a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A_Wanderer is on the move

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My beer is called a barrel
We will talk later
Do not abuse your Q. L.
C'est samedi soir, ffs
L.P.C.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Are you in your company yet? Is there a section de marche or what ever it is called, I thing it might be section de... LPC au secours .
What are the OPEXs that are planned?
How many asked to go civvy?
What were the French lessons like?

nothing better to do cropped.png Hey ! The sleepers, now is your chance to present yourselves and start asking questions.
A_wanderer, do me a favor and NOT reply to anyone who has zero messages below his avatar by PM.
Cheers,
Joe.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I just skipped back to the original post and I quote :
I'm motivated as hell and ready to start this. Wish me luck, I'll keep with the updates šŸ¤™
Well you certainly were / are. ;)

Anychance of getting some photos on here?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm in the commandment company right now, but I'll probably affect to 4th company after initial training here, which is 10 weeks.

French lessons were not bad but the best is to shut up and listen for a month, then try speaking once you get some vocabulary.

My class started with 45, we graduated with 34. Most are injuries who asked for civilian, only two who weren't injured asked for civil. They were mostly french.

As for OPEX, I don't want to devulge all the info because security of course, but we are planned for a mission in france after training, and one outside france in less than one year

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm in the commandment company right now, but I'll probably affect to 4th company after initial training here, which is 10 weeks.

French lessons were not bad but the best is to shut up and listen for a month, then try speaking once you get some vocabulary.

My class started with 45, we graduated with 34. Most are injuries who asked for civilian, only two who weren't injured asked for civil. They were mostly french.

As for OPEX, I don't want to devulge all the info because security of course, but we are planned for a mission in france after training, and one outside france in less than one year
As far as French language knowledge, were you content with the level you were at when you went in compared with your progress currently?

Did you have a designated binƓme to you personally or you kinda gravitate to certain people? Were some non French speakers struggling the whole time or were they able to pick it up?

Could you talk a little about what we could expect for the iq test and psych tests? You said gestapo was pretty quick for you at the time, how about psych interview?

What are some of the pros and cons for the regiments that you saw that made you choose 1Reg?

What was your favorite part of boot camp or some of your best memories? I know it's still pretty recent.

Was your company in boot camp pretty close in as a whole or were there small groups that bonded more?

Could you talk about the medical screening a little bit? I know it's been gone over a ton. But what were some of the medical reasons people got turned away? If you have strong healthy bones, joints, and just wellness, do they take your word for it pretty much or do they dig in?

Where bouts did you finish rank wise at the end?

Were there many older guys that you saw make it in or were in boot camp with?

Thanks again! Happy for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As far as French language knowledge, were you content with the level you were at when you went in compared with your progress currently?

Did you have a designated binƓme to you personally or you kinda gravitate to certain people? Were some non French speakers struggling the whole time or were they able to pick it up?

Could you talk a little about what we could expect for the iq test and psych tests? You said gestapo was pretty quick for you at the time, how about psych interview?

What are some of the pros and cons for the regiments that you saw that made you choose 1Reg?

What was your favorite part of boot camp or some of your best memories? I know it's still pretty recent.

Was your company in boot camp pretty close in as a whole or were there small groups that bonded more?

Could you talk about the medical screening a little bit? I know it's been gone over a ton. But what were some of the medical reasons people got turned away? If you have strong healthy bones, joints, and just wellness, do they take your word for it pretty much or do they dig in?

Where bouts did you finish rank wise at the end?

Were there many older guys that you saw make it in or were in boot camp with?

Thanks again! Happy for you.
I knew almost no french when I left, mostly it's lessons that give a bare bones base, and the rest is simply talking boys. And it takes time but even an idiot like me could do it. Some, like the Nepali, are another story lol.

I did not have a binƓme, I simply just talked to everyone. I was the only native English speaker, but a samoan, a tibetan, and a belge were my closest friends. I had friends in all the groups (french, russophone, japanese, etc).

Medical is just don't have obvious problems and you're ok. It's really easy.

Psych interview is also easy, I just answered like I thought Captain America would answer and I made it. Although don't be too smart, or too dumb. Be middle.

