a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Statistics

The Captain

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey guys I have an assignment in uni to write and perform an informative speech on something and I chose the Legion.

Part of the assignment is that you have to have a graph of something in your PowerPoint. Anyone know where I can look for something like desertion statistics during a period of time or Legionnaire casualties throughout history, or French army vs FFL budget--anything that could be graphed?

Thanks

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hey guys I have an assignment in uni to write and perform an informative speech on something and I chose the Legion.

Part of the assignment is that you have to have a graph of something in your PowerPoint. Anyone know where I can look for something like desertion statistics during a period of time or Legionnaire casualties throughout history, or French army vs FFL budget--anything that could be graphed?

Thanks

Why not have multiple graphs displaying the differences in pay between your nations army and the FFL, the FFLs retention rates and the ratio of enlisted to NCO compared to your nations army?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
source : Ouest France via Le Monde
The journal Le Monde reports, The Armée de terre declares 1544 deserteurs for the year 2017.
The Armée says this figure corresponds for procedeurs opened by the administration but finally, only 900 were registered.A stable level, assures the Armée.In reality, some return spontantly to their unit or produced a medical certificat
Statistiques supplied by the DPAM (direction des affaires pénale militaires)
2017 : 1544 declared absent and 893 proven dessertions compared to 889 in 2016 for 1213 cases reported
No mention of the Legion

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Reportage France 2
1 of the reasons why 10 percent of the annual recruitment desert is, Opération Sentinelle

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I cite : "boredom", was the reply of 1
Having done the Vigipirate twice, i can relate to that (1st day is okay but the rest of the time wasn't..glad when its over)

Vigipirate was the replaced by Sentinelle

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Reportage France 2
1 of the reasons why 10 percent of the annual recruitment desert is, Opération Sentinelle

I really don't think that is reason of dissertation (10 %) is Opération Sentinelle. Maybe is easier for legionnaires to specify, but don't believe is true. How much is salary during vigipirate?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I really don't think that is reason of dissertation (10 %) is Opération Sentinelle. Maybe is easier for legionnaires to specify, but don't believe is true. How much is salary during vigipirate?
I think they get €50 a day extra

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think they get €50 a day extra

Not bad. Walking trough town, watching girls, chat with some of them. Doing good for France and humanity overall .Why would I like to desert because of that?

Don't get it, are they all so much blood thirsty So they can't wait to kill "something"? That kind of mentality does not make good soldier.

Most of soldiers who were in some really serious battles (half of their friends died) usually is not so eager to go and do same process again. Its have nothing to do with courage-cowardness. Many of them don't care about their own eventually death, but watching half of your company dying is not pleasant filling for sure and takes some toll on man.

But that again, who I am to speak about those things? :(

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The équivalent as if they were out on the feild (prime / bonus)
I did say, 1 of the reasons given was Opération Sentinelle
The 10 pc and the 1800 average declared are official stats
No mention of the Legion but i think they are included in these stats

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Not bad. Walking trough town, watching girls, chat with some of them. Doing good for France and humanity overall .Why would I like to desert because of that?

Don't get it, are they all so much blood thirsty So they can't wait to kill "something"? That kind of mentality does not make good soldier.

Most of soldiers who were in some really serious battles (half of their friends died) usually is not so eager to go and do same process again. Its have nothing to do with courage-cowardness. Many of them don't care about their own eventually death, but watching half of your company dying is not pleasant filling for sure and takes some toll on man.

But that again, who I am to speak about those things? :(
Maybe some of them are over eager to get their awards, want to be hero to get legion d'honneur or croix de guerre, or spill their blood.

I'm a little confused too. You are getting paid money, meals, and bed to walk around and chat up girls in places people pay money to visit. And they desert over this?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Maybe some of them are over eager to get their awards, want to be hero to get legion d'honneur or croix de guerre, or spill their blood.

I'm a little confused too. You are getting paid money, meals, and bed to walk around and chat up girls in places people pay money to visit. And they desert over this?
I am fortunate or unfortunate never to have done vigi or sentinelle, but I do know that it's not the same as if you were a tourist. You are not taking selfies of yourself with the Eiffel tower in the background. As for getting paid to chat up girls, I think you may have your wires crossed there. I kind of get the image of legionnaires leaning against lamp post their berets pushed to the back of their heads whilst the love struck tourist writes her telephone number on a piece of paper.
No.
You are doing a mundane but important job. Alright the legion d'honnneur are few and far between on sentinelle, but so are they during a conflict. I agree that some people (hopefully not like yourself) are happy to get a little extra money, meals and a bed for patrolling around a major city.

Let's not forget that patrolling around the Eiffel tower in summer during the late morning and afternoon is considered a good patrol. Patrolling around a train station during the winter at rush hour isn't.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
I am fortunate or unfortunate never to have done vigi or sentinelle, but I do know that it's not the same as if you were a tourist. You are not taking selfies of yourself with the Eiffel tower in the background. As for getting paid to chat up girls, I think you may have your wires crossed there. I kind of get the image of legionnaires leaning against lamp post their berets pushed to the back of their heads whilst the love struck tourist writes her telephone number on a piece of paper.
No.
You are doing a mundane but important job. Alright the legion d'honnneur are few and far between on sentinelle, but so are they during a conflict. I agree that some people (hopefully not like yourself) are happy to get a little extra money, meals and a bed for patrolling around a major city.

Let's not forget that patrolling around the Eiffel tower in summer during the late morning and afternoon is considered a good patrol. Patrolling around a train station during the winter at rush hour isn't.
Perhaps I was being too positive on it. But perhaps some legionnaires prefer to drive near IEDs and get potshots taken at them by some prick with a rifle, maybe they prefer sitting around in malaria season in tropical heat, and they get bitter and desert when they're delegated to patrolling a French city.

Yeah it must be a mundane job, walking around day to night in all weather, maybe have to shoo off troublemakers. Lucky for those that get to patron the tourist spots, but it would drive many men mad to patrol worse locations.

Personally, I expect as little as possible from the Legion. This way, I don't walk in and feel entitled. Anything I do get is by effort and bonus. You sign to serve 5 years, being paid fed and bed for those 5 years. There's no terms saying you'll get more.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

Vigi, is a boring monotonous job just walking around and being a presence. 99.9% of soldiers are just patrolling the whole time. Imagine being a glorified beat cop 12 hours a day 6 days a week.