a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100th anniversary of the Legion motto

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
On 14th of October, the Legion celebrated the 100th anniversary of its motto Honneur et Fidélité. Interesting to note it’s more recent than the Legion itself. There was a ceremony held at Aubagne.
Below a link to the video posted on the Legion Facebook page.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I like the old motto more, Valeur et Discipline.
As far as I know, Valeur et Discipline wasn’t a Legion motto. It’s actually the motto of the Valeur Militaire decoration (image below)
60C5F499-E9FA-4363-842D-8369E1B91AA3.png

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Sorry guys but I've been busy working on my own traditions.

"Honor and Fidelity":

Originally, the motto worn on the flags of the Foreign Legion was the same as that of the General Regiment's emblems "Honor and Country (patrie)".
From 1840, it was replaced by "Valeur et Discipline".
It was by decree of November 20, 1920 that it was decided to have the motto "Honneur et Fidélité" displayed on the emblems of the Foreign Legion. This was the motto of the Swiss regiment of Diesbach, which had served the old French Empire from 1639 to 1792. This decision was intended to perpetuate the tradition of foreign troops in the service of France.
This motto is proof, if any were needed, that the legionnaire's original identity is respected for the duration of his contract. It is for this reason that the Foreign Legion presents itself to the foreigner as a "second homeland", and that it demands from him a complete loyalty to his adopted homeland.

Did I add this to show off :unsure:, not really, it was to give a plug to my new video which I hope to bring out at the the end of the day or by tomorrow afternoon latest. I'd have had it out today, but Erika, bless her, found me a pair of running shows, two for the price of one. So I had to go and try them on first.
So if anyone is interested in some of the legion traditions (boy do I wish that I'd paid more attention when I was working in the museum ;):cool:) keep you eye on my channel. I will be making it "public" which is to say I'll let everyone know on here and facebook on the 23rd.
I'm calling it :
legionnaire One in Eight
Which is the ratio of acceptance to get in to the legion.

1634608806299.png
Although not quite on topic, I thought that I might add it anyway,