a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1930 photos of Algeria

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The wild cat chained behind bars, is a Serval ?
Operation Serval was before Barkhane
A Serval is a north africain big lynx
(best way i can describe it)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Nice Photos Volt-Joe. I saw one of the entrance to a city/fort. Which brought back to me a biblical saying : it is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than is camel to pass through the eye of a needle. I mean WTF ! However I already know the answer:geek:

Basically in the olden days and nowadays, the eye of a needle is the main entrance to a fortified town - in the shape of a needle's eye. In order to control the influx of people going to the market, all camels (and, nowadays mopeds) were not allowed to go through it but had to pass through a doorway on the side of the city
images
Eye of a needle.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Today Pdt. Macron admits the use of torture during the Algerian war
Also, admits the responsabilty of the France in thé disappearing of Maurice Audin, married and father of 3 children.A communist militant and anti colonialist.
Arrested by the General Masu's (nez cassez)staff .Tortured and never seen again
Records concerning that period are to be de classifié
There is talk of reparition (pay the victims of the Algerian war,by the french, a compensation

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Today Pdt. Macron admits the use of torture during the Algerian war
Also, admits the responsabilty of the France in thé disappearing of Maurice Audin, married and father of 3 children.A communist militant and anti colonialist.
Arrested by the General Masu's (nez cassez)staff .Tortured and never seen again
Records concerning that period are to be de classifié
There is talk of reparition (pay the victims of the Algerian war,by the french, a compensation

So Algerians didn't tortured anyone? Give me a break! If someone ask me, France need to go down and recolonize them again! This way they colonizing France :(.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So Algerians didn't tortured anyone? Give me a break! If someone ask me, France need to go down and recolonize them again! This way they colonizing France :(.
Torture committed by the FNL defies description. Usually it becomes a vicious circle, but with the exception that the FNL tortured the civilian people as well. Pied Noirs and Algerians alike, including children.

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Torture committed by the FNL defies description. Usually it becomes a vicious circle, but with the exception that the FNL tortured the civilian people as well. Pied Noirs and Algerians alike, including children.
A little something that i read somewhere
"The alacrity with which ALN(armed wing of the FLN) operatives sliced off the noses and upper lips of Arab "collaborators " and even wiped out whole families, both moslem and pied noir down to babes in arms often after mutilating their victims in the most grisly and obscene ways, sent shudders of horror and rage through all who witnessed such spectacles."

A legionnaire(Janos Kemencei) witnesses a massacre and recounts
"Women and men were shouting their heads off-yes, shouting, overwhelmed with an indescribable hopelessness..... A baby and a very young girl were impaled in the vines, on metal spikes on the side of the road. Dead. Their parents, deranged with grief, cried out their distress. A little further on, i saw other small bloody silhouettes lying on stretchers. Nearly 80 children, men and women, without defense, had been massacred, torn limb from limb in this little village, by arabs who until then had lived on good terms with their victims. After that, i understood the furor of some soldiers, who administered their own justice by liquidating without mercy these assassins, sending - but cleanly-into another world"

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
This kind of tactics were to be repeated in the 1990's...with the G.I.A. (groupe islamique armée)
See.: hijacked plane, Marseille
Did this give inspiration for 9/11?

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
"The alacrity with which ALN(armed wing of the FLN) operatives sliced off the noses and upper lips of Arab "collaborators " and even wiped out whole families, both moslem and pied noir down to babes in arms often after mutilating their victims in the most grisly and obscene ways, sent shudders of horror and rage through all who witnessed such spectacles."

"Women and men were shouting their heads off-yes, shouting, overwhelmed with an indescribable hopelessness..... A baby and a very young girl were impaled in the vines, on metal spikes on the side of the road. Dead. Their parents, deranged with grief, cried out their distress. A little further on, i saw other small bloody silhouettes lying on stretchers. Nearly 80 children, men and women, without defense, had been massacred, torn limb from limb in this little village, by arabs who until then had lived on good terms with their victims. After that, i understood the furor of some soldiers, who administered their own justice by liquidating without mercy these assassins, sending - but cleanly-into another world"
You put it well! too many times i have seen the bodies of butchered women and children! all over Africa and other places. Not only slaughtered but desecrated as well! We had no mercy for those who did this. And I make no apologies for hunting those scum down! Those who say war is glorious? Bollocks! Innocent civilians are always the ones to suffer. and the soldiers? We have to live with it for the rest of our lives.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Bad thing is that politicians and warlords often using that tactics to motivate soldiers for killing or even doing same or worst monstrosity especially if someone from their group or family was a victim. The how that "vicious circle" mentioned by Voltigeur come to be.

Worst thing is that in many cases responsible are not punished, but instead people who maybe didn't have a thing with torture or killing of anyone just happen to belong to same army, ethnicity or religion as perpetrators of those war crimes.

That's really, really bad things and need to be controlled as much as we (human kind) can. That's why iron discipline especially in time of war is necessary. Emotion should be involved in warriors. And if there is some, need to be controlled and obtained. If someone can't control that he should immediately removed from battlefield and transported to position where he can't heart anyone.

We done everything wrong in Ex-Yu wars. Negative emotion was pumped up into heads of and whole nation(s) especially for soldiers on front. The would see burned houses (whole villages), religious objects and mutilated bodies. Then they would told that that is done by some of enemies (depending what was in favor of current situation).
They wouldn't tell that is done by specific unit, or under command of that man, or by those men with name. No! that would told that is done by Croats, Serbs or Muslims so you should do same to any member of that ethnicity so that lead to more killings in really sickening ways etc. etc. Again vicious circle .

Usually that kind of things are done by small number so called "soldiers" capable for that shit. Of course their superiors or even more responsibly. And ,unfortunately those who are guilty the most rarely get appropriate punishment. For God's sake some of them are even made into nacional heroes!

We as humanity can do better than that. I don't think that we are capable to eliminate wars, but we can prevent this kind of worst imaginal things to happen over and over.

It's hard subject, but need to be heard.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

He was stating the truth.