a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello. I am 34 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
If you are thinking about quitting where you are, you will quit in Aubagne.
It sounds harsh but I maybe just saved you time and money.
I'm not thinkimg about quitting. Just having negative thoughts and doubts. Besides everyone thinks like that sometimes. Some more, some less. Not because of a period of doubting you're going to discard everything. So stop making this Drill Sergeant act and telling me negative bs. If I join I join if not well life keeps being hard and difficult, maybe even more for those who don't join. So I don't need to read your opinions man, you just trying to squash the weaker links with your Drill Sergeant act, I understand. I was born 35 years ago and been through a lot of crap. Well bye.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I'm not thinkimg about quitting. Just having negative thoughts and doubts. Besides everyone thinks like that sometimes. Some more, some less. Not because of a period of doubting you're going to discard everything. So stop making this Drill Sergeant act and telling me negative bs. If I join I join if not well life keeps being hard and difficult, maybe even more for those who don't join. So I don't need to read your opinions man, you just trying to squash the weaker links with your Drill Sergeant act, I understand. I was born 35 years ago and been through a lot of crap. Well bye.

I was going to type a retort but life is too short and I am currently enjoying a bottle of whisky whilst planning my next hike.
Til Valhalla.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Take it easy Julian. When you ask a question on an open thread you will get various answers, some you will agree with and you will find motivation in them and well, some will be what you do not want to hear.
Now down to the basics, when are you thinking of going?
Have you stopped doing Stoeng's physical training which, let's be honest, is better designed for a young 20 year old. All the running with weights and boots is not going to get you through the front door.
Once you are in, you will progressively be worked up to running 8 Ks with a backpack, rifle and helmet in combat fatigues in less than 1 hour.
You are NOT going to join the DINOPS or the GCP and you do not have the same possibilities to get into shape as you did at 20. What I mean by that is that 15 years ago you may have been in less good condition than you are today. But there is no way that at 35 you will transform yourself into an athlete. Which is why there are age limits on certain branches of the military.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
I was going to type a retort but life is too short and I am currently enjoying a bottle of whisky whilst planning my next hike.
Til Valhalla.
Lol my house is full of bottles of whisky and fine liquor since I can recall, mostly gifts, we still give them away cuz we don't drink and personally I loath whisky. Well I like hiking too or travel to the end of the South American continent to do whale watching. Cheers

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Pablo don't take comments here too seriously. This is not place to ask support for joining. One wrong word and you will be slammed down how you shouldn't even try. After a lot of slamming down I eventually got support of many people here (hope so, maybe I just bored everyone so they wanted to get rid of me :)), but that wasn't enough for me (got some medical issues).
Taking this place seriously could really confuse someone willing to join. Yeah, it's great source of info (not all is good, most is), but not ask for any cheering (especially if you are not part of Anglo-media :)).

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Pablo don't take comments here too seriously. This is not place to ask support for joining. One wrong word and you will be slammed down how you shouldn't even try. After a lot of slamming down I eventually got support of many people here (hope so, maybe I just bored everyone so they wanted to get rid of me :)), but that wasn't enough for me (got some medical issues).
Taking this place seriously could really confuse someone willing to join. Yeah, it's great source of info (not all is good, most is), but not ask for any cheering (especially if you are not part of Anglo-media :)).
Thank you. Yes I was realizing that. I'll try to focus more in myself and having a better life no matter if I join or not.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Mistake up there. Its Anglo mafia not Anglo media ! :)

Joe, dislike? Way not. It would be stupid if we agree with everything. Should I believe in everything I heard here? Yeah, nah ! (only Kiwi would get this :)). Liked or not Joe, but there is some truths I'm saying up there.

If guy come here and say that he run and do push ups, pull ups and all shit on competition level. Many of them also said that their childhood dream was to join FFL. (hmm really? how many of greens here planned to be legionaries?) Also many of them said that they did all most all martial arts in the past... That kind of attitude would get you all support over here (especially if they are citizens of Commonwealth :)), but if everyone try to be honest ... boy his F-ed.

