a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legio... Patria... Nostra...

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Hello everyone,
Iiwanted to write something about the Legion, about us who were there, even once, or about those who will join in the future, I want to write something about my experience.
One year ago, on that day, I passed all exams, IQ, sports and medical, and one year ago on that day I went to “blue” step... It’s my son’s birthday today and it was very hard for me, be there without contact, too far from him, but I passed everything, went to Aubagne, was there one week (as a “blue”). At start I didn't want to say anything about my son to the Legion, I wanted to lie, but then I thought, it wouldn’t be right and I told them about it. They told me in the “gestapo” interview that I could not turn “red” because of this. But I was right, I didn't lie... One night I was thinking that in the morning I would go and tell them I wanted to go, but on the second morning, I didn’t do that was. And it was repeated all day, even on swimming test, when I was half way in the swimming pool, I was thinking that’s all I can’t finish, now i will go up, but then I swam to the end... On the next day they called the guys who made it red and I my name wasn’t called. I experienced mixed feelings, on one hand I was happy, I was returning to my son but on the second hand, I was crying when we were leaving Aubagne...
There I found people like me, they were thinking like me, they were living like me, we were not close friends but we stand more than close friends in that two weeks and I didn’t even know their real names and they didn’t know mine... One year passed and during that period I sent lots of letters, but received no answer. I realized everything and I want to go back. One year has passed but I want it, I am realizing everything and I agree, but there is no answer to my letters... thats motivation one year passed and nothing changed, i want to go back, cos part of me is there agan, part of me stayed there. I want to be part of Legion, with my heart and soul. I don't have anything to hide and i want to back, exactly for my son to make him proud of me in the future.
Georgi Jubutia (Legion Name)

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
As a father, my advice is stay with your son, be a good parent, a good provider, a good example, a MAN. Being a distant memory, a voice on the phone, an occasional visit won't replace those years when he's growing up without you by his side, to watch him grow, take his first steps, learn to ride a bike, learn to tie his shoes, etc.
You'll end up realizing this when you have already signed the dotted line, and you'll be doubting yourself that means you are not 100% mentally there to do your job. That could be dangerous. Or you might end up deserting, then live with the regret all your life, making you a bitter guy...
Stay home, raise your kid(s), him (they) will be more proud of you that way. Who knows, maybe your son will be a great Légionnaire and make you proud of him...
Bonne chance !

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Are you writing this for yourself buddy on the hope it’s picked up by the Legion? Sometimes it’s not just one thing that gets you turned away through the process (your son) lots of other things my advice take it on the chin move on with your life you got further than a lot of other guys, if all you say is fact! But still think you have posted this for other reasons and other people out of the forum to read. And if I’m wrong well I apologise but I may never know but finishing with your Legion name just makes me feel uncomfortable, but as usually this is my response and might not reflect others’!

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
I wrote it just to say what i am feeling, i finished my letter with my name... i think i made it cos, after this time, after that letters without answer, i think i dont have any hope that they will give some chance and cos of that, it doesn't matter... i think everything is done... for me. thats just my history and yea i am Georgi Jubitia... i was and i wanted to be but i know that it will never happen again.

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
If I had lied to them, I would be there now100% ... but i didn't wanted start relation with legion with lie, u know many of legioners are making like that and i think sometimes its better.... Not think its fact , co s i know many legioners who lied even on wife and after they stand legioners, only after that they said that and nothing... happy end

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
As a father, my advice is stay with your son, be a good parent, a good provider, a good example, a MAN. Being a distant memory, a voice on the phone, an occasional visit won't replace those years when he's growing up without you by his side, to watch him grow, take his first steps, learn to ride a bike, learn to tie his shoes, etc.
You'll end up realizing this when you have already signed the dotted line, and you'll be doubting yourself that means you are not 100% mentally there to do your job. That could be dangerous. Or you might end up deserting, then live with the regret all your life, making you a bitter guy...
Stay home, raise your kid(s), him (they) will be more proud of you that way. Who knows, maybe your son will be a great Légionnaire and make you proud of him...
Bonne chance !
Thanks for that words <3 thank you very much

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
We can't give you advice on how to live your life. I'm only speaking from my own experience and what I've seen others go through. Keep in mind, the most Légion experience I have is being at the wedding of a Légionnaire and getting drunk with some of them... My poor liver still hates me for that...

