a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 weeks till I ship out

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings and salutations,
You all can call me Buffalo Bill Cody, I am a 33 year old wannabe from America. I was locked up for 7 years for a burglary, I finally got off parole in June. As I am a felon I can not join our military which was my intention before I broke the law. I decided that I would try out when I was still locked up back in 2011. I believe that I am physically fit enough at this point, as I have been training all forms of physical fitness for the past 12 years of my life. I could give metrics for all of my lifts or calisthenics if anyone was interested.
My reasons for wanting to join are pretty wide. First off would be is that I have been dreaming of being in the military since I was a very young man. I found when I was in prison, that I thrive in structured environments. There are not to many more structured institutions than the Legion. And finally but probably the most important reason is that in my country felons are treated as 3rd class citizens. There is NO sympathy for men that supposedly served their time for the crimes they committed. You can not get a halfway decent job, you will never get a lease for a place to live, a loan, and you are going to have your "rights" violated by every single police officer you come across. Even though our very own Bill of Rights says that when you finish your time you are to be returned a full citizen. So I have very little love for my home land and am willing to put my life on the line for any country that will give me the chance to redeem myself and be a full citizen.
Also I understand completely that the world has a love hate relationship with America. I know that being from America is not really something that a lot of people look for in a recruit, being that we have it so easy here . Are there any current legionnaire's that have an idea as of what percentage of Americans that ARE physically fit enough to pass, that actually get selected?
That about sums up any major questions I have, I am sure I will have a few other minor questions. As for now that will do .
Thank you gentlemen for your time and any info you can provide.
Cheers,
B.B. Cody.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Howdy, Big Bull,welcome to US
It might be our pleasure, who knows ?
Have plenty of questions to ask. ..but i hesitate
Ex jail bird?. ..Yo Black ?
How long you served in jail and maybe if you want to tell us, why?
No beef for me what so ever, ok?
Dude spent time in federal, or country jail, is or has not the same meaning
Legion dosen't accept just any buddy
Only those who have a solid story to relate (tell)
Wtf ? A dude who has done his bird (fed or county) seeks to know how and maybe why, other Yanquees are serving. ..am curious as to why ?
Life is a hasard
If you enlist = good luck
Each dude you recontre during,,,,
do not judge him by his twisted up right and better than any (only the predenter does)...and yo ain't like that, n'est pas ?
What ever
Only, guts, blood and balls will make your case. ..Yo, hear me all?
Lie to me and i will dump you, like a turd
Be honest with me and i will help you to serve
Isn't this way of straight talk a newbee to you ?
Try your best and get used to it
Becomes a habit after a while

Le petit caporal

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would say from experience of having done jail prior your distance to travel and cost to get to France that the motivation for a new life and a fresh start is quite evident, if your as fit as you say and in good health and you can afford the flight just go for it.
As for numbers of serving or refused American candidates I can’t help you been out to long but I served with a couple of good Americans in the early 80s but the Legion was a different place then Good Luck my adivise as Nike would say Just do it !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
BuffaloBillCody,,

Welcome to the forum. Put the past behind you. Go for it and give it your best shot. Show keenness, don't get into disputes and obey all orders however mundane with alacrity.

This can be a life changing experience with a new future.

Chas former Green Beret. 99% need not apply.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum BuffaloBillCody, and thanks for allowing us to call you that:). When are you thinking of going? As Papillon says, if you can afford it then go for it. Age isn't on your side, even though there will be others in that same age group, you will have to be in the top 5 during the fitness tests.
The legion is the ideal place to start a new life, but first of all you have to get in.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Howdy, Big Bull,welcome to US
It might be our pleasure, who knows ?
Have plenty of questions to ask. ..but i hesitate
Ex jail bird?. ..Yo Black ?
How long you served in jail and maybe if you want to tell us, why?
No beef for me what so ever, ok?
Dude spent time in federal, or country jail, is or has not the same meaning
Legion dosen't accept just any buddy
Only those who have a solid story to relate (tell)
Wtf ? A dude who has done his bird (fed or county) seeks to know how and maybe why, other Yanquees are serving. ..am curious as to why ?
Life is a hasard
If you enlist = good luck
Each dude you recontre during,,,,
do not judge him by his twisted up right and better than any (only the predenter does)...and yo ain't like that, n'est pas ?
What ever
Only, guts, blood and balls will make your case. ..Yo, hear me all?
Lie to me and i will dump you, like a turd
Be honest with me and i will help you to serve
Isn't this way of straight talk a newbee to you ?
Try your best and get used to it
Becomes a habit after a while

Le petit caporal

Hello Mon Corporal ,
Thank you for your speedy response. I was in not federal prison but state prison both are basically the same when it comes to how your sentence is administered. I was locked up for 1st degree burglary for 7 years 9 months on a 12 year sentence. I was released early for good behavior. No I am not black, I am Irish American.
As far as judging another man for his past if he served his time then I give any man or woman the benefit of the doubt before I pass any judgment on to him or her. For I know the struggle of not being given any chance just because of one mistake. Thank you for the tip on being forthcoming on my criminal record.
Cheers
B.B. Cody

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome to the forum BuffaloBillCody, and thanks for allowing us to call you that:). When are you thinking of going? As Papillon says, if you can afford it then go for it. Age isn't on your side, even though there will be others in that same age group, you will have to be in the top 5 during the fitness tests.
The legion is the ideal place to start a new life, but first of all you have to get in.

