40th anniversary of Col Érulin’s death

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
A corporal in 1953 and risen to Colonel by 1976 , quite a career.
An outstanding officer. Not long after I joined the regiment there was one hell of a scrap in the foyer. The bloody Germans along with the Spaniards were acting up singing old nazi songs. Finally one of our lads, Allen, a cockney from east London, got up and said bollocks! and started singing rule Britannia! It started an almighty scrap wich went from the foyer into the DZ. The Brits must of been outnumbered 3 to one but we didn’t give a shit fueled by Kros it was like a scene out of Dante’s inferno! A day or so later still nursing a hangover I was crossing the regimental square. Big mistake! There was colonel Erulin with a couple of his officers.. Wake! I froze. Come here! I stood rigidly in front of him. He looked me over... I was covered in cuts and bruises. a part of me wanted to just disappear into the ground. Ça marche Wake? Ça marche mon colonel! He just started smiling! Dismiss! I smartly saluted and took off! He was like that didn’t miss a trick and coming from the ranks he knew the score. For some unknown reason he liked the Brits . So it's forty years since you are gone mon colonel. Forgive me for being late in paying my respects. It is only one of those bloody Brits who served with you!

OP
Rapace

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Don't repeat it (ush... ush...), but the funny thing about this story is that the 2e REP regimental song itself, like many Legion songs, is a “Frenchified” version of a Waffen-SS song (SS marschiert in Feindesland). So maybe the Krauts just wanted to get back to the original version... :D. Don't understand though, what the Spaniards had to do in it.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The song that started the fight was an old Fallschirmjäger song about the invasion of England ( rush to your 📚) . The Spaniards? Many of their fathers served with Franco who was hand in hand with Hitler. And every Ancien knows about the origin of most Legion songs. To understand all this? Well... You can read the books or, better yet, join the Legion!

OP
Rapace

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Too old for the Legion... 😁

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
So what was stopping you joining the Legion either as an officer or a legionnaire when you were young? A béret rouge with such a fascination for the Legion! Doesn’t make sense to me. Regardless I was simply paying homage to an officer that I served with. So let’s just respect that.

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Best answers
Home Country
United States
We heard that the Colonel was murdered out of jealousy of the military elite. After Kolwezi the Colonel Érulin was the golden child of the French military.

OP
Rapace

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
We heard that the Colonel was murdered out of jealousy of the military elite. After Kolwezi the Colonel Érulin was the golden child of the French military.
The more prosaic truth is that he died of a heart attack when jogging. The fact that he was quite young when he passed away (47 year-old) and that he was supposedly in good physical shape (so, in the mind of some people, not prone to suffer such health issue) triggered the urban legend that he was assassinated.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The more prosaic truth is that he died of a heart attack when jogging. The fact that he was quite young when he passed away (47 year-old) and that he was supposedly in good physical shape (so, in the mind of some people, not prone to suffer such health issue) triggered the urban legend that he was assassinated.
So it is settled then. Colonel Érulin was a soldier of France who served his country well. May he Rest In Peace.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Found this picture taken in July 1957, where one sees young Lt Érulin (front row, on the right) when he was serving in Algeria with 1er RCP.

View attachment 5480
A proud young para!

Head held high. Just waiting for (another) piece of action.
admiration.
I have it in mind the next time I visit France to pay my respects to the colonel. I still have a piece of the American T-10 parachute that I jumped with at Kolwezi, the front release clasp along with some other mementos. I will leave these at his grave site. I hear other Anciens of the regiment have done the same thing. He was that respected and loved by his men. More Majorum Mon colonel!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
A proud young para!

I have it in mind the next time I visit France to pay my respects to the colonel. I still have a piece of the American T-10 parachute that I jumped with at Kolwezi, the front release clasp along with some other mementos. I will leave these at his grave site. I hear other Anciens of the regiment have done the same thing. He was that respected and loved by his men. More Majorum Mon colonel!
Mark, Erulin’s family gave his Legion d’honneur to the Regiment after his death. It now sits in the museum (salle d’honneur) Calvi

Attachments

Most viewed threads of the week