Best units for missions and money right now is 1 REG, 2 REG, 1REC, and 2REI. 3REI is possible but spots are very very rare.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I finished 13 and still got to chose my regiment. The reason I placed lower is because I'm a non francophone, and francophones get a rediculous amount of points. 4 francophones ahead of me, I was superior in sport and shooting, but french, french, french, boys. Important.

#1 - French#2 Belarusian #3 French #4 Spanish #5 Italian-Moroccan, #6, French, #7 Malgache, #8 Moldovan #9 French, #10 Senegalese

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I knew almost no french when I left, mostly it's lessons that give a bare bones base, and the rest is simply talking boys. And it takes time but even an idiot like me could do it. Some, like the Nepali, are another story lol.

I did not have a binƓme, I simply just talked to everyone. I was the only native English speaker, but a samoan, a tibetan, and a belge were my closest friends. I had friends in all the groups (french, russophone, japanese, etc).

Medical is just don't have obvious problems and you're ok. It's really easy.

Psych interview is also easy, I just answered like I thought Captain America would answer and I made it. Although don't be too smart, or too dumb. Be middle.

Best units for missions and money right now is 1 REG, 2 REG, 1REC, and 2REI. 3REI is possible but spots are very very rare.
Right on man! It seems like there are some steriotypes out there about the Legion and that it all largely depends on the individual how he will take it and react to it. It seems like everything else in the world that it's changing.

Any regrets thus far? I mean from the sound of it, why would there be!

I've heard alot about how it's just constant corvƩe and you are a janitor, but from listening to different podcasts and what not, even new Navy Seals are cleaning toilets so that is expected. So far for you do you see that as being an issue? I mean anyone should expect that when joining a brand new institution.

So basically all regiments besides the Rep are most desired? Or is it still a popular one? Is anyone going straight to 13eble?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Most desired is 3REI, next is usually 1REG or 1REC but they almost never have spaces. No one wants to go to rep accept 18 year olds that have grand delusions or actual tough, dedicated men.

Everyone does corvees man, expect to do them when you're new. At castel I almost never did them after 1 month because I didn't make banana like the mongols did.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Most desired is 3REI, next is usually 1REG or 1REC but they almost never have spaces. No one wants to go to rep accept 18 year olds that have grand delusions or actual tough, dedicated men.

Everyone does corvees man, expect to do them when you're new. At castel I almost never did them after 1 month because I didn't make banana like the mongols did.
During basic, what was hardest physical aspect of training? What part of your body would you say took the biggest beating? During the long marches, did you have any issues?

Any tips on how to handle the long marches or anything on the physical side?

Did you receive your Kepi Blanc at any special or unique location? I've seen videos with them receiving them in different locations.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
..I finished 13 and still got to choose my regiment..
Lucky 13. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are right to the point when you write. Quand vous pouvez, ecrire un petit peu en francais; aussi, quand tu iras a Paris, Marseille, Strasbourg...etc..suivez les dialects dans ces endroits. I don't know if the 75% travel still applies, especially during Covid restrictions, if you can, get to know about your new country and its ways. Share a bottle with a girl in the most expensive restaurant/hotel you can afford to sharing some time with those "just getting by (Marseille has a few of these places)" and give them a few extra quid if you can afford it. I learned a lot by adapting, blending in and just being polite. Being a decent person has its own rewards and referencing a prior post, never back down if you're in a nasty situation when the odds are somewhat even..attack; but if you're outnumbered, run....your training and fitness will help here...THEN track them down one by one by one...as time permits.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Lucky 13. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are right to the point when you write. Quand vous pouvez, ecrire un petit peu en francais; aussi, quand tu iras a Paris, Marseille, Strasbourg...etc..suivez les dialects dans ces endroits. I don't know if the 75% travel still applies, especially during Covid restrictions, if you can, get to know about your new country and its ways. Share a bottle with a girl in the most expensive restaurant/hotel you can afford to sharing some time with those "just getting by (Marseille has a few of these places)" and give them a few extra quid if you can afford it. I learned a lot by adapting, blending in and just being polite. Being a decent person has its own rewards and referencing a prior post, never back down if you're in a nasty situation when the odds are somewhat even..attack; but if you're outnumbered, run....your training and fitness will help here...THEN track them down one by one by one...as time permits.
I appreciate it, boss. Yeah 13 works well enough for me, I did my work and I'm not beating myself over it. I'll write that down about the women, but the restaurants here are all closed (covid et france cas de couilles) but as soon as it opens up I'll do it.

