a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion Matricule...

The Dude

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
...I can understand leaving to attempt to retrieve a lost livelihood or family; but I can also understand going back as a back-up plan...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
visit family, in my time you could not get holidays to go home. The only way was to leave the Legion and then go back. I do not remember for sure, but I think you had to return in only six months to keep your rank. Until rectification, which was after three years.

Bloakey

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Your matricule is unique and for life. Do not forget that once you are a legionnaire you are one for life. What other military organisation has a code of conduct for it's ex members.

"Légionnaire tu es, Légionnaire tu seras"

serge

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Tuvalu
Your matricule is unique and for life. Do not forget that once you are a legionnaire you are one for life. What other military organisation has a code of conduct for it's ex members.

"Légionnaire tu es, Légionnaire tu seras"

fook me, code of conduct for ex members?

Didn't know about that, best get myself back to Aubagne and march straight en taule!!!

Last edited:

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
fook me, code of conduct for ex members?

Didn't know about that, best get myself back to Aubagne and march straight en taule!!!

Yep it exists.....

1. Ancien de la Légion Etrangère, je suis fier d'avoir servi avec "Honneur et Fidélité"

2. Chaque ancien reste mon compagnon d'armes, quelles que soient sa nationalité, sa race, sa religion.

3. Je lui manifeste toujours l'étroite solidarité qui doit unir les membres d'une même famille.

4. Fidèle à mon passé à la Légion Etrangère, l'honnêteté et la loyauté sont les guides permanents de ma conduite.

5. Ma tenue et mon comportement sont exemplaires en restant modeste, je refuse la facilité et l'entraînement dans les abus de toutes sortes incompatibles avec la dignité humaine.

6. Je m'interdis d'impliquer la Légion Etrangère dans toute action politique.

7. Dans ma cité, je suis fier que mes relations disent de moi avec considération: c'est un "ANCIEN LEGIONNAIRE"

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
187-828 , yeah I still remember and may never forget!

It's something you can't forget...

That's why when you meet some one in a bar some where they say I was in the Legion and you say what was your mle. They answer can't remember or hummm it started with a letter etc...

The feckers....

Cpl K....

serge

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Tuvalu
Interesting to note that in the 6 years between 87 and 93 there was a turnover of 10000 in Legion manpower.

The Legion itself is approx 8000 strong so the turnover represents 120% of manpower.

On the grounds that a proportion elect to serve longer than the initial contract the turnover is probably greater than 120%

Acts as an illustration to those who wish to join that if they are lucky enough to be one of the 1 in 12 who are selected there is still a very great chance that they will not complete their initial contract.