a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6X6 Jaguar

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Have you been following the NATO exercice in Norway
France deployed 3000 troupes and equipment
Dinops, were used but dinnae ken if they were Legion or not
A lot of man power and equipment from the whole NATO forces, Sweden and Norway inclu
Even the Albanese were présent
(Btw, future NATO base to be built soon in Albania
watched a bit here & there but not really much. maybe they will call us up Bro...:D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
For those who knock Dad's Army look on Wiki or Google the Home Service Force. They were a highly rated force during the 80s' until disbanding in 1992 under 'Options for Change'. Always remember being asked; HSF who the hell are you ? Happy days indeed.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
US special forces Hummer :
Nice set up, but humvee isn't that great vehicle .Its actually outdated. There is many much better out there. Biggest fault being lack of good enough armor on the bottom so even smaller IED could kill crew.

Americans replacing it with :

Last edited:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nice set up, but humvee isn't that great vehicle .Its actually outdated. There is many much better out there. Biggest fault being lack of good enough armor on the bottom so even smaller IED could kill crew.

Correct. Although: most versions of the JLTV aren't as transportable by C-130 as the HMMWV; i.e. you can air drop 2 HMMWV's in a C-130 vs. just one JLTV. This presents an slight issue logistically.

Then again, airdropping light vehicles has its disadvantages, too. Check out the reactions of the soldiers in this video; it's the most American thing ever:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I don't know what the going rate for a HumV is but a few heads will roll over that one. I can only take it that it was an exercise in seeing if they could get x amounts of Vhls on the ground in one go? There is no pun intended here.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't know what the going rate for a HumV is but a few heads will roll over that one. I can only take it that it was an exercise in seeing if they could get x amounts of Vhls on the ground in one go? There is no pun intended here.

~$70,000 a pop- minimum. An up-armored version goes 3 times that. That's not taking into consideration the cost of sub-components that may have been installed on the vehicles when they 'burned in'.

As far as the exercise goes; this is actually just more or less how a Coy/Co/Cie of Yank Paras deploys. Standard procedure, really. The paras are dropped first to secure their DZ (drop zone); afterward comes their equipment. What you're seeing in the video is the equipment (vehicles) coming in.

And Joe... Once again, T'as raison, Comme D'habitude. Heads, American or not, indeed rolled. The Loadmaster was sacked and the film crew were given Letter's of Reprimand, which effectively ended their careers.

Still though, I ask you gents who served in other armies--particularly paras, but Cavalrymen as well-- what your honest reaction would have been, had you watched your beloved vehicle fall from the sky, 1250 ft (400M) in all, and just eat shite---just explode into a thousand pieces? I presume that you wouldn't laugh.

But an American would. Because, F* it, plenty more where that one came from.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Correct. Although: most versions of the JLTV aren't as transportable by C-130 as the HMMWV; i.e. you can air drop 2 HMMWV's in a C-130 vs. just one JLTV. This presents an slight issue logistically.

Then again, airdropping light vehicles has its disadvantages, too. Check out the reactions of the soldiers in this video; it's the most American thing ever:
Saw that already somewhere. if you lacking bombs you can always drug humvees on your enemy :)
70 to 200 K for humvee! You can probably buy Russian vehicle more up to date and with better characteristics for similar price.
Montenegro just bought 40 new JLTVs ! Their national income is same as middle sized town in America! They took loan. I guess that is price of NATO protection.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Haha....i'm piss wet through. Was out pounding the streets. Heavy rain. Mind you it was peaceful no people just cars going past looking at me like I'm an idiot.