a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite youtube video?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Dusa, thanks for sharing this. I watched it until 11:30 mins. Or until the moment the interviewer asked him how long he had spent and he answered a little over a year. Unless the legion has a different rule for Aussies, it's 5 (five) years or nothing. Including if you have a para jump accident like out NJ friend.:cool:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yes, me kinda knew what follows bit earlier than 11:30 ;) When I saw his arrogance, way he talks and what he said ... I told myself "this guy left after 6 months to max 2 years". And of course yes. He is one of those which go to legion just to be able to brag about back home. Those guys ruining chances for other westerners who maybe want to serve for real.

Maybe you should watch whole video. He gave good ,honest explanation why so many westerners desert (Actually Australia is east as you get, (nope Joe's island is even more east), but we know what I mean). OK , he talked for himself but that can be applied for many guys.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Dusa, I watched the rest of it this afternoon. I was quite intrigued when he was telling us why legionnaires do not suffer from PTSD. They have (so he tells us) posters of civilian children being blown apart, and they are made to watch live footage of armies massacring each other. I mean where do these people come from.

No, sorry lads. he's just another bullsh*tter who could not hack it. He kind of reminded me of the Viking. Except that the viking is Canadian, they were both superheros, real Marvel comic stuff, they both now have beards and wear baseball caps and they didn't honor their contract.

To be quite honest, in a way they have more guts than me. if I couldn't hack it, there is no way I'd go on you tube or a radio show and tell all the world. No, I'd probably find a small country, like Thailand and keep my mouth shut.;)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Dusa, I watched the rest of it this afternoon. I was quite intrigued when he was telling us why legionnaires do not suffer from PTSD. They have (so he tells us) posters of civilian children being blown apart, and they are made to watch live footage of armies massacring each other. I mean where do these people come from.
They coming from Australia, Canada, India and last, but not least Belgium. :) Viking also came to my mind Joe.

Guy don't know what is talking about. He thinks that PTSD come from seeing dead, massacred bodies. By that theory we should have a lot of surgeons and nurses walking around with PTSD.
PTSD manly coming from constant fear for your life. Some guys simple can't handle the pressure. There is also a lot of BS-ers who just want to get some extra cash for their service. Is much easier to fake PTSD than lost leg.
Anyway watching pictures of dead people can't work as preventive against PTSD, but this Aussie Viking is right when he says that FFL training work well as preventive. There is also structure of men coming there and overall legion culture.

I was telling that he was right with part where he questioning himself why is he there for 1000€ when he can easily earn 3 times that back home. I know that many guys don't like when someone point on that fact but money is big factor. Maybe not for every one of guys but for many of them. I mean c'mon, how many of you can say that doesn't care about any material thing at all? Of course there's other things and money shouldn't be primary reason for joining, but everyone like bit more cash in pocket.

And yes Joke, I would join, go to work in kitchen and pumping up my muscles everyday. ;)
I'm kidding Joe my wish would be 3REI, 2REP , 13 DBLE (or still called that way?) and little bit museum work at end of career. Of course some combat night jumps in mean time. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was telling that he was right with part where he questioning himself why is he there for 1000€ when he can easily earn 3 times that back home. I know that many guys don't like when someone point on that fact but money is big factor. Maybe not for every one of guys but for many of them. I mean c'mon, how many of you can say that doesn't care about any material thing at all? Of course there's other things and money shouldn't be primary reason for joining, but everyone like bit more cash in pocket.
Quite right on the money side, it's there so take it. Until VGE (an ex-president) the legion used to pay itself out of their budget :eek: au secours which meant that in those days you were joining for adventure, love sick, or on the run.

The legion has changed and so have those wanting to join. Now that there is multimedia, everyone wants to be a part of the myth. And why not ?:whistle:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
As Sexpert says we love you Joe"no homo". And I like homo jokes. So ... :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

No, sorry lads. he's just another bullsh*tter who could not hack it. He kind of reminded me of the Viking. Except that the viking is Canadian, they were both superheros, real Marvel comic stuff, they both now have beards and wear baseball caps and they didn't honor their contract.

To be quite honest, in a way they have more guts than me. if I couldn't hack it, there is no way I'd go on you tube or a radio show and tell all the world. No, I'd probably find a small country, like Thailand and keep my mouth shut.;)
I forgot to state that your buddy mentioned (a little casually in my opinion) that he might give the SAS a go. I felt like screaming at him - but I didn't- you good for nothing f*ck do you think that the SAS would even consider a loser like you?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I forgot to state that your buddy mentioned (a little casually in my opinion) that he might give the SAS a go. I felt like screaming at him - but I didn't- you good for nothing f*ck do you think that the SAS would even consider a loser like you?
Hi is not my buddy Joe. Neither I posted video because I it's have some significant value. Still I think it's worth of hearing (along with other youtube "legionnaires") if not for other than to learn what not to become.
Smart guy would know to distinguish BS from good thing. Unfortunately when I read how many guys admire ultimate guide Ryan in comments (changed his name BTW ,now is "FFL EASY PASSING TIPS Ansari":)) Im bit suspicious in young guys abilities for recognizing BS