a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 months goes by fast

CanadianBorn

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So 6 months ago I introduced myself saying I was releasing from the Canadian Forces to pursue a contract with the Legion. Well here I am on my last week and I'm trying to get everything in order so I can head to France within a months time hopefully.

Quick list of done/need to do

- Had my Wisdom teeth removed in summer
- Just got my flu shot today because why not going in the winter months
- I have a release medical on Thursday; I am going to get them to look for anything they see wrong. I don't foresee any issues, but who knows.
- Stopped training MMA as I don't need to acquire any sort of injury in the next little bit

Other than that I just finished a strength/bulking cycle and am now working on cutting weight. I stopped drinking because of it! I'm at about 6' 195ilbs: Can do over 20 pullups, over 50 pushups, and run I'm guessing around a 12 on the beep test. I want to cut to about 185 before I go doing a lot of cardio right now.

I'll give a quick update before I leave if everything goes well, and then I will post back once I fail/pass selection!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the forums as it is a wealth of information about the entire process.

stefankidd

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Bonne chance mate, hope you'll be green after few months and will let us know how it went! :)

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
You are well prepared and had everything well thought over. Good luck and hope you make it and serve a minimum of 5 years

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Good one mate, keep your mouth shut and stay away from the deadbeats and loosers.PM me if you want.

catalin95

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Good luck!You are in a good shape!Keep your protein intake high to not loose too much muscle and don't hurry with your cut because you can lose a lot a muscle.Do it right!

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Good luck. Don't know why you stopped drinking though, that's a skill you'll need in the legion!

Nothing wrong with a few pints every once in awhile but I don't know if you have ever seen Canadians drink, we are just as bad if not worse then Americans for binge-drinking ourselves into oblivion, especially in the army. I used to put back a 12 pack like it was nothing and still be able to wake up the next day and function, this is fine when you are 19 years old and full of piss and vinegar but not so much anymore.

Besides, if he wants to show up in tip top shape for selection, abstaining from booze isn't necessarily a bad idea, doesn't mean he can't drink his face off once he has le képi blanc ;).... he will probably need to carb load anyways after a few months at the castle which makes me think the weight cut might not be such a good idea, from what I have read and what some of you anciens have said, the food portions are very small.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
A word of advise, keep off the protein subs. You should be getting enough in your daily diet. One big shock you will get is the food in the legion. It's basic, not very tasty and is designed for legionnaires. You will be feeling hungry for the time you are in Aubagne and feel starving during training. All the those little pills and flour will be confiscated when you get to Aubagne.
When you get to Aubagne they do a kidney dip stick test. This is the paper stick that they dip into a sample of your urine. One of the elements it measures is protein in your urine. Normally your kidneys hold in the protein, but if there is too much it will be filtered out.
Under normal circumstances protein in your urine means a kidney disinfection. Once in your regiment the medic, doctor know that people take substitutes it's only normal. But you are not in your regiment yet, so "flour cold turkey!" for a while.

RCC

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Joe- thanks for posting that. As someone who is heading off in January and has been going heavy on the protein shakes I appreciate the advice. Good to know.

Canadian born- good luck man, sounds like you are ready to make a good run at it. How long did it take you to recover from having your wisdom teeth pulled? I'm having it done in two weeks, hoping it doesn't take more than a few days.

A1200

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Keep in mind that at aubgane if the doctors see high amount of protein to your urine they will asume that you have bad kidneys,it's better to take krearine only

--edit--
Joseph covered the kidney issue

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Nothing wrong with a few pints every once in awhile but I don't know if you have ever seen Canadians drink, we are just as bad if not worse then Americans for binge-drinking ourselves into oblivion, especially in the army. I used to put back a 12 pack like it was nothing and still be able to wake up the next day and function

Only a 12 pack? You must mean in the morning, take a powernap after lunch and call that the next day.