I'm not too worried about the guys jumping me, I have a solid mafia of americans and south africans, which is more than enough for even the sturdiest 3rd world australopithecus. Training hardcore for fitness begins after fts when I have time.

As for the other fella that asked:

Long marches - easy because you turn off your brain and walk. Ce tout.

Pull ups and anything like carrying guys or equipment - easy because I'm moderately strong for a skinny guy but my anger makes me strong (always angry).

Running - who TF likes running? It's easy just turn off the brain and breath into rhythm.

I struggled with swimming a little because I never swam, but I never failed a test and I discovered I enjoy it well.

Speed marching. So you might have a sergeant like mine who is "high speed", and you will courir avec ton sac a dos pour tout le marche. My last March we ran 15-16km with a gortex top and a full sack. At some point I blacked out and my team was pushing me to help my unconscious body March faster.

Parkour obstacle is easy, each obstacle is no problem but ramping is a little hard. It's all technique, but too easy to hurt yourself. I never hurt myself šŸ¤« but if I did, I'd never tell anyone and I'd handle it because who wants to be held in SIA or the infirmary for months on end?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I appreciate it, boss. Yeah 13 works well enough for me, I did my work and I'm not beating myself over it. I'll write that down about the women, but the restaurants here are all closed (covid et france cas de couilles) but as soon as it opens up I'll do it.

I'm not too worried about the guys jumping me, I have a solid mafia of americans and south africans, which is more than enough for even the sturdiest 3rd world australopithecus. Training hardcore for fitness begins after fts when I have time.

As for the other fella that asked:

Long marches - easy because you turn off your brain and walk. Ce tout.

Pull ups and anything like carrying guys or equipment - easy because I'm moderately strong for a skinny guy but my anger makes me strong (always angry).

Running - who TF likes running? It's easy just turn off the brain and breath into rhythm.

I struggled with swimming a little because I never swam, but I never failed a test and I discovered I enjoy it well.

Speed marching. So you might have a sergeant like mine who is "high speed", and you will courir avec ton sac a dos pour tout le marche. My last March we ran 15-16km with a gortex top and a full sack. At some point I blacked out and my team was pushing me to help my unconscious body March faster.

Parkour obstacle is easy, each obstacle is no problem but ramping is a little hard. It's all technique, but too easy to hurt yourself. I never hurt myself šŸ¤« but if I did, I'd never tell anyone and I'd handle it because who wants to be held in SIA or the infirmary for months on end?
Right on.

How did you like basic training in the cold winter months?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Right on.

How did you like basic training in the cold winter months?
Training in the winter is much better than training in the summer, the marches you'll heat up enough where you're comfortable even if it's snowing like hell. The worst cold is when it's rain and wind, snow is always preferable. The former I experienced at caylus, and all of our fingers were blue and the skin cracked.

Only people I see who don't do too good in the cold is the people from closer to the equator, africans definitely suffered.

You can always put on more clothes and stuff, but in he heat you can never escape it.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Curfew is still 18 h 00 to 06 h 00
All the bars are closed anyway
To knock a doll, you are going to have to wait
Op Sentinnel will be your first contact with french citizens outside of the caserne

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Curfew is still 18 h 00 to 06 h 00
All the bars are closed anyway
To knock a doll, you are going to have to wait
Op Sentinnel will be your first contact with french citizens outside of the caserne
Headed to Montpelier with the anglophone mafia this samedi, hopefully it won't disappoint

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A_Wanderer,

Enjoy a relaxing visit.

Many years ago I visited Montpellier, as a reasonable French speaker and with a French partner in my immediate family.

A fascinating place where in the 9th Century the Moors started a medical school. Eventually a university was founded and in 1220 they created a Faculty of Medicine, hence following on the Moorish tradition.

There is also the Saint Pierre Cathedral which is adjacent to the university and there are or were several decent small restaurants. Finally the weather was great.