a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It would be a big boost for the young men on here wishing to join. I am sure you can do it at 63 !

shirly xx
My view on anyone joining any army they should be arriving fit and capable of doing the basics get a lot of arm chair warriors on this form that will never join regardless of the questions they ask, this is not aimed at anyone pacific more a generic view.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
My view on anyone joining any army they should be arriving fit and capable of doing the basics get a lot of arm chair warriors on this form that will never join regardless of the questions they ask, this is not aimed at anyone pacific more a generic view.
I am sure you can do it Papillon.
Best wishes Shirly xx

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When I joined in '82 I was blessed by having two sadistic PT instructors at Rowallan Coy and at Hereford.
Whe I joined you had to rope climb at Aubagne as part of selection, you could choose to do a climb arms only or with feet. The difference was that with feet required double the number of times as arms only. Unless you have been taught how to climb using your feet, that, is a big advantage!
I think I read that the huit mille is to be done in track shoes now?
(sarcastic emoji)

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
When I joined in '82 I was blessed by having two sadistic PT instructors at Rowallan Coy and at Hereford.
Whe I joined you had to rope climb at Aubagne as part of selection, you could choose to do a climb arms only or with feet. The difference was that with feet required double the number of times as arms only. Unless you have been taught how to climb using your feet, that, is a big advantage!
(sarcastic emoji)
Track shoes? What's the world coming to? :LOL:

Good advice re. feet. I'm going to start rope stuff tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Track shoes? What's the world coming to? :LOL:

Good advice re. feet. I'm going to start rope stuff tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.
The rope climbing using your feet is called the stirrup method the US call it the S method or the wrap around. It is worth learning both ways, which is to say, with your arms only and with your feet by using your feet.
Let's be honest, with the help of your feet getting to the top of a rope is easier than using you arms alone. However, if you are weighted down or tired then you will need your feet. It's a good exercise, because not only does it work your arms and shoulders, but also your abs.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(sarcastic emoji)
Maim, Papillon, Little Cpl, J. Waltos and other distinguished Anciens. We all had it tough in our time. Many experienced severe discipline.

My revered PWI Squad Sgt and former WW2 commando made the following comment to me as a callow youth; Well lad if you can't take a joke, you should never have joined. Most apt !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Climbing this rope is going to take some practice.
Which is why you have been forewarned;) Once you have the technic and the strength, it only needs a bit of training twice a week before you go. I would also recommend that you did some distance training, running wise I mean. A lot of those who are on here (hiding in the background) think that it is sufficient to train up for the Luc Leger. How wrong they are.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
God damn those who will never join! :mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Which is why you have been forewarned;) Once you have the technic and the strength, it only needs a bit of training twice a week before you go. I would also recommend that you did some distance training, running wise I mean. A lot of those who are on here (hiding in the background) think that it is sufficient to train up for the Luc Leger. How wrong they are.
The stirrup method's helpful. Don't worry - I'm covering my bases re. running. ;)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The stirrup method's helpful. Don't worry - I'm covering my bases re. running. ;)
Have you joined a running club or gone into any events that that may give you a certificate?
The French have a saying which translates as : Spoken words are good, written words stay.
I'm hoping that you can read between the lines.