Sweet as,....... Joe? :D

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Take it easy Julian. When you ask a question on an open thread you will get various answers, some you will agree with and you will find motivation in them and well, some will be what you do not want to hear.
Now down to the basics, when are you thinking of going?
Have you stopped doing Stoeng's physical training which, let's be honest, is better designed for a young 20 year old. All the running with weights and boots is not going to get you through the front door.
Once you are in, you will progressively be worked up to running 8 Ks with a backpack, rifle and helmet in combat fatigues in less than 1 hour.
You are NOT going to join the DINOPS or the GCP and you do not have the same possibilities to get into shape as you did at 20. What I mean by that is that 15 years ago you may have been in less good condition than you are today. But there is no way that at 35 you will transform yourself into an athlete. Which is why there are age limits on certain branches of the military.
Maybe I won't buth is also a reality that there are professional athletes well in their 40's in basketball, athletism and even soccer, so I want to think about that instead of my disadvantages, life is way too shitty to be thinking negative stuff in top of all. I'll be thinking of getting my Visa and buying a ticket once I can do 10 perfect pull-ups and finish Stoeng's program since I only couldn't do the last month and is a challenge to me, now even more after reading so much things about me not being capable, I hope that will be sometime before I hit 39 years of age and feeling that I trained reaching the highest level of my capacity. Thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Maybe I won't buth is also a reality that there are professional athletes well in their 40's in basketball, athletism and even soccer, so I want to think about that instead of my disadvantages, life is way too shitty to be thinking negative stuff in top of all. I'll be thinking of getting my Visa and buying a ticket once I can do 10 perfect pull-ups and finish Stoeng's program since I only couldn't do the last month and is a challenge to me, now even more after reading so much things about me not being capable, I hope that will be sometime before I hit 39 years of age and feeling that I trained reaching the highest level of my capacity. Thank you for your advice.
Mate Listen the Légion is not the be all End all. Not super men or anything. Learn Personal trainer or something enjoy the chicks 😋

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Mistake up there. Its Anglo mafia not Anglo media ! :)

Joe, dislike? Way not. It would be stupid if we agree with everything. Should I believe in everything I heard here? Yeah, nah ! (only Kiwi would get this :)). Liked or not Joe, but there is some truths I'm saying up there.

If guy come here and say that he run and do push ups, pull ups and all shit on competition level. Many of them also said that their childhood dream was to join FFL. (hmm really? how many of greens here planned to be legionaries?) Also many of them said that they did all most all martial arts in the past... That kind of attitude would get you all support over here (especially if they are citizens of Commonwealth :)), but if everyone try to be honest ... boy his F-ed.

Sweet as,....... Joe? :D
I hear you brother. I always liked the military, and had the most nice memories of my 1 year in the military service and then at age 17 I thought it would be great to be a part of the Legion. My past is that I had great hopes in being a succesful professional but then my life and family hit rock bottom, I got into alcohol and pills, then I got 126 kg obese, I failed in my career and in other endevours but thank Christ me and my family could get better, now I'm crawling up from the gutter. I don't know if I join the FFL but goddamn it feels great even to be able to tie my shoes again without a struggle. Discipline Equals Freedom !!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
You are enjoying civilian life, you say. In Bolivia?
Yeah enjoying being close to my family and being able t
Mate Listen the Légion is not the be all End all. Not super men or anything. Learn Personal trainer or something enjoy the chicks 😋
I hear you man, I know, that's why I'm enjoying the ride not the destination. All destinations in this life get lousy after a while, so yeah I'm enjoying what I have while it lasts. Thanks.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah man besides all the bad things going on in my country I have a decent place to live and enjoy being close to my relatives. I want to enjoy that while I can.
How much is a gram of coke in your country? Here we have to pay 50-80€! I'm not really into that (have no money :)) but I'm Pretty sure that we here gate pretty low grade cocaine for that price.
It's probably funny to someone from Bolivia? :)

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Lol I don't know man. We sell it don't buy it. You don't see people consuming a lot here not even crack, I heard the worst was in the 80's, they say that in the little jungle towns where coke was made, people used to sell it on the streets and on the highway on large tables like if it were a spice market, but again mostly for being smuggled to USA or Europe, not much to consumers You don't see that anymore, only when the army or police seize a shipment or something.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Julian welcome to the forum. However don't attempt to join the Foreign Legion unless it is a case of last resort.

Soldiering is a young man's game. Simply enjoy your home country.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Julian welcome to the forum. However don't attempt to join the Foreign Legion unless it is a case of last resort.

Soldiering is a young man's game. Simply enjoy your home country.
Well then please write this to the French Army Commander so he can change the age limit to enter the FFL to 20 years old. Thanx

Last edited:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Why do so many people want to join the legion?? Done that, nothing special, just a bunch of nitwits bossing you about, shouting at you in some silly language, making you jump around. Nah, better stay at home, is my advice. I was there.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bolivia
Why do so many people want to join the legion?? Done that, nothing special, just a bunch of nitwits bossing you about, shouting at you in some silly language, making you jump around. Nah, better stay at home, is my advice. I was there.
Better than wasting your time. I enjoyed my time in the military no matter the nitwits and jumping around. Also lived alone abroad for years, tough, but life's a bitch everywhere, anytime. Cheers

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Better than wasting your time. I enjoyed my time in the military no matter the nitwits and jumping around. Also lived alone abroad for years, tough, but life's a bitch everywhere, anytime. Cheers
Cheers, nice to meet you, donde est cochabamba.

Status
Not open for further replies.