a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Until you can join the forum - Questions !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If we take the Legion as a whole that is to say all the men and officers, it would appear that every man who passes through to legionnaire is “A Legionnaire” who can be moved around according to skill sets aptitude ability etc. So. “A Legionnaire“ after basic training could be shipped off to do a medics course and then be bounced around for a few years between regiments. He then volunteers to do a sniper, diver, demolition, driving course and will be moved to where he is needed on completion. this is similar to the American model where they move the man and not the men from location to location until deployment into active service.
Hi Steve, there is no comparison between the Brit army corps (I was ACC) and the legion.
For example, there is no way that a legionnaire will be sent on his medics course after basic training. Even if he he was a doctor in Civvy street, he will first be sent to his regiment. On arriving at his regiment he will be affected to a company or start his section de perfectionnement or whatever it is that it's called. Once he is in his company he will then do the company's speciality. I can only talk about the REP now, although I'm sure it's the same principle for the other regiments. For example, if you were sent to the 3rd company, you would, after doing your Promo (jump training) on arrival, be sent on the swimmer/motorists course. The 4th company would be the sniper or destructors course. Everyone in the legion is trained from an early stage to HGV3 level (truck driver).
Each regiment is self contained. They will have their own medics, their own cooks, their own radio operators. All these are regimental, company and section level, except for the cooks. Snipers, demolition, are all section level, with the exception of sniper which is is group level.
Group is ten men, one of which is a sniper. 3 or 4 groups + a small group make up a section. 4 section+ a commandement section make up a company.
In each section there will be at least one medic, one radio operator. A legionnaire can stay in one company for the whole of his career and be qualified as driver, medic, sniper, and radio operator. He can also be a qualified mechanic, even lifeguard.
When a company deploys overseas, they have all the personnel that they need. Whenever a company course comes up, it is common that other companies send their own men on the course. I was MILAN when I first went to the REP, there were cpls and legs from every company on my course.

In a nut shell, the legion companies are autonom with many having qualifications which are not necessarily connected with the company, such a lumberjack, bulldozer operator and I could go on forever. Not to mention those who come in with their civvy trades, such as builders, electricians.
I could give you a few examples of where these trades have come in handy, especially in Africa, where one of the things that you are put to do is to build schools and dispensaries.
When the French government make gifts of building machines the locals have to be taught how to use them.
Pretty vague, but I hope that I got my point across.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Got this from A Scribbler:

Hi Joseph I did chuckle at your correction, the rumour is that the Army Catering Corps Wounded more soldiers than German bullets did in WW2.

Tommy Atkins on stag at the barrack gates doing early guard, he hears footsteps in the dark un slings his rifle brings it to the high port and shouts in a smart loud and soldierly voice. “Halt who goes there, Friend or foe?” As per his soldiers manual (we love a bit of formality)

“Duty Cook for breakfast. ” Comes the reply.

“Pass Foe.”

The old and bold would understand...

Regards Steve

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
And this from Y E I

Hello Sir!

As a Turk, I am thinking of joining the legion and I am researching. I have subscribed to your forum for this, but my subscription is not approved yet. I would appreciate it if you approve my membership, have a nice day.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Y E I,

No need to call me Sir, Joe or Joseph is fine. It is not my Forum. We are aware of the problems and are trying to contact the Boss, who is the owner of the forum. Until then, I can only suggest that you use the search function at the top right of the page and if you have any particular question then use the same address that you used to send the mail. I check it once a day and post it on the forum.
Unfortunately the forum is extremely quiet at the moment and answers for the most basic questions are few, if not nonexistent.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
What happens if the Boss dosen't reappear?
Who will pay the rent (for the forum and the maintenance?)
Rapace has gone AWOL
If no one can join the forum... there will be nobuddy left apart from several others (and most of them are on my ignore list)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What to say? If the Boss does not reappear, it looks as though the forum will die out. I haven't got the money to pay for the rent, even though I know of a couple of people who have contacted me saying that they would like to make a donation.
As for Rapace he's got some issues to sort out at the moment.
I would like to point out where the people can contact the server (organization?) and maybe if we flooded them with queries they may at least put some light on the forum's future, but judging by enthusiasm of the members, there doesn't seen much point.
If no one can join the forum
I think that people can join the forum now, or maybe it's that a few have gotten through the cracks, it's just that they can't post or participate.
Fuck it, I'll show people where they can contact the web organization and maybe they (the members & the organization) may get their fingers out.

contact Us.jpg

1606007776955.png

It's at the bottom of the page. DO NOT complain to me if you cannot post, without first having contacted the 'webmaster'. Actually the Webmaster is the Boss, I just don't know what to call the people who run the website.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What to say? If the Boss does not reappear, it looks as though the forum will die out. I haven't got the money to pay for the rent, even though I know of a couple of people who have contacted me saying that they would like to make a donation.
I would like to point out where the people can contact the server (organization?) and maybe if we flooded them with queries they may at least put some light on the forum's future, but judging by enthusiasm of the members, there doesn't seen much point.

I think that people can join the forum now, or maybe it's that a few have gotten through the cracks, it's just that they can't post or participate.
Fuck it, I'll show people where they can contact the web organization and maybe they (the members & the organization) may get their fingers out.

View attachment 6552

View attachment 6553

It's at the bottom of the page. DO NOT complain to me if you cannot post, without first having contacted the 'webmaster'. Actually the Webmaster is the Boss, I just don't know what to call the people who run the website.
Jeo, this already looks like won't help much. I don't have "Contact us" button. :)

Big problem with this forum is that rule you have to wait one month after joining so you can to write (At least it was that when I joined.). It's good tactic to repel trolls and same guys making multiple accounts, but it would be also repel many new members. Especially in today's world when we are accustomed on getting things instantly one month is very long time. If you plus have to wait Boss's approval wich never coming yeah...Looks like someone deliberately killing the forum

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

View attachment 6552

View attachment 6553

Some of us can help Joseph. I can certainly chip in and help financially. So can others.. but the powers that be need to let us know what they intend to do now and in the future as regards this forum. I’m not going to back a dead horse! You have done your best. If things don’t work out we can keep in touch between Twitter and YouTube😉cheers mate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Jeo, this already looks like won't help much. I don't have "Contact us" button. :)

Big problem with this forum is that rule you have to wait one month after joining so you can to write (At least it was that when I joined.). It's good tactic to repel trolls and same guys making multiple accounts, but it would be also repel many new members. Especially in today's world when we are accustomed on getting things instantly one month is very long time. If you plus have to wait Boss's approval wich never coming yeah...Looks like someone deliberately killing the forum
That has changed since then Dusa. The Boss gave the Mods the authority to accept or reject those who are applying. Which is why when some applies they receive the notice 'you have to wait for the Mods to decide if you can join,' or something along those lines. It's frustrating to say the least.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well it looks as though there is no longer need of this thread as the Boss has gotten the problem sorted out.
So I'll close it :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.