a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French aid sent to Lebanon

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Great Stuff. I'd say that the last guy is either the company medic or a doctor.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Maybe, I don’t know. What makes you think that? The grey case he’s carrying on top of his backpack?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Medic pack, am sure he is carrying. Had mentioned it before, elsewhere.
The fact is he’s the only one wearing a mask too... He has to protect himself for not to transmit to others when given assistance / treatment...
Bet all were tested for COVID before embarking?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The fact is he’s the only one wearing a mask too... He has to protect himself for not to transmit to others when given assistance / treatment...
That sounds correct to me LPC. He will have a whole load of supplies in the cargo hold of course. However as soon as they debarque he will be ready to hit the ground running.
I'm surprised that Manu hasn't announced it in one of his many speeches on world politics. Perhaps it's because it's the legion?
the Sécurité Civile* are, as usual, doing a great job out there.

*Link to the Security▶ Civil in English.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you zoom-in to the photo, yo can see that everyone is actually wearing a mask also.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It just goes to show that whichever combat regiment in France, including Corsica, you stand a good chance of going overseas. I'll admit that under the circumstances, you have more chance of going to Beirut being in the genie, than say the REC. However I believe that Mark mentioned that he'd done a tour there with the REP, different circumstances, but the same country.
So for all of you who are joining for adventure 90% and hoping to see more than just France 99%, go for it.

1st + 2nd ▶ REG I don't know if this can be classed as an OPEX, probably mission of assistance exterior, but even still.
My advice to all those who are going to join: stay in a combat company as long as possible.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
It just goes to show that whichever combat regiment in France, including Corsica, you stand a good chance of going overseas. I'll admit that under the circumstances, you have more chance of going to Beirut being in the genie, than say the REC. However I believe that Mark mentioned that he'd done a tour there with the REP, different circumstances, but the same country.
So for all of you who are joining for adventure 90% and hoping to see more than just France 99%, go for it.

1st + 2nd ▶ REG I don't know if this can be classed as an OPEX, probably mission of assistance exterior, but even still.
My advice to all those who are going to join: stay in a combat company as long as possible.
But aren't the genies the deployed the most?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure. It depends on the circumstances. For example where there is potential short sharp action needed then it will be the REP or 2 REI. Obviously if it is a Para rotation, then it will be the REP.
Also the 13DBLE cannot be ruled out now that they have gotten their feet back on the ground.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
But aren't the genies the deployed the most?

Genie , Calvary and Infantry / Para
This is not a combat Opex
Genie will build and demine, if needed too
Cavalry will block the axes
Infantry/ Paras will do most of mobile patrolling and guarding, if needed to be, but you can be sure the army will find them the meaning of their existence

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So what does that say about caporaux chefs? !? !
We were both caporaux before being promoted to caporaux chefs!😉 god knows we heard it from all sides if we screwed up! My last few months with the 3ème cie 13dble. I was a command caporal with my own group. There being a shortage of sgts in the company. I didn’t mind the responsabilité but doing a sgts job while getting paid as a cpl pissed me off just a bit.😉 none the less I was still paid well. Later going back to the REP I was promoted to cpl/chef. My god what a difference! No more shouting and screaming! I did cadre in Calvi for the para promo and the élevé caporaux. The Sargent/chef and I did the supervising and teaching. The caporals!?? Thank god they were there! It made our jobs so much easier!

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Genie , Calvary and Infantry / Para
This is not a combat Opex
Genie will build and demine, if needed too
Cavalry will block the axes
Infantry/ Paras will do most of mobile patrolling and guarding, if needed to be, but you can be sure the army will find them the meaning of their existence
But they all work at the same environment?

Like they send Infantry/genie/cavalry, for example, to the same operation or they rotate between the regiments?

If you are not deployed, can you try some specializations courses available(Like medicine, mechanics, languages, wepons etc), in the meantime?