33 years old preparing for joining

I knew that National Service was looming. So I volunteered for arguably the toughest training in the armed forces. 17 years and 3 weeks old ! A callow youth !

I passed Parachute Regiment selection, for a commission, under the eagle eye of the then Captain Farrar Hockley. Adjt of the Glorious Glosters, POW Korea and subsequent Para Regt recruiter at Mons Officer Cadet School. (Farrar the para) He retired as a Lt. General. (Google). His book the Edge of the Sword is fantastic. (Korean War).

I obtained 4th and last vacancy for the Royal Marines.

RMV202910- Mne 20/06/1956. 2Lt.17/04/1959. Lt & Lt. RMV Resigned my permanent reserve commission 17/04/1967.

Colonial Police.

Queen's Regiment TA (Capt. Mainwaring). Senior British Regiment of the Line after the Foot Guards. An RM chummy regiment with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. One officer from each was attached to the Cdos annually if they could pass the commando course

I smelt the whiff of grape shot as have many serving with the above.

This is a test, I have install Tapatalk app on my phone, I want to see if the app will make my life easier, posting and reading this forum.

I made progress regarding my fitness level, I train only 4 days a week. I have better results after a day of rest.

Now my priority is to learn french language. This morning while making pancakes I saw a nice documentary on TV 5 Monde about french food. I have understand a lot and didn't feel the need to read the subtitles. When I run I listen to french learning YouTube lessons and audio books.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

SnafuSmite

This is a test, I have install Tapatalk app on my phone, I want to see if the app will make my life easier, posting and reading this forum.

I made progress regarding my fitness level, I train only 4 days a week. I have better results after a day of rest.

Now my priority is to learn french language. This morning while making pancakes I saw a nice documentary on TV 5 Monde about french food. I have understand a lot and didn't feel the need to read the subtitles. When I run I listen to french learning YouTube lessons and audio books.

Try using Duolingo as well. Pretty good app in conjunction with what your doing at the moment.

Try using Duolingo as well. Pretty good app in conjunction with what your doing at the moment.
Thank you, I have read Duolingo recommendations on the forum, I tried the app yesterday and I like it.

I subscribed to this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/learnfrenchwithalexa/ and I use https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter to save mp3's or mp4's with what interests me, copy them to my phone or Mp3 Player, but please, have an adblock plugin installed before you use this site.

I will take with me a pocket dictionary and a conversation guide.

Pancakes no less.

Try and get used to coffee, bread, butter and jam, that's what you'll be getting in Aubagne and Castel.
Regiment food is more than good for me. At the end of February I started to practice intermittent fasting, works for me, I lost over 20 kg. Now at a BMI of 26, I want to lose another 5-7 kg, which will help me with my fitness level.

Are days when I do exercise and I only eat apples, bananas and cold milk with instant coffee and no sugar. I always drink plenty of water.

In Aubagne I plan to not eat before the Leg Lugger test, only drink. Coffee, tea and tap water are fine. Also in the days when I will have to take the medical tests, before them, I will drink a lot of water and stay away from food and coffee. From the stories I read, I want to be save from more investigations, wrong piss colour, high blood pressure... I don't know to have problems, but you never know, being out of my comfort zone and with the stress of an unknown environment.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
In Aubagne I plan to not eat before the Leg Lugger test, only drink. Coffee, tea and tap water are fine. Also in the days when I will have to take the medical tests, before them, I will drink a lot of water and stay away from food and coffee. From the stories I read, I want to be save from more investigations, wrong piss colour, high blood pressure... I don't know to have problems, but you never know, being out of my comfort zone and with the stress of an unknown environment.
I think that you don't have to worry about that. Pretty sure that no one will take you on tests (especially medical) right after lunch.

It would be nice if you can to share with us pics from your friend in Aubagne

I think that you don't have to worry about that. Pretty sure that no one will take you on tests (especially medical) right after lunch.
When taking blood, it is recommended to wait for at least 4 hours to pass from the most recent meal, but with FFL you never know.

It would be nice if you can to share with us pics from your friend in Aubagne
I don't have a friend in Aubagne, and I will not post any pictures of my ex-legionnaire friend. I was tempted to post a crop picture from French Guyana with the pillar that has distance signs to Camerone, Paris and others places from around the world that relate to France and FFL.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
I don't have a friend in Aubagne, and I will not post any pictures of my ex-legionnaire friend. I was tempted to post a crop picture from French Guyana with the pillar that has distance signs to Camerone, Paris and others places from around the world that relate to France and FFL.
In '05 my friend came home for a few days, told me stories, he showed me photos from French Guiana that 'till this day I have in my PC, and for a second I had new thoughts about the FFL.
I taught on this pictures you mentioning here. You can "can spray" in paint faces. Or whatever. It's your pics, if you don't wont to post them publicly it's ok

You will have any blood tests that require that you haven't eaten before hand in the morning it and will be programmed in advance.
That seems normal to me.

I taught on this pictures you mentioning here. You can "can spray" in paint faces.
Here's a collage of some pictures: https://preview.ibb.co/dPmKDG/fsdfsdsd.jpg

The legion's flag is with the green side up when France is in peace time, and with the red side up during war time.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Here's a collage of some pictures: https://preview.ibb.co/dPmKDG/fsdfsdsd.jpg

The legion's flag is with the green side up when France is in peace time, and with the red side up during war time.
Unfortunately that is an old legion myth. Part of the myth says that in time of war the red is on top and the green below because 'le sang coule sur le pré The blood (red) flows onto the field (green)'.
I asked the museum curator if this was true, he said no.

