a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 years service

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
It says in the link :)

Major Jean-Luc Lotz
(the highest French NCO rank, equivalent to Sergeant Major rank/appointment in the US + UK) joined the Foreign Legion as a young volunteer in 1979, after having watched on TV the 2e REP jumping over Kolwezi in then Zaire to rescue over 2,000 Europeans.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Major Jean-Luc Lotz
(the highest French NCO rank, equivalent to Sergeant Major rank/appointment in the US + UK) (...)
I would think the rank Major is like a W01 in the UK. Warrant officer Class 1. Like an RSM. Basically the top soldier in the regiment.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Major is more like a W.O. 2 but then again it depends on the roles and fonctions they are used for. In the Legion, it's usually honorifique fonctions, like the Président des sous-officers (President of the NCOs).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Major is more like a W.O. 2 (but then again. ..it depends on the rôles and fonctions they are used for.
In the Legion, it's usually honorifique fonctions, like the président of sous officers (NCOs)
OK... So what is Adj Chef? I always thought that was a warrant officer

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It is and so is Adjudant. ..
The Adjudant will usually be used for a platoon leader
Adjudant Chef(s)...will run the S.G.(camp cleaning and the taule (jail)
Pay master (Trésorière).Vaguemestre...the regiments postal service. Or Adjudant Company. ..others will be at the B.Ô. I. (Bureau d ' opérations and instruction. ..if it's still called that)
Adjudant's a white strip and a thin red running thru
Adjudant Chefs are gold with the red stripe thru the mid
In the Cavalry, both are adressed as," Mon Lieutenant"...dates back to the Napoléon era
Artillerie and Génie (engineers)?
Wait till Rapace gets on

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It is and so is Adjudant. ..
The Adjudant will usually be used for a platoon leader
Adjudant Chef(s)...will run the S.G.(camp cleaning and the taule (jail)
Pay master (Trésorière).Vaguemestre...the regiments postal service. Or Adjudant Company. ..others will be at the B.Ô. I. (Bureau d ' opérations and instruction. ..if it's still called that)
Adjudant's a white strip and a thin red running thru
Adjudant Chefs are gold with the red stripe thru the mid
In the Cavalry, both are adressed as," Mon Lieutenant"...dates back to the Napoléon era
Artillerie and Génie (engineers)?
Wait till Rapace gets on
Cheers bud... Yes the cavalry have their own thing. Was like us in the artillery. Cpl was a bombardier & we got to wear an old cannon above the Sgt stripes. 😆

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A Caporal in the Cavalry here, is called a Brigadier
Post Shitum : same pay, tho

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
All this rank, did my brains a over heating job when i first joined. .
Started in the REC, btw
1 st Escadron, Peloton Commando
Chef de Section was a Yugo Adjudant (Lieutenant) (Slovenia)...had it cool with him
Ran good and so did he
My marksmanship (especially with the Fud P.A.,wich was a load of crap)
One day on the range, with 6 rounds and at 25 m distance. I placed them all on the right shoulder, in the surface équivalent of the size of a packet of non tipped cloppes (snouts). ..he was stunned. Kept shaking his head. Took the target down.Couple day's later, i was called out. Just me. Told to get equiped. Helmet, webbing etc. Got driven, by Jeep to the ranges.
Presented to the Chef de Corps
There was a General de mes couilles (baw bag) of some sort on a visit
They, the Officiers had arranged a Clay pigeon shoot...Was a few senior N.C.Ô. s too (Adjudants and Adjudant Chefs and a Major)
Some lower ranks too, but i hardly noticed them. They were there to do the service set up.
We started the séance. 2 by 2. It seemed to me. .i was permanently on the fire line. ..the other would be replaced evry so many bastos (rounds)
We stopped for the Casse croûte / Casser la dalle or breaking the slab if you prefer
Fois Gras and Loaf that made you float. Pinard (red wine) Château Neuf des Papes, a côte du Rhône. .a cheeky wee number, indeed
Finished up with the tradional café calva (Calvados brandy. ..)
Can't remember the ride back to camp. Was totalement rat arsed. ..
Provoking fuds
They pissed off to play Polo or some other snobby shyte
True story, btw

