a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One step closer....(ish)

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Was on the forum last year and was recommended to get a year or 2 life experience before heading for the legion. I worked for a year as a health care assistant, while not outside as recommended I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt like I was finally doing some good. Of my 3 training injuries, luckily my knees are doing way better now and I'm completeing weighted exercises well. However, my shins are seemingly worse than this time last year which is incredibly annoying! A year of physio every night and seemingly no progress🤬. I'm hopefully finally getting a scan for my shins ASAP and while it will probably prevent me from being able to join the UK Armed forces, I believe the legion is still very possible if I can get it all fixed, and I will not stop until it is!
Shoulder wise, it got better and worse, better...worse due to work overuse. Left my job now so I can focus solely on fixing it and getting to the legion!

I've set my sites hopefully on joining in June 2021, giving myself enough time to up my training enough so I dont injure myself again. I ideally want to be at a strong PRMC grade pass before heading to the recruitment centre for the Legion - using the PRMC as a basis of whether I'm fit enough.

End of the update, thanks all and I can't wait to finally get closer to making it into the Legion!!!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
hi Corona and welcome back (LOL). It's good to see that you've gotten yourself a bit of life experience. Make sure that you get everything sorted out before you go to join, otherwise with the tough training of the legion, you may ( no you will) live to regret it in later life.
All the best, mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
hi Corona and welcome back (LOL). It's good to see that you've gotten yourself a bit of life experience. Make sure that you get everything sorted out before you go to join, otherwise with the tough training of the legion, you may ( no you will) live to regret it in later life.
All the best, mate.
Thanks, I did think about perhaps joining in the hope that the problems will fix themselves but I was delivered some sound advice:
"Turn up with shin splints, leave with shin splints"

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That is unfortunately true. Once you have been certified apt for service by the doctor In Aubagne and again the doctor in Castel, any injuries that you obtain during training is the legion's responsibility. Therefore the doctors cannot take any chances, especially as there are so many people to choose from.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
That is unfortunately true. Once you have been certified apt for service by the doctor In Aubagne and again the doctor in Castel, any injuries that you obtain during training is the legion's responsibility. Therefore the doctors cannot take any chances, especially as there are so many people to choose from.

If you are to pick up an injury in training, do you get put into a rehab place of sorts and then put back into training once healed? Or is it if you pick up an injury, it just wasn't meant to be?

Thanks

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If you are to pick up an injury in training, do you get put into a rehab place of sorts and then put back into training once healed? Or is it if you pick up an injury, it just wasn't meant to be?

Thanks
Hi Corona, I'm sorry I thought that I'd answered your question. Perhaps I'd had the intention to do so and then gotten side tracked.
It is in the legion's own interest to keep as many recruits as possible during and after training. Which is why it P$sses me off when you hear half assed tales of those who have taken the place of another recruit and then suddenly decide that they want to go home. Oh yes, they'll have all kinds of tales to tell, you've only got to watch The Viking's or Mr Black's or the extraordinary Ryan's youtube channels to hear them. In the end they still haven't finished their contract. Basta !

Enough about my ranting (has anyone seen Dusa lately?) the answer is yes you will go to rehabilitation, whether it is in the hospital HIA Laveran or in Castel, failing that, it the injury is a worse than expected they have places which are designated for the French army, I've got one on the tip of my tongue, it's in the mountains.
Depending on how long you are out of training could result in you being back squaded, in other words having to start with another section who was (roughly) where you left off before. If you have finished your basic training and you are injured in your regiment or on operations, depending on the gravity of the situation you will be given a job which will best suit your disabilities. Which is why when the night jumper tried to tell us that he was kicked out because of a jumping accident, did not hold water.
I hope that that answers your question (tardive).

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hi Corona, I'm sorry I thought that I'd answered your question. Perhaps I'd had the intention to do so and then gotten side tracked.
It is in the legion's own interest to keep as many recruits as possible during and after training. Which is why it P$sses me off when you hear half assed tales of those who have taken the place of another recruit and then suddenly decide that they want to go home. Oh yes, they'll have all kinds of tales to tell, you've only got to watch The Viking's or Mr Black's or the extraordinary Ryan's youtube channels to hear them. In the end they still haven't finished their contract. Basta !