I got my “Inapte définitif” discharge with the standard comment “Son profil ne correspond pas aux besoins de la Légion étrangère”. It was to be expected, I will not go into the details for now.

I plan to write some post about my experience, when I have the time, I will also answer questions about the selection process at Aubagne. Recommendations and observations:
• Learn French. I looks like it is more important to know French well than to have top results in sports tests. In my series as a bleu (blue), I believe that all who knew French were selected for rouge (red);
• Be able to reach level 9 at Luc-Léger test and at least 10 pull-ups (the conditions you train yourself are different from those in which you will be tested, so be prepared to do more than the minimum required). An yes, more is better, but will not matter if the DSPLE people do not trust you or if you fail the psychological interview. There were candidates with 7-8 levels in Luc-Léger or/and 7-8 pull-ups who were selected for rouge;
• If you have an average IQ you will be fine. Tthere are three tests, the first one is with objects seen from different perspectives, the second one is with abstract objects that change positions, the last one is with numbers, basic math, if you do online test and have often scores over 100, you are ok, do not stress;
• Know how to swim. Now, as a blue, you will be tested, you will have to swim 25 meters, we were around 40 people and only one failed the test, the same day he was send home);
• Bring your passport, even if you are from the Schengen area, you can come only with your passport, at the gate everybody who passes the tests will have their name changed. You cannot chose anything about your new identity;
• Come with a bag in which you have easy access to the content, bring only light clothes like t-shirts, sports pants, socks, underwear, do not bring nice things, nice clothes, you will not need them, keep it simple. If it is cold bring a jacket. In Marseille and Aubagne it is windy, you will need at least a blouse or polar. You can come only with your running shoes. Until you are blue you will stay in your clothes, I had 5-6 pairs of socks, underwear, t-shirts. Bring flip-flops, your towel must not be too big, it will dry out hard. When you pass to blue, you will get everything the Legion considers you need and you will be able to keep only your running shoes, watch, money, cigarettes, lighter, glasses. In your bag you will have to put all your things, the jacket can be attached to the bag;
• Bring coins. I had around 13 € in coins, but you can bring more, they are good for the two coffee machines where a coffee is 0.50 €, but do not drink coffee before your first medical, they test your blood pressure;
• Try to have always on you some paper or napkins;
• I recommend you come with short hair and short beard, as a blue every morning you will need to shave;
• If you want the things to go quickly, come on Monday or Tuesday at Aubagne, you will be bleu in the same week, and next Thursday will go rouge or go home. I came on a Monday, Tuesday I had medical, sports and IQ tests, Wednesday I was selected for blue, and the next week I did not pass the commission for rouge. I spent exactly 10 days in Aubagne;
• If you want to eat the day you come, try to come before 14:00;
• Try to drink plenty of water. You can bring a bottle and fill it with tap water (the tap water is ok). It is windy, I had cracked lips;
• If you use a smartphone, install the SNCF (French railways company) app, it will help to find trains and busses in France;
• If you are young (20-25 year-old), healthy, fit, medium IQ, motivated, you have great chance to get rouge, if you are close or over 35, you must be somebody special to be accepted;
• Even if do not wish to stay, you can go to live the experience of selection, but ask to go civil in the day of the commission, not to take the place of somebody who needs the Legion.

I went back to an older job and I am doing fine. For now I do not have a PC and it is harder to write on a tablet, but I will post more.

Thanks a lot for the update, Dan and your expérience in Aubange will help us a lot

Said before, for you the "wannabes",...travel light
Hair and nails clipped before passing the gate
Minimum of clothing :
3 x under wear ( Y fronts)
3 x T. Shirts ( coton and monochrome)
3 x socks, prefer sockettes
1 or 2 long sleeved coton t shirt
1 sweat shirt
1 jogging pantalon
1 trouser : prefer a chino
A light jersey (depending on season)
1 pair of tongs/flip flops. ..cheap
light throw away shit
1 pair of decent trainers / running shoes / gutties /baskets/ tennis. ..call them what you want,but make the grade with
At the limit, a bomber jacket, depending on the season
If you are cold = grin and bare, ffs
You'll probally be kicked out with in the week, so!
When you enter : some of the above you will be wearing

Hygiène kit :
A packet of dispossable razors, type BIC (10) needs at least 2 to have a decent shave, depending who you are. ..use your bathing soap to sud up
A small bar of neutral soap
A dozen ear buds (why bring a box full)
1 micro fiber towel = they are light weight and fold up napkin size
A washing glove is a waste of space but if it reminds you of mommy. ..so be it!
Opt for a light weight nylon sack to carry your kit

Smokers ; 6 pkts and 2 cheap lighters
30 to 50 euros in loose change and a money pouch

If i have missed some thing essential. ..please add

Post Shitum
Travel light and no burdens (like usless weight)

Said before too : learn to swim young man, learn to swim. ..if you already cant !
As we learn, the Légions standards vary in time, so stay tuned all

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
(...) if you are close or over 35, you must be somebody special to be accepted; (...)
How special? My mommy says I'm her special little boy, but other evil kids say that I'm just retarded. :)
I'm kidding. thanks for responding Sorin. Give some more info when you have time.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusa just tell them how much beer you can down.
Are you kidding me? That would be immediate disqualification for me. :)

No, no. Dušan of tomorrow (not f-ing Dusa. That sound so gay in any given language :)). won't be same Dušan.

I'm giving up beer. Straightening myself up, and I'm doing what needs to be done!