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
All this rank, did my brains a over heating job when i first joined. .
Started in the REC, btw
1 st Escadron, Peloton Commando
Chef de Section was a Yugo Adjudant (Lieutenant) (Slovenia)...had it cool with him
Ran good and so did he
My marksmanship (especially with the Fud P.A.,wich was a load of crap)
One day on the range, with 6 rounds and at 25 m distance. I placed them all on the right shoulder, in the surface équivalent of the size of a packet of non tipped cloppes (snouts). ..he was stunned. Kept shaking his head. Took the target down.Couple day's later, i was called out. Just me. Told to get equiped. Helmet, webbing etc. Got driven, by Jeep to the ranges.
Presented to the Chef de Corps
There was a General de mes couilles (baw bag) of some sort on a visit
They, the Officiers had arranged a Clay pigeon shoot...Was a few senior N.C.Ô. s too (Adjudants and Adjudant Chefs and a Major)
Some lower ranks too, but i hardly noticed them. They were there to do the service set up.
We started the séance. 2 by 2. It seemed to me. .i was permanently on the fire line. ..the other would be replaced evry so many bastos (rounds)
We stopped for the Casse croûte / Casser la dalle or breaking the slab if you prefer
Fois Gras and Loaf that made you float. Pinard (red wine) Château Neuf des Papes, a côte du Rhône. .a cheeky wee number, indeed
Finished up with the tradional café calva (Calvados brandy. ..)
Can't remember the ride back to camp. Was totalement rat arsed. ..
Provoking fuds
They pissed off to play Polo or some other snobby shyte
True story, btw
Cool Story bro... 😉
So you were first posted to to the Rec?

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
The role and function of a Major. Source: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-french-foreign-legion-rank-structure.111018/

Major is the French military rank equivalent of a Regimental Sergeant Major. Since January 1st, 2009 this grade has been attached to the Sous-officiers. Prior to this, Major was an independent rank between NCOs and commissioned officers. It is an executive position within a regiment or brigade responsible for senior administration, standards and discipline."

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The role and function of a Major. Source: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-french-foreign-legion-rank-structure.111018/

Major is the French military rank equivalent of a Regimental Sergeant Major. Since January 1st, 2009 this grade has been attached to the Sous-officiers. Prior to this, Major was an independent rank between NCOs and commissioned officers. It is an executive position within a regiment or brigade responsible for senior administration, standards and discipline."
Yes thought that & Adj Chef is like a W02? Company Sgt maj in the UK

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We also had a garrison Sgt maj in Hohne because we had a lot of regiments there..
Queens Own hussars
Welsh guards
1st royal horse artillery
40 field regiment RA
Royal engineers
Royal signals
Chefs like Joe was attached.
Dutch army
German army

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What a great accomplishment. Not possible in the Marine Corps, one would have to be an officer and a General Grade at that. During the hot and heavy Iraq/Afghanistan wars, the 30-year limit for enlisted was relaxed. But, the only enlisted Marines with that kind of time were Sergeants Majors or Senior 1st Sergeants whom still had a shot a promotion to Sergeants Major. In my time here were the service limits:

Corporal, up to eight years, had to be competitive for Sergeant
Sergeant, up to twelve years, had to be competitive for Staff Sergeant or had been passed for promotion once
Staff Sergeant, up to twenty-years, yours truly. But now I believe it reverted back to about 16 to 18 years
Gunnery Sergeant, up to twenty-two to twenty-four years, had to be competitive for either 1st Sgt or MSgt
1st Sgt or Master Sergeant, to around 26 to 30, but if not a SgtsMaj or Master Gunnery Sergeant not likely to stay that long