a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new beggining...hopefully

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello dear people
My name is Ivaylo and im from Bulgaria. I just turned 19 and im a law student in my hometown Plovdiv. I'll try not to bore you with my life story but basically my whole life i've tried to please my parents by ditching my dreams and focus on things i'm not so passionate about. The more i study law the more i realize how boring my life is becoming . I've ditched all my hobbies and social life just to focus on this damned subject. Two months ago i told my parents how i feel and asked them to study something else. The answer was "NO". They did not even want to hear about it. So i remembered that a while ago my cousin told me about the legion. I thought a lot about it and i want to put some action in my life. Im planning my escape on the 22nd of January 2019. I've always been pretty fit so the physical does not bother me. My only problem is that my feet are slightly flat. This has never bothered me i've never felt pain from it and you have to really look or be a qualified doctor to see my problem. I've read some threads on the internet about flat feet in the legion and most of them say that i'll be rejected. My spirits were down after this but despite all of this i'll still go and give my best on the tests. I do not want to be a lawyer the idea of spending my life on a desk scares me hopefully this will be a new beggining.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ivaylo,

Welcome to the forum. Learn from the Greens and enjoy the banter.

You are a young man. Complete your education and get qualified. You have plenty of time to consider the Foreign Legion. Qualifications will always stand you in good stead.

In my day only 3 to 3.8% of people went to University in the UK. We also knew that one way or the other we would have to serve in the Armed Forces.

I was a late student at Mons/Sandhurst RMA then at the Hong Kong Govt Language School.(y)

My son and son in law are both graduates. In the modern world qualifications and language skills will be very advantageous in any form of business or a profession.

Chas. FBIM, M.Inst.M now Chartered. Now an old geezer !;)

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Follow your heart, not what others recommend you to do...I have a good friend who has 22 years service, he is Bulgarian and a CCH. Works over with the EV and the reds, you will see him if you come soon. He leaves next year, back to Bulgaria.
Screw what these dudes on here recommend you to do. You do what that heart tells you, not these cyber freaks here recommend. Most are half dead, live in the "Past of back in the day" and or are total maniacs who come here and tell about there grand idea to join when they get tired of the free loader ride and all the excuses that come with it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
DCLXV1,

I may be half dead and live in the past as you so kindly post.

However I remain proud of my service and would never denigrate the units in which I served. I also do not make excuses.

The men I had the honour to serve with were both loyal and modest to a fault. They, are and were not churlish.

However as a family man with children, now middle aged, I was purely offering a polite opinion. Also, I genuinely believe that a sound education stands you in good stead.

With your much vaunted enthusiasm, I trust that you enjoy a full and pensionable career.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
DCLXV1,

I may be half dead and live in the past as you so kindly post.

However I remain proud of my service and would never denigrate the units in which I served. I also do not make excuses.

The men I had the honour to serve with were both loyal and modest to a fault. They, are and were not churlish.

However as a family man with children, now middle aged, I was purely offering a polite opinion. Also, I genuinely believe that a sound education stands you in good stead.

With your much vaunted enthusiasm, I trust that you enjoy a full and pensionable career.
I deleted his last post. When you delete a post you can give a reason or not. I told DCLXVI that his rudeness and obnoxiousness were starting to piss people off.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Ivaylo and welcome to the forum. If you are not giving all you have in your studies and decide to join the legion, then why not? I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as planning an escape and evasion operation across occupied Europe o_O but yes, you should be prepared, I know Dusa would be the first to remind to tell you that in you E&E kit to add your 3 t shirts and the socks etc. Do look up the stickies about joining and how to be prepared.
22 January isn't that far away. One advantage is that you will be used to the cold weather and can speak English, How is the French?
I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I deleted his last post. When you delete a post you can give a reason or not. I told DCLXVI that his rudeness and obnoxiousness were starting to piss people off.

Joe no worries from my part. But thank you. He is simply being his usual self. :D

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe no worries from my part. But thank you. He is simply being his usual self. I
Well I thought I'd warn him anyway, because although he's said that he does not want any more to do with the forum several times, he's always coming back.
I'd say the biggest regret is that instead of offering helpful advice in a civil manner and pointing people in the right direction, he's got this demeaning aggressive IN Capitols manner.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello Ivaylo and welcome to the forum. If you are not giving all you have in your studies and decide to join the legion, then why not? I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as planning an escape and evasion operation across occupied Europe o_O but yes, you should be prepared, I know Dusa would be the first to remind to tell you that in you E&E kit to add your 3 t shirts and the socks etc. Do look up the stickies about joining and how to be prepared.
22 January isn't that far away. One advantage is that you will be used to the cold weather and can speak English, How is the French?
I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.
It is more of an escape from my "dear" mother because she does not know of my plans.
I've read what i need to prepare and i will probably start french lessons next week. Will try to learn as much as i can for that short amount of time.The only thing i know in french is "omelette du fromage" but i doubt that will be useful haha .

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Funny, I never mentioned anyones name. More crying I can see. Matters not. Funny how people want to abrogate my free speech. Must be a universal complex of right violating.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well I thought I'd warn him anyway, because although he's said that he does not want any more to do with the forum several times, he's always coming back.
I'd say the biggest regret is that instead of offering helpful advice in a civil manner and pointing people in the right direction, he's got this demeaning aggressive IN Capitols manner.
Why would i point them in the right direction, when all you people do here is say its all bullshit. You all beg for current info, when its given, you all jump together and call bullshit. Why on earth would I help?. Same syndrome in the legion. Everyone is a total maggot and drunk and cocaine weekend user and a total fantasist. The guys who lived it, all sweep it under the rug and keep pretending the legion is full of commandos. Total and biggest running joke that France has to offer. Again, No one wants the truth. It is a double edge sword and mighty sharp.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Funny, I never mentioned anyones name. More crying I can see. Matters not. Funny how people want to abrogate my free speech. Must be a universal complex of right violating.
Hahahahahaha! So when you tell people off its advice and wisdom? But when they reprimand you for being an insulting prick, its violating your rights? Then you say we're in denial? Come on guy, catch a wake-up.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

DCLXV1,

I am not the crying type. I respect you for one thing only and that is that you persevered and got accepted on the 3rd attempt.

You still have to complete your contract.

Frankly after 18 years of Crown Service I can't be bothered with you and I shall not resort to puerile abuse.

Yours aye,
Chas.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hahahahahaha! So when you tell people off its advice and wisdom? But when they reprimand you for being an insulting prick, its violating your rights? Then you say we're in denial? Come on guy, catch a wake-up.
Still waiting for you to join someday.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
DCLXV1,

Please do not denigrate the French. You serve under a French flag.
You do yourself no favours by running down the Foreign Legion.
A regiment or unit expects loyalty from its men.
Just a thought to ponder on.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
DCLXV1,

Please do not denigrate the French. You serve under a French flag.
You do yourself no favours by running down the Foreign Legion.
A regiment or unit expects loyalty from its men.
Just a thought to ponder on.
oHHHHHHHH BUT YOU DONT KNOW THE LEGION :)

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Welcome.

If you have a lot of studies left, then go ahead and try to join. It's what you want to do and that is all that matters in the end. If you only have a year or two left, I'd finish the studies before going. Then whether or not you make it in, whether or not you stay for 5 years or more, you'll always have your qualification to fall back on. It never hurts to have options.