a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legio... Patria... Nostra...

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I don't know mate, I agree with what most have said already on this one. Not having a family and children etc. seems to me like the best scenario if you want to join the FFL. It's not one of those things that is compatible with having a family somewhere unless you want to take 100% distance from them because 45 days a year are not a big amount of time to spend with them. Ok you will be able to provide economically but what if something happens during an OPEX somewhere? Dying or be badly wounded with a family at home is different than without. But this my take. I can totally see how maybe in other circumstances I could be in your shoes.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don't know mate, I agree with what most have said already on this one. Not having a family and children etc. seems to me like the best scenario if you want to join the FFL. It's not one of those things that is compatible with having a family somewhere unless you want to take 100% distance from them because 45 days a year are not a big amount of time to spend with them. Ok you will be able to provide economically but what if something happens during an OPEX somewhere? Dying or be badly wounded with a family at home is different than without. But this my take. I can totally see how maybe in other circumstances I could be in your shoes.

THIS IS HOW DIFFICULT IT IS FOR SOMEBODY NOT TOTALLY OUT OF SHAPE - BUT HAS "OTHER ISSUES"

I flew into Paris and went to Fort de Nogent later that same day. I was there for exactly one week, arriving on Thursday 9/23 and being taken by bus along with some 20 odd other guys to Aubagne on 9/30. From 9/30 to 10/14 I was at Aubagne until commission day, when over half of our group went rouge, as for me and the other losers we got about 600 euro and were told nicely to fuck off. Everything happens for a reason, maybe if I write a well worded letter (in French obviously) to the general, they will allow me to apply again. And obviously I would have to learn more French and get in better shape so I don’t get rejected twice. But unless and until that happens, I am “inapt definitif”, AKA I am just not what the legion is looking for.

American, 5’10”, 85kg, 8/15 on luc leger and pretty helpless when it comes to speaking French. I had other issues that I will not talk about here, other than being a little fat and slow and bad at French

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
THIS IS HOW DIFFICULT IT IS FOR SOMEBODY NOT TOTALLY OUT OF SHAPE - BUT HAS "OTHER ISSUES"

I flew into Paris and went to Fort de Nogent later that same day. I was there for exactly one week, arriving on Thursday 9/23 and being taken by bus along with some 20 odd other guys to Aubagne on 9/30. From 9/30 to 10/14 I was at Aubagne until commission day, when over half of our group went rouge, as for me and the other losers we got about 600 euro and were told nicely to fuck off. Everything happens for a reason, maybe if I write a well worded letter (in French obviously) to the general, they will allow me to apply again. And obviously I would have to learn more French and get in better shape so I don’t get rejected twice. But unless and until that happens, I am “inapt definitif”, AKA I am just not what the legion is looking for.

American, 5’10”, 85kg, 8/15 on luc leger and pretty helpless when it comes to speaking French. I had other issues that I will not talk about here, other than being a little fat and slow and bad at French

...am I wrong or that should be the recruiting group G would have be in? The period corresponds more or less.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
...am I wrong or that should be the recruiting group G would have be in? The period corresponds more or less.

No Idea FdG - I just get sent sent this stuff and save what I find interesting.

The point I was clumsily trying to make is that it's a very competitive environment.

Minimum fitness goals should be largely exceeded, not just met, and any "other issues" (other than simple criminality) will probably downgrade the EV.

In our friend's case above, I suspect the "other issues" threw bad dice for him.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Are you trying to incite peadophilia
That is a European criminal offence
You talk very like the Sexpert we once had on here..
Was his typical last resort when confronted...insulting the person by accusing / insunating that the person , fks little boys..we are reporting you to the Police and the Procurer de la République
Do you still live in Celle ? If so, in wich Quarter, i know you live in a flat, Donald, and you have a sports diplome
You have 2 sons, correct, and an older brother who also lives in Germany...both of you's are married to german nationals

do you like boys bums?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I dont know how it happens with you my friend but we are not joking like that about our ex wife's even not with our close friends circle, We understand this or that issue differently, I respect all other mentalities, but what is not mine is not and I cannot accept it... As for that "Forget your family or forget the Legion" , i saw in paris to many but i will write about one caporal chef which works in nogent, on interviews, he told me that he was having 2 child and wife when he went in legion, and after 5 years passed, he took them in paris and as he told me they are living for now together in paris, it was hard, that first 5 year, but they passed it and he didn't forget about his familie and he doesn't left legion... i saw this guy and i know that its not Necessary to forget one to chose second... and i know others too, who lives with familie already and same time they are legioners... i dont know why some of u draws legion like that, its place where u must forget everything and u must not have familie and so on.... That guy, from nogent, is real, and he haves 3 child and wife with him in paris and he had wife and 2 child when he joined in legion... thats fact.
It's called, " regroupement familial", even a clandestin can achive that after five years on french soil
Georgie is seeking advice
We are here to help
Other Mother fks we have mentioned should be kept private by us greens

Last edited:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
It's called, " regroupement familial", even a clandestin can achive that after five years on french soil
Georgie is seeking advice
We are here to help
Other Mother fks we have mentioned should be kept private by us greens
The whole issue of forgetting about family was more applicable when the legion operated mainly in Indo-China and Algeria.
The main reason was that one could only communicate with written letters and it was nearly impossible and dangerous for any family member to come for a visit.
It was mostly men who where married and had children at home who got the Cafard, not a good thing while in base camp, but worse while on operation.
My Swiss national pal had one time his sister come for a visit in El-Kreider, it did not turn out well for her.
Every Escadron was located on some god forsaken farm or small village.
Even when I mention Khenchela, a fairly large town it was still at least an half hour to get there by truck/lorry.
Going to France or any other country for vacation was not an option, in fact while we were entitled to 20 days a year to a vacation in an rest camp, I got only 20 days in the whole five years beside the permissions de jour in a godforsaken village.
Most local Pied-Noirs girls/women where extremely reluctant to get involved with Legionnaires.
In the 1er REC there were only a few officers who had their wives stay for an extended time in the officers quarters.
It seems the way it is now, there is plenty of opportunity to connect with family or girlfriends while stationed in France.