Sir Francis Drake, was reputed to be nonchalantly playing bowls at the time of the invasion, giving an air of f*cu it let them come and they'll see what they're in for. It's not actually true.
The same as he was the man with the plan. :unsure: He did attack a Spanish port which was stocking up on supplies. However he was famous for having become the second man to have circumnavigated the globe. So basically England needed a hero.

Why was Spain sending an Armada to attack England? Because Elizabeth Tudor was giving the Catholics a hard time. The same as her mother Queen Mary had done (from which you get the beverage ** bloody Mary) And she whacked off the head of of Mary queen of the Jocks, who was a left footer (Catholic). At the time Spain was the richest country in the world. And they had the Pope's blessing.

It was from that moment onwards that:

** to be be consumed in moderation
It was ironically cry face Joe. I don't give a F for that couple. :)
And consolation you gave me doesn't really makes me happier. Would be world looked differently if Armada won? Would another world's dominant power be better or worse than Anglos ... who knows.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It was ironically cry face Joe. I don't give a F for that couple. :)
And consolation you gave me doesn't really makes me happier. Would be world looked differently if Armada won? Would another world's dominant power be better or worse than Anglos ... who knows.
Enough of the bloody politics! and anglos this anglos that! If you hate us so much join the bloody Russian army!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Enough of the bloody politics! and anglos this anglos that! If you hate us so much join the bloody Russian army!
Don't like Russians! :) Also there is no Russians here so I can't pick fight with them.
And, BTW I'm not trying to join any Anglo army. Also, I'm the one who is dragged in whole that Anglo thing politics here.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Don't like Russians! :) Also there is no Russians here so I can't pick fight with them.
And, BTW I'm not trying to join any Anglo army. Also, I'm the one who is dragged in whole that Anglo thing politics here.
Bollocks!! My little Serb! You love to mix politics along with your dislike of anglos it’s been so obvious in many of your posts! So don’t play the little downtrodden East bloc type to me! Everybody’s entitled to their opinion on this forum wich is a good thing. Then you led us on about how much you looked foreword to joining the legion etc. Now it’s nothing but politics and snide comments on les anglaise / Americans. Tell us what you mean to do with your life or are we on the wrong forum!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Bollocks!! My little Serb! You love to mix politics along with your dislike of anglos it’s been so obvious in many of your posts! So don’t play the little downtrodden East bloc type to me! Everybody’s entitled to their opinion on this forum wich is a good thing. Then you led us on about how much you looked foreword to joining the legion etc. Now it’s nothing but politics and snide comments on les anglaise / Americans.
I said that many times and I would said again. I hate Russian imperialism even more than American. Maybe I'm confronting Angoles more because ... do you see any Russians here? Other reason would be existence of Anglo mafia and it heavy influence on this forum. Guys not coming from English speaking countries (and especially not coming from Western countries) would not get same treatment on forum as those who do coming from certain countries.
So, sorry if i'm pissing you off Mark, but I have to be little bit political and stand up for all those guys not happy enough to be born in "right" place.

And my country was never part of Eastern bloc! That's is historical fact many older guys here constantly refusing to accept.

Tell us what you mean to do with your life or are we on the wrong forum!
I would like to know answer to that question my self.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Possibly a 'Happy go Lucky' dreamer with an interest in world affairs but with as yet no set aim.

Don't leave it to late or any aspiration that you or may not have will become a thing of the past.

Carpe Diem.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dusa,
I mean come on! You're telling me that someone who comes from the UK, US, OZ, or .ZA is favored over someone form, Spain, or Finland?
In what way?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
03 August 1492 (i always remember the date that Chris stumbled across America by a ship discovers us)
Columbus sets sail

From the Spanish port of Palos, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus sets sail in command of three ships—the Santa Maria, the Pinta and the Nina—on a journey to find a western sea route to China, India, and the fabled gold and spice islands of Asia.

On October 12, the expedition sighted land, probably Watling Island in the Bahamas, and went ashore the same day, claiming it for Spain. Later that month, Columbus sighted Cuba, which he thought was mainland China, and in December the expedition landed on Hispaniola, which Columbus thought might be Japan. He established a small colony there with 39 of his men. The explorer returned to Spain with gold, spices, and “Indian” captives in March 1493 and was received with the highest honors by the Spanish court. He was the first European to explore the Americas since the Vikings set up colonies in Greenland and Newfoundland in the 10th century.