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
We can't give you advice on how to live your life. I'm only speaking from my own experience and what I've seen others go through. Keep in mind, the most Légion experience I have is being at the wedding of a Légionnaire and getting drunk with some of them... My poor liver still hates me for that...
))) thanks, yea i needed advices like that, its not easy to be legionar when u are parenth, i realized it when i was there, its 100% true what are u saying, i know it and i am thinking often like that but its still something in my which eats me from inside a little...It may be a matter of time and it will pass, i don't know .

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of challenges and occasions to prove your worth and bravery as a father. It takes a lot of effort and courage. I also considered joining in my younger years, but a quick pass through my countries military showed me that it's not really in the cards for me.
Good luck and all the best.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Son you can make whenever you want.. Jjust find the thing that can carry a burden or twa !
Put your previous behind you if you want to join the Legion.
I killed all my family members when I did
Travel light is my motto.
Nae burdens

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don’t no if your surname is Maning? Or not but to get a Legion surname with a “J” don’t make sense to me, others will no if things have changed as the civilian surname first letter stayed and in my time it would have been a name starting with “M”
Unfortunately you have joined the form at a time when I’m on guard duty ( unofficial) had some escapes from the lunatic hospital and they seem to head here, so as said things may have changed if so another apology sent your way if it warrants it.
Tell us more about your time at selection as always good to hear how things have changed what time did they have you up and what sort of stuff to pass your day anything stick out that you though what the F-c- is this all about!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don’t no if your surname is Maning? Or not but to get a Legion surname with a “J” don’t make sense to me, others will no if things have changed as the civilian surname first letter stayed and in my time it would have been a name starting with “M”
I'd be surprised if that had changed. Well spotted :)

CCh way too lazy (or too full of kroney) to be inventive about names.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Axel, it has been a while. I have just one question, which I never thought to ask you, despite our correspondence. When did you tell the 'gestapo' about your son, was it after telling them that you did not have any family ties?
Let me be a bit more clearer. Were you asked if you had any children and you said no, and then decided to come clean and told them that you did have a child?

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Hi Axel, it has been a while. I have just one question, which I never thought to ask you, despite our correspondence. When did you tell the 'gestapo' about your son, was it after telling them that you did not have any family ties?
Let me be a bit more clearer. Were you asked if you had any children and you said no, and then decided to come clean and told them that you did have a child?
Hello joe, no when I was going there in my way I wanted to lie, cos some legioners told me that it would be better for me, but when I went there I told them true, from first interview in Paris to last in Aubagne to gestapo.

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Some caporal chef told me that, that paper of definition it’s nothing, he told me that there was some Brazilian, which tried 4 time after definitif and on last try they took him…. I think I am deserving one chance, if some of guys received it 2,3,4 time… there was not any problem, they told me straight, that’s problem, u have familie… now I am divorced and I have only son