Mr. Cosgrove,
Thank you for your response. I have my ticket to Paris on December 16th 2018. From everything I have read, the consensus is that i would have the best chance of getting in because of the time of year less people try to go. Hopefully this helps my chances 'cause I know that it will be more of a challenge due to the weather.
As far as being in the top 5 five, from your experience what type of fitness will I be coming up against. I can run 2 miles in 11 minutes 10 seconds, do 50 pull ups straight, 100 push ups, any number of sit ups requested of me. Do you think that these numbers will be sufficient to get myself into the top 5 five?
Thank again,
B.B. Cody.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Mr. Cosgrove,
Thank you for your response. I have my ticket to Paris on December 16th 2018. From everything I have read, the consensus is that i would have the best chance of getting in because of the time of year less people try to go. Hopefully this helps my chances 'cause I know that it will be more of a challenge due to the weather.
As far as being in the top 5 five, from your experience what type of fitness will I be coming up against. I can run 2 miles in 11 minutes 10 seconds, do 50 pull ups straight, 100 push ups, any number of sit ups requested of me. Do you think that these numbers will be sufficient to get myself into the top 5 five?
Thank again,
B.B. Cody.
It definitely will if you are not lying.

Also 7 years for burglary ! Where did you burgled? Fort Knox?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi again Bill
Posted earlier on another thread, 'on this day',,,,was aimed for you, btw
There is an on going forum ,ministre d ' Armées, up till saturday
Once the forum ends. ..their conclusions will quickly be put to use
The actual président, Macron, always does what he promised during his election campagne
Cut backs and better public spending
Doing more with less, etc
The Armée gets a trimming and it started well before yesterday
Age is more your concern than your criminal record
Evry second will count
All the best, any way (have a plan B)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It definitely will if you are not lying.

Also 7 years for burglary ! Where did you burgled? Fort Knox?

No sir, where I live is a real conservative state and there are mandatory minimum sentencing. Which unfortunately for me meant open sentencing ranging from 12 to 24 years. I got the low end of the sentencing because it was my first time in trouble. I hate to say it but when you punish someone so severe the first time they mess up, it tends to teach a lesson not soon forgotten. I am not going back ever.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Let me guess
Massachusetts ?
I cut my stick from Scotland when i was 16. ..aint never going back
Have made my bunk
Never forget where you come from is part of your identity , as well as your name and accent
Let me guess : Michael, Patrick, Kévin or Sean ?
No beef to me Bill, Liam, William,Wullie or Billy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi again Bill
Posted earlier on another thread, 'on this day',,,,was aimed for you, btw
There is an on going forum ,ministre d ' Armées, up till saturday
Once the forum ends. ..their conclusions will quickly be put to use
The actual président, Macron, always does what he promised during his election campagne
Cut backs and better public spending
Doing more with less, etc
The Armée gets a trimming and it started well before yesterday
Age is more your concern than your criminal record
Evry second will count
All the best, any way (have a plan B)

Mon Corporal,

While I like the sound of a leader that does what he actually says, this is not great for me. I hope that 2 more weeks is not going to hurt my chances too much. I suppose that this will be even more of a driving factor for me to succeed. I have always excelled when under pressure. As far as plan B I have one it just involves being back in the U.S. which for me isn't much of a plan at all.
I am very grateful for this information as I have not even delved into french politics and budget cuts. Gives me another angle to consider.
Thank you,
B.B Cody

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Duggie for the intimes (Douglas is a scottish name, btw)
Remember this
When you arrive in Paris (more or less Xmas)
It will be cold wet and windy
I usually advice wannabes to travel light
Your case, i make the exception
Parka, long John's and thermals
Imagine, just for an instant. ..
You get told NO at the gate
Think about this

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Let me guess
Massachusetts ?
I cut my stick from Scotland when i was 16. ..aint never going back
Have made my bunk
Never forget where you come from is part of your identity , as well as your name and accent
Let me guess : Michael, Patrick, Kévin or Sean ?
No beef to me Bill, Liam, William,Wullie or Billy

Lol that is funny. No sir my name is Cody. close though.:)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Duggie for the intimes (Douglas is a scottish name, btw)
Remember this
When you arrive in Paris (more or less Xmas)
It will be cold wet and windy
I usually advice wannabes to travel light
Your case, i make the exception
Parka, long John's and thermals
Imagine, just for an instant. ..
You get told NO at the gate
Think about this
Perfect! that is very helpful. anything else that you could imagine them letting me in with i would be very grateful for a list. where are you located Mon Corporal?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Belive me, the Gestapo in Aubange are wiser than me
Say nowt in Paris about your jail stuff, ok
When and if you get to Aubange. ..your call
I can not advice on that (usually i say to others, stfu, but thats for petty crime tho. ..understand? Your case is. ..more délicat

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Le Caporal is shaking his thing in Nîmes (north of Marseile, a bit)
Home of the 2 REI, (Infantery) where i served

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Belive me, the Gestapo in Aubange are wiser than me
Say nowt in Paris about your jail stuff, ok
When and if you get to Aubange. ..your call
I can not advice on that (usually i say to others, stfu, but thats for petty crime tho. ..understand? Your case is. ..more délicat
Should I try to explain my case or down play it?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Lots of things that you will need once accepted at the gates. ..can be bought here in France
Flip flops, towel (light weight micro tissue kind, dig?
3 prs of socks
3 set of under pans (no boxer shorts)
Toilettries. .keep it simple and to a minimum (no need for after shave and deo)
A couple of small bottles of antiseptic soap (it's winter and the flu season is here)
Btw, avoid shaking hands, if you can
A decent pair of running shoes and sod the style. ..you must be more than comfortable in to pass the Luc Léger test
Other stuff i will update later