During his lifetime, Columbus led a total of four expeditions to the New World, discovering various Caribbean islands, the Gulf of Mexico, and the South and Central American mainland, but never accomplished his original goal—a western ocean route to the great cities of Asia. Columbus died in Spain in 1506 without realizing the great scope of what he did achieve: He had discovered for Europe the New World, whose riches over the next century would help make Spain the wealthiest and most powerful nation on earth.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
On this day 1990 Operation Desert Shield becomes Desert Storm.
On August 2, 1990, Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein invaded and annexed Kuwait, the small oil-rich nation on Iraq's southern border. In response, the largest alliance since World War II was formed and led by the United States, initially to defend Saudi Arabia, and then to prepare for the retake of Kuwait.

Operation Desert Shield was the name of this operation. More than 500,000 US troops were deployed to Saudi Arabia beginning on August 7, 1990. As diplomacy wore on, and eventually failed, the UN passed a resolution authorizing all necessary means to remove Iraq from Kuwait, and Operation Desert Shield became Operation Desert Storm: the military to remove Saddam's forces.

The war was quick, over in 100 hours, and Iraq was expelled from Kuwait. The conflict with the West simmered however, leading to a second, far more disastrous conflict in 2003.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1830 Louis Phillipe is crowned King of France.

In 1824, Louis XVIII was succeeded on the throne by his brother, Charles X. As the unpopular Charles X angered the bourgeoisie with his policies, Louis-Philippe, now one of the wealthiest men in France, maintained contact with liberal opposition groups. When Charles X issued four repressive ordinances in 1830, the July Revolution led to a loss of control for the monarchy. Louis-Philippe stepped into the power vacuum and was elected lieutenant general of France. After Charles X abdicated, Louis-Philippe was sworn in as King Louis-Philippe I on August 9, 1830.
During his reign, Louis-Philippe escaped from eight assassination attempts.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Nagasaki was the second Japanese city to be bombed by the US in the dying days of World War II. Unlike "Little Boy" dropped on Hiroshima on the 6th August 1945, Nagasaki's bomb, christened "Fat Man", was plutonium based and dropped three days later on the 9th August.

Although this second bomb was more powerful than that dropped on Hiroshima, the hilly terrain of Nagasaki protected it to some extent and there was no firestorm. The effects were still catastrophic, with the exact death toll unknown but estimated at about 75,000.

The question is was it really necessary to drop another bomb on the Japs? Records show that they were ready to throw in the towel as long as they could keep their beloved Hirohito as emperor. this is only a personal opinion now.
Could it have been a show of force to the Russians to let them know that they had the means of dropping two bombs in a three day period?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Could it have been a show of force to the Russians to let them know that they had the means of dropping two bombs in a three day period?
That was important factor for sure. In that moment cold war was already in full swing. Don't know when cold war actually started? Was it when Americans joined war. Was it even before war?
Probably there is no certain moment. It's more relationship between 2 super powers getting colder and tauter as time went on.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nagasaki was the second Japanese city to be bombed by the US in the dying days of World War II. Unlike "Little Boy" dropped on Hiroshima on the 6th August 1945, Nagasaki's bomb, christened "Fat Man", was plutonium based and dropped three days later on the 9th August.

Although this second bomb was more powerful than that dropped on Hiroshima, the hilly terrain of Nagasaki protected it to some extent and there was no firestorm. The effects were still catastrophic, with the exact death toll unknown but estimated at about 75,000.

The question is was it really necessary to drop another bomb on the Japs? Records show that they were ready to throw in the towel as long as they could keep their beloved Hirohito as emperor. this is only a personal opinion now.
It would of cost the Americans /allies too many casualties to land on the Japanese Mainland. Hence it needed a big message to send to the Japanese and everybody else enough is enough! God knows the cost of every war is that of innocent civilians I’ve seen that myself too many times!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
13th August 1942 The 'Manhattan Project' commences, under the direction of US General Leslie Groves: its aim - to deliver an atomic bomb,
The Manhattan Project was the codename for the American effort to develop and test nuclear weapons during World War
II. Run by General Leslie Groves, the construction of the actual bomb was overseen by Robert Oppenheimer, who was head of the Los Alamos Laboratory where it was developed.

In 1939 a letter written by Leo Szilard and signed by Albert Einstein was delivered to US President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The letter urged the United States to develop uranium stockpiles and commence research efforts, especially as Nazi Germany might do the same.

Two bomb types were developed: Little Boy, a uranium bomb, and Fat Man, a plutonium bomb. The work was carried out with extreme secrecy; many of those working on the project had no idea what they were working towards. Despite the security, Soviet spies managed to penetrate the project, and were aware that the US had developed the bomb.

On July 16, 1945, the Trinity test became the first detonation of a nuclear weapon. Less than a month later, President Harry Truman authorized the use of nuclear weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, to date the only use of nuclear weapons in history. The bombs brought about the quick end of World War II without the need for a catastrophic invasion of Japan, but with an exceptionally high loss of civilian life in the two destroyed cities.