a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does the Legion Need?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mostly money, and attitude issues. I was unemployed for a long time, struggling with money. And I live quite far. (as you might have notice).

Also, I'm sure that three years ago I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes with my shit attitude. That's why I'm asking precisely on that regard.

Now I have a semi decent job, and enough money to save up for the plane. Needed to get my shit in order. A lot of other sentimental stuff that none of you give a fuck about.

I'm glad though, cause I think now I might have a better chance. But we'll see.
To be honest buddy I was on about here and now, not 3 years ago but if you have not addressed all your issues over the 3 year period then is it not unfair to expect the Legion to sort your out?
I say this as I was an ass when I was young behaviours effect yourself and others I must have driven some of my colleagues mad with my attitude and antics you have to decide on what’s best for you but the Legion can’t save every person sometimes we have to do it ourselves.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Bruno, you have said that you've been on here for a while, so you should know that bad language is not allowed. For me personally I don't care, it is the rules. Last chance.

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
To be honest buddy I was on about here and now, not 3 years ago but if you have not addressed all your issues over the 3 year period then is it not unfair to expect the Legion to sort your out?
I say this as I was an ass when I was young behaviours effect yourself and others I must have driven some of my colleagues mad with my attitude and antics you have to decide on what’s best for you but the Legion can’t save every person sometimes we have to do it ourselves.
I can't remember what I replied here, I think I was deleted because of foul language, my bad.

But yeah, you're absolutely right, I don't expect the legion to be my mom or dad, that's why I'm happy I couldn't leave back then. Maybe now I have a better chance.

This last few years a lot changed, I even decided to finish school, because I was a quitter, and quitters don't last in the FFL.

Like I think I said before, while solipsistic, I think that if anyone can do it, then so can I. That's why I want to hear stories of those attributes that the old timers saw in men who did it.

And like I think I said before, if I get rejected for something really dumb and out of my control, that's fine by me, but let it not be because of something I could've worked on.

So thanks man, I appreciate your comment.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Well would not be surprised! Unfortunately whoever it is something just does not stack up!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bruno
You state the following!
“But yeah, you're absolutely right, I don't expect the legion to be my mom or dad, that's why I'm happy I couldn't leave back then. Maybe now I have a better chance.”

As my understanding of joining is that you are actually taking on the Legion as your Mother and Father that’s the reason the Legion will always look after their own for ever!

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert, ring a bell ?
I reckon so ...
1200px-Darcelle_at_Keller_Fountain.jpg

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
Bruno
You state the following!
“But yeah, you're absolutely right, I don't expect the legion to be my mom or dad, that's why I'm happy I couldn't leave back then. Maybe now I have a better chance.”

As my understanding of joining is that you are actually taking on the Legion as your Mother and Father that’s the reason the Legion will always look after their own for ever!

Maybe, but with less emphasis on the mollycoddling. More like an old-school drunk dad. I have an old Cuban soldier friend, he always says that the nation is the Mother, the Army is the Father.

Maybe in that sense?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Maybe, but with less emphasis on the mollycoddling. More like an old-school drunk dad. I have an old Cuban soldier friend, he always says that the nation is the Mother, the Army is the Father.

Maybe in that sense?
Like you sort of give up all ties with Civi street and take the Legion as your Mum/Dad 😀

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sounds a bit sad, but I really don't have much in my "civi" life. So it doesn't sound too bad to be honest.
Bruno,

Stop bloody moaning about 'civi' life and go for it. As for your so called ego that will be sorted out.

Born before WW2, I lost my family and was adopted from a 'Quedley' children's home. I joined the RM and was trained by former WW2 Cdos where they sorted the wheat from the chaff.

If you ever join the FFL - which I doubt, rest assured you will grow up in rapid time or be given the boot

Simply go. Carpe Diem.