a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING Greetings

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Hello friends,

First off all - thank you for this forum, it has been very useful for me the last few months.
I am a 29-year old european man who will knock on the door of the foreign legion in a few weeks.

I have several reasons for wanting to join but the biggest one is the opportunity for a second chance of life, a life with purpose and pride.
I decided a few months ago and have been training for this,s learning basic french and reading/watching videos about the legion every day.

This is the right way for me I know it in my heart and my only fear is being rejected definitf.
Physically and mentally I will pass the intial tests, I am also very confident in my ability to communicate my motivation.
My teeth and health are also perfect, no scars, no damage or injuries, no nothing.

I have however one dilemma and was hoping to get some advice in this matter:
In my life I have smoked weed and partied with cocaine, also used steroids.

My instinct is to be 100% honest with this because it was more when I was younger and it has been less and less and almost nothing the last year.
I want the legion to be my new home and family and lying then seems wrong, also I suspect if I get caught lying this would definitly make me definitif.
Also I sincerely believe that in spite of this history I am a good candidate and I feel confident the legion will see this.

However I have seen people getting advice here not to talk about smoking weed or even cigarettes so this confuses me.

I would greatly appreciate a comment in this regard to help me in my process.

Thank you,

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I don't know of anyone who advised you about not admitting to smoking? Giving it up, yes. In fact I have advised people who don't smoke to take along a couple of packets of marlboro in order to make friends. if when you are checked and asked by the Cpl if you smoke, just answer from time to time, otherwise it will be the corporal who will be your new friend.
Whatever you decide to tell them concerning steroids and drugs, then stick to it.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello friends,

First off all - thank you for this forum, it has been very useful for me the last few months.
I am a 29-year old european man who will knock on the door of the foreign legion in a few weeks.

I have several reasons for wanting to join but the biggest one is the opportunity for a second chance of life, a life with purpose and pride.
I decided a few months ago and have been training for this,s learning basic french and reading/watching videos about the legion every day.

This is the right way for me I know it in my heart and my only fear is being rejected definitf.
Physically and mentally I will pass the intial tests, I am also very confident in my ability to communicate my motivation.
My teeth and health are also perfect, no scars, no damage or injuries, no nothing.

I have however one dilemma and was hoping to get some advice in this matter:
In my life I have smoked weed and partied with cocaine, also used steroids.

My instinct is to be 100% honest with this because it was more when I was younger and it has been less and less and almost nothing the last year.
I want the legion to be my new home and family and lying then seems wrong, also I suspect if I get caught lying this would definitly make me definitif.
Also I sincerely believe that in spite of this history I am a good candidate and I feel confident the legion will see this.

However I have seen people getting advice here not to talk about smoking weed or even cigarettes so this confuses me.

I would greatly appreciate a comment in this regard to help me in my process.

Thank you,
No one knows anything about your drug use other than what you tell them, unless Interpol was involved, nobody's business. At best you will get a super sensitive piss test, in the US Military we test to a far lower threshold than civilian or other Federal Agencies will. You are not going to have a DNA Hair Sample test, far to expensive. Piss in the cup and pass the big five they are looking for, that is test negative for those 5 drugs.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Your instinct is bad. :)
Yes it is, very very bad, no one knows and all you are doing or will be doing is allowing them to Disqualify you because far far more walk into the door than are needed and accepted. Close the door on that part of your life, it is over, move on without committing Self Inflected Suicide/Disqualification.

True story here, when I was assigned to USMC Recruiting for three years I lost a recruit because he told them he sold a joint to his friend....BAM end of the ROAD Dumbass, you "Dealt in Drugs." Other side of the coin, guys say I smoked MJ "EXPERIMENTALLY 50 TIMES." No big deal, they pass the piss test at their physical and the one when the get to boot camp, they are Gold. That recruit permanently disqualified himself, he was no dealer in the truest sense of the word....did not matter, the US Marine Corps said go away and so will the rest of the US Armed Forces, everything is computerized now so a DQ is forever, not as easy to go to another branch of the armed forces to join.

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Thank you all for the responses, since this is an old part of an old life I take your advice on keeping it off the books, no reason to risk disqualification over something that does not affect me ajourdhui

However I did get convicted for a small possession of marijuana 3-4 years ago which is in my criminal record.
This is public information in my country meaning very easy to find out.

Also I read the gestapo likely is aware of this forum and if they were to read this thread they would probably easily spot me since my country is not very common in the legion as of what I've heard

Sh$t now I really am split

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Being too honest isn't always the best solution
Will get back to you on this

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
How many times must I repeat myself, be careful of what you print.
I wouldn't worry too much about the "Gestapo" remembering you or what you have posted. The only thing is if they ask you whether or not you were on any legion forums ex Reddit or facebook and you answer truthfully yes, then just say that you never officially joined.