PS newest rage in Holland: comadrinking. Drink so much you pass out of alcoholpoisening and wake up in the ER. KIDS THESE DAYS ARE PUSSYS, CANNOT HOLD THEIR DRINKS

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Joe- thanks for posting that. As someone who is heading off in January and has been going heavy on the protein shakes I appreciate the advice. Good to know.

Canadian born- good luck man, sounds like you are ready to make a good run at it. How long did it take you to recover from having your wisdom teeth pulled? I'm having it done in two weeks, hoping it doesn't take more than a few days.

Had mine removed recently, was fine the next morning.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Only a 12 pack? You must mean in the morning, take a powernap after lunch and call that the next day.

PS newest rage in Holland: comadrinking. Drink so much you pass out of alcoholpoisening and wake up in the ER. KIDS THESE DAYS ARE PUSSYS, CANNOT HOLD THEIR DRINKS

Well I was going to say a 24 but didn't want you guys to think I have a problem :D

gatorojo ✞

Missed friend...
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good luck!You are in a good shape!Keep your protein intake high to not loose too much muscle and don't hurry with your cut because you can lose a lot a muscle.Do it right!

Catlin beat me to it, so all I can say is listen to the man, that's the straight goods!

[edit to clarify] When I read Catalin's msg, I didn't think about protein shakes, I was thinking about MEAT. The other's comments about the powdered form of protein are absolutely correct.

My bad.

Juicyy

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hej guys , since i am drinking right now protein shakes, and i am planning in january to go, will it be enough if i stop drinking those shakes end november ? or to make the question better, how much days should be enough without the protein shakes, so the kidneys dont make me problems ? thx in advance.

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hej guys , since i am drinking right now protein shakes, and i am planning in january to go, will it be enough if i stop drinking those shakes end november ? or to make the question better, how much days should be enough without the protein shakes, so the kidneys dont make me problems ? thx in advance.

Why don't you just eat meat and vegetables? All the Greens are going to tell you their is no need to take protein supplements. Your not training to be a body builder, your training to be a soldier and being lean and mean is a lot more important then being a big muscle head. Eat three good meals a day and you will get more then enough vitamins and nutrition!

Juicyy

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
You are 100% right... I am also not a big fan od suplements, but right now i am on a keto diet (its the fastest and best way for me), to cut some weight, so this month all i am eating is basicaly protein... next month i will be back at "normal" eating meat and vegetables and so on.. finalizing my training and then in january its time for me to go.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Why don't you just eat meat and vegetables? All the Greens are going to tell you their is no need to take protein supplements. Your not training to be a body builder, your training to be a soldier and being lean and mean is a lot more important then being a big muscle head. Eat three good meals a day and you will get more then enough vitamins and nutrition!
good advice, canackroyal, I am not a dietitian but would definitely add carbohydrates to the list, boiled potatoes, boiled pasta, etc.
As for Juiccy you might be playing too much with the diet thing. You will have a completely different diet when you get to the legion. See what you can do on ordinary food, (extra fruit juice is allowed) in the way of paliers and pull ups. It's not the Olympic games, past records don't count, and you might be hanging around for a few days before taking your entrance tests. You will have a vending machine (ah yes modern times!) selling mars bars and other nutter, but no vit, protein, carbs supplements.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
good advice, canackroyal, I am not a dietitian but would definitely add carbohydrates to the list, boiled potatoes, boiled pasta, etc.
As for Juiccy you might be playing too much with the diet thing. You will have a completely different diet when you get to the legion. See what you can do on ordinary food, (extra fruit juice is allowed) in the way of paliers and pull ups. It's not the Olympic games, past records don't count, and you might be hanging around for a few days before taking your entrance tests. You will have a vending machine (ah yes modern times!) selling mars bars and other nutter, but no vit, protein, carbs supplements.

Like Joe mentioned definitely add carbs to your diet, sweet potato's , regular potatoes , oatmeal, pasta, bananas ect. Eat about 100-150 grams of meat (chicken, beef, turkey), meal or 2 of that. After a while once the weight is gone, focus on just getting calories in rather then the macronutriants of things. Vending machine food (some not all is caloric) a mars bar has about 220 calories.