Reaction score
Home Country
Georgia
Unfortunately you have joined the form at a time when I’m on guard duty ( unofficial) had some escapes from the lunatic hospital and they seem to head here, so as said things may have changed if so another apology sent your way if it warrants it.
Tell us more about your time at selection as always good to hear how things have changed what time did they have you up and what sort of stuff to pass your day anything stick out that you though what the F-c- is this all about!
no, its same again, they are giving Name and surname with your real names first letters, in my opinion G.J.... Axel maning is just Nickname, anime character from my childhood.... about my selection, i went in nogent, it was 8 octobre, on second day i passed IQ tests, in other days there was medical tests, i met there nice guys, Russian, one was from Ukraine, Moldovan, Belarus, one Latvian, and one from Poland, they all went in RED and after that i dont know if they finished at the end... after medical tests, there was physical tests, i ran 8 palier of beep test and made 21 pull ups, on second day we went in Aubagne, with train, in aubagne there was some kind of medical tests again and gestapo interview, gestapo guys were very nice people, i was working in presidents eskort from 2011-to 2014 in georgia, from 2015 to 2020 30 september i was working in ministry of internal affairs of Georgia, I am Senior Lieutenant, when i went in room, Gestapo officer told that "Our colleague came" and we talk to much, about my life, about my jobs, about my familie, he told me that before me there was one footballer, from ukraine, he passed everything well like me but they didn't took him in red and he told me that same would be with me, after that there was interview with Psychiatrist,he asked me about my son, asked me about his health, i answered that he is healthy boy,he was from ukraine and we talk to much about ukraine and georgia, we smiled a lot and thats all... in that period in aubagne we were working, we were helping officers in In local activities, after that there was swimming test, i dont know swimming well but i swam until the end and in next day there was selecting day in red 22 octobre .... all my friend went in Rough, we were standing on oposite sides and watching eachother, it was very hard for me, we even cant say goodbay. on my way from aubagne to paris ( they gave me ticket of train) i met Caporal Chef from paris, He was surprised see me there, and on way to paris, in train, he told me that that paper its nothing, if i will decide, i can write letter, send it and there will be another chance, and told me that some guys received that chance more than 2-3 times after definitif... I am writing letters but there is no answer, even NO !... but i am feeling good when i am doing that, cos in that time i am feeling that i am part of legion in that moment, when i am sending letter, i dont know how to explain I have little hope on that time, that i will receive an answer....
It was really paradise for me there, cos i met people like me, in regular life, its hard for me to find friends, or people, who thinks or who perceives the world as me.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
no, its same again, they are giving Name and surname with your real names first letters, in my opinion G.J.... Axel maning is just Nickname, anime character from my childhood.... about my selection, i went in nogent, it was 8 octobre, on second day i passed IQ tests, in other days there was medical tests, i met there nice guys, Russian, one was from Ukraine, Moldovan, Belarus, one Latvian, and one from Poland, they all went in RED and after that i dont know if they finished at the end... after medical tests, there was physical tests, i ran 8 palier of beep test and made 21 pull ups, on second day we went in Aubagne, with train, in aubagne there was some kind of medical tests again and gestapo interview, gestapo guys were very nice people, i was working in presidents eskort from 2011-to 2014 in georgia, from 2015 to 2020 30 september i was working in ministry of internal affairs of Georgia, I am Senior Lieutenant, when i went in room, Gestapo officer told that "Our colleague came" and we talk to much, about my life, about my jobs, about my familie, he told me that before me there was one footballer, from ukraine, he passed everything well like me but they didn't took him in red and he told me that same would be with me, after that there was interview with Psychiatrist,he asked me about my son, asked me about his health, i answered that he is healthy boy,he was from ukraine and we talk to much about ukraine and georgia, we smiled a lot and thats all... in that period in aubagne we were working, we were helping officers in In local activities, after that there was swimming test, i dont know swimming well but i swam until the end and in next day there was selecting day in red 22 octobre .... all my friend went in Rough, we were standing on oposite sides and watching eachother, it was very hard for me, we even cant say goodbay. on my way from aubagne to paris ( they gave me ticket of train) i met Caporal Chef from paris, He was surprised see me there, and on way to paris, in train, he told me that that paper its nothing, if i will decide, i can write letter, send it and there will be another chance, and told me that some guys received that chance more than 2-3 times after definitif... I am writing letters but there is no answer, even NO !... but i am feeling good when i am doing that, cos in that time i am feeling that i am part of legion in that moment, when i am sending letter, i dont know how to explain I have little hope on that time, that i will receive an answer....
It was really paradise for me there, cos i met people like me, in regular life, its hard for me to find friends, or people, who thinks or who perceives the world as me.
the-enter-key-from-a-black-keyboard-picture-id114263404