a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid-19 and joining -Important update

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I usually check the news first thing when I open my computer. However nowadays it is nothing more than the US elections, Coronavirus and the latest protests about black lives matter. So not really my priority nowadays, however I did come across this which may be of use to you:
You don't even need to visit the circus my friends, just come visit my country and you'll get a good laugh 😂😂😂

Thanks for the article Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Update:

Covid 19 test must be a PRC MOLECULAR test. This is the one that takes a lab to process, and in the glorious united states of america, that means you're waiting 2-6 days AVERAGE for results to get back. Meaning, you will have to provide a test less than 72 hrs (3days) old, so you have a tiny window.

The French will test you on sight, and quarantine is still a must as far as I can tell.

Also, the US embassy almost assured me that I will not be given access to entering France, and that even humanitarian workers have hell getting through. This is extremely annoying of course, and it's likely with the rising cases that Americans and others will not be able to volunteer at this time.

So, I am unsure of what to do. I am will able to travel, and I'm willing to risk being told to f--k off because I actually really need to be there as quickly as possible.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, feel free to let me know either in this thread or via PM

8 days until departure

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Update:

Covid 19 test must be a PRC MOLECULAR test. This is the one that takes a lab to process, and in the glorious united states of america, that means you're waiting 2-6 days AVERAGE for results to get back. Meaning, you will have to provide a test less than 72 hrs (3days) old, so you have a tiny window.

The French will test you on sight, and quarantine is still a must as far as I can tell.

Also, the US embassy almost assured me that I will not be given access to entering France, and that even humanitarian workers have hell getting through. This is extremely annoying of course, and it's likely with the rising cases that Americans and others will not be able to volunteer at this time.

So, I am unsure of what to do. I am will able to travel, and I'm willing to risk being told to f--k off because I actually really need to be there as quickly as possible.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, feel free to let me know either in this thread or via PM

8 days until departure

If I were to give it a go right now. I'd fly to a schengen/E.U. country that currently accepts US passports as a point of entry. I was thinking Ireland/U.K.. Do the 14 days quarantine there, then try to enter France from the U.K. Hire a private boat to cross the English channel, or hell if you're fit enough swim across lol. If I were to tackle this same problem but from the east side. I'd fly to Croatia first, then try the refugee routes to France. Sneaking across the borders in Europe wasn't too difficult pre covid. I'm not too sure about now.

hmm IMO the Northern E.U. are sticklers... if only Spain was accepting US passports, it'd be a cinch to get to France from Spain.

This is froma very small amount of research on current flights , and immigration information.

Last edited:

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Update:

8 days until departure

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If I were to give it a go right now. I'd fly to a schengen/E.U. country that currently accepts US passports as a point of entry. I was thinking Ireland/U.K.. Do the 14 days quarantine there, then try to enter France from the U.K. Hire a private boat to cross the English channel, or hell if you're fit enough swim across lol. If I were to tackle this same problem but from the east side. I'd fly to Croatia first, then try the refugee routes to France. Sneaking across the borders in Europe wasn't too difficult pre covid. I'm not too sure about now.

hmm IMO the Northern E.U. are sticklers... if only Spain was accepting US passports, it'd be a cinch to get to France from Spain.

This is froma very small amount of research on current flights , and immigration information.
The plan is to go from the airport into quarantine in Aubagne. Now I've heard a Canadian say that is what he is doing, or was doing a month ago. I assume he's in selection now, so I saved an extra $600 just in case I must do that. Which is fine, just gives me two more weeks to get more motivated and ready.

I'm 100% sure americans are f--ked regardless because of the bad reputation he have involving the current bs.

Anyways, we will find out. If it doest work, I'll simply find another way

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I have heard that there is a new test (fr) that gives the result in 15 minutes (approx)
Any buddy can confirm this?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes I saw that on the news. Although they compare the reliability to that of pregnancy testing. Obviously they are both completely different subjects, what they are trying to point out is that it is only an indication.
One bit of news which may interest A_Wanderer is that the French government has reduced the quarantine period from 14 days to 07 (seven).

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes I saw that on the news. Although they compare the reliability to that of pregnancy testing. Obviously they are both completely different subjects, what they are trying to point out is that it is only an indication.
One bit of news which may interest A_Wanderer is that the French government has reduced the quarantine period from 14 days to 07 (seven).

By hell, maybe there is a god. This is excellent news, and will save me some money. Thanks for the update Joe, it's very appreciated.

I fly out tomorrow friends, let's gooo!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
All the packing list is in order, paperwork is in order. Just waiting for the test results, which will be in before I touch ground in France. Health is in good order, motivation is annoying high according to my friends, and I'm eager to see if I make the cut.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
let me be the first to wish you good luck and also to wish you godspeed. You're a brave man, A_Wanderer. I can't wait to welcome you on the forum as a green. Now go for it and remember what your goal is; they're not giving away those white képis.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
let me be the first to wish you good luck and also to wish you godspeed. You're a brave man, A_Wanderer. I can't wait to welcome you on the forum as a green. Now go for it and remember what your goal is; they're not giving away those white képis.

If I don't win the képi, it'll be because I was unworthy, and I'll just have to keep on moving to the next adventure. But I'm very excited for this opportunity, thankful that I'm able and had good people rooting me on in this venture.

I will keep in touch and try to give updates as often as I can, so that the others who are wanting to go know that they can, even with all these new rules concerning the virus.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Curfew in France since yesterday. 21 h till 06 hrs a.m.
You need a attestation outside of these hours
It's fkn dark and cold anyway
I will post more when i know more
LPC

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
j'ai vu ca caporal i'm very worried about more restrictions I have a plane to catch soon

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
j'ai vu ca caporal i'm very worried about more restrictions I have a plane to catch soon
Try getting in touch with the legion before going. Keep a copy of anything, such as "you don't have to make an appointment, just turn up" which will be a kind of proof that you are going to join. Regardless of what the situation is at the moment, try and get the 'test' done within 72 hours of leaving. what I mean by that is that you should look into the possibilities of having the test done (and do it) as the rules and regulations are changing so fast.

Just to give you an example from what Le Petit Caporal has said. It was only announced a couple of days ago about the curfew in major cities. Which means that, especially on weekends the bars and restaurants will lose a lot of money. Not to mention the theaters and cinemas and Operas. No-one wants to go and watch La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini at 17:30. Or visit the Opera area of Marseilles for that matter :ROFLMAO:. Of course Manu has promised to make it up to them Finalicial wise, where he's going to get the money from I don't know.