Enough about my ranting (has anyone seen Dusa lately?) the answer is yes you will go to rehabilitation, whether it is in the hospital HIA Laveran or in Castel, failing that, it the injury is a worse than expected they have places which are designated for the French army, I've got one on the tip of my tongue, it's in the mountains.
Depending on how long you are out of training could result in you being back squaded, in other words having to start with another section who was (roughly) where you left off before. If you have finished your basic training and you are injured in your regiment or on operations, depending on the gravity of the situation you will be given a job which will best suit your disabilities. Which is why when the night jumper tried to tell us that he was kicked out because of a jumping accident, did not hold water.
I hope that that answers your question (tardive).
Thanks for the wealth of info, much appreciated

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Goddamn , another step back. 2 Stress fractures (1 in each shin). On the bright side my shoulder is healing well.

Gonna give myself until Feb to try and make it (healed) if not I'll go to uni and try again in a few years when my body is fixed and doesnt keep getting injuries.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Corona, where do all these injuries come from? Is it the training?

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hi Corona, where do all these injuries come from? Is it the training?
I think its often due to overtraining, and stepping it up too fast. With the shins I think it was doing the running drills the physio gave me too soon/much and not paying attention very well to the pain scale thing she gave me so I'd know when to stop, as I wanted to get through them asap. Which was a very stupid decision on my part.

The shoulder injury I really don't know why it keeps coming back, I always do everything the physios say with it and I've been doing loads of rotator cuff exercises for 2 years now. However, I'm making sure I take it slow and steady this time so hopefully I'll be doing full pushups by mid-end of May if all goes well.

I have been resting my shins a lot since the stress fractures and I think this time I'm gonna take it slow and steady with those and try not to rush so much. I think I need to remember that the Legion will still be there in a few months time lol

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
M'y advice IS wait a couple of months longer..... septembre/octobre
Covid crap and all that jazz
Come with a vacanition certificat
Our lock down isn't finished
L.P.C.
Post Schitum
Rest IS best and stop training up like as if you are going to run thé Kentucky derby, ffs!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Corona,

If I may give you some advice. And this is a personal thing as I have have no re-education qualifications at all. Why not go to university as you have stated and give it six months without training. Or at least taking it extremely easy. Then around the Christmas period gradually start training up for the legion.
Then during the summer break give the legion a try. At least if you fail then you can continue your studies.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Corona,

If I may give you some advice. And this is a personal thing as I have have no re-education qualifications at all. Why not go to university as you have stated and give it six months without training. Or at least taking it extremely easy. Then around the Christmas period gradually start training up for the legion.
Then during the summer break give the legion a try. At least if you fail then you can continue your studies.
Thanks, yeah that is unfortunately the way its looking which really isnt what I want to do but, if the end result is me in the Legion then all will be worth it

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
All the best, mate.
I totally agree with Joe here. Over a period, my case 20-years in the USMC 25 to 45, stay limber and try to be lean, not heavy muscled. Stay as flexible as possible and correctly train and rest. At 57 I have lost count of the steroid shots in my back, shoulder, and knee. I have had a hip replaced and I have had a few Rhizotomies, it's when the burn the nerves in your back. But with the life comes the orthopedic injuries and I'd do it again if I could. Be ready to pay the price.

Shin splints are no fun and with the force marches, the Kepi March, and running shin splints can bring you down.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Corona,

Thought I'd come back on and let you know this is still the plan! Gave my shins 4 months to recover and now slowly building up with short walks. Got the go ahead to start weighted leg workouts again and it feels good to be doing proper exercises instead of the physio stuff.
I totally agree with Joe here. Over a period, my case 20-years in the USMC 25 to 45, stay limber and try to be lean, not heavy muscled. Stay as flexible as possible and correctly train and rest. At 57 I have lost count of the steroid shots in my back, shoulder, and knee. I have had a hip replaced and I have had a few Rhizotomies, it's when the burn the nerves in your back. But with the life comes the orthopedic injuries and I'd do it again if I could. Be ready to pay the price.

Shin splints are no fun and with the force marches, the Kepi March, and running shin splints can bring you down.
Thank you for the advice, I will try and ensure I don't forget stretches.

Ironically I started this thread almost a year ago to the day:oops: