a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A_Wanderer is on the move

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I received this from A_Wanderer at 01:54 Thai time,
wish him luck lads !

Today at 1:54 AMNew
Alright, just flew from HTX to New York. Flight to Portugal is in 4 hours, and I think I'm good to go. My test is past the 72hrs, but I got the results less than 72hrs ago so let's see if we can work some magic 😉 Airline should let me on regardless because the website says I don't need it if my arrival and departure from Portugal is within the same day.

I'm motivated as hell and ready to start this. Wish me luck, I'll keep with the updates Joe 🤙

himalayan

Reaction score
Home Country
Nepal
Best of luck dude. When we hear from you next, wish to see your forum status changed to "legionnaire" on a green backdrop.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I got this at 06:04 am Thai time,

New
Let the guys know that access to Europe for American volunteers is good to go. I'll message you once I'm in France
Best of luck dude. When we hear from you next, wish to see your forum status changed to "legionnaire" on a green backdrop.
Thanks Himalayan, I have to admit I was expecting a few more people to wish him luck though, :(:cautious:

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I received this from A_Wanderer at 01:54 Thai time,
wish him luck lads !

Today at 1:54 AMNew
Alright, just flew from HTX to New York. Flight to Portugal is in 4 hours, and I think I'm good to go. My test is past the 72hrs, but I got the results less than 72hrs ago so let's see if we can work some magic 😉 Airline should let me on regardless because the website says I don't need it if my arrival and departure from Portugal is within the same day.

I'm motivated as hell and ready to start this. Wish me luck, I'll keep with the updates Joe 🤙
Glad to hear your status! Way to remind us all the meaning of carpe diem! If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it....standing by for more good news and information.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I got this yesterday evening
Yesterday at 9:54 PMNew
Joe, I have successfully entered Marseille. They didn't test me or anything, they just straight up looked at my passport and said ok good to go

followed by:
Yesterday at 9:55 PM
Going to take a few days to relax in Marseille, stretch my legs and back out and do some pull ups. Should be good to go.

So I'm at marsielle airport and I need to get to St Charles. I believe there is a train so I will take that

And yes I did tell him about the Navette. Which is why when you plan your trip you should take with you a small folder with all the info that you have gleamed on here and elsewhere.

I'll drop him a PM and tell him, if his budget will allow for it to go on Tuesday rather than a Monday.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just got this when I got back in front of my computer:

Today at 1:59 PMNew
I might be able to drag it out, but last night things didn't go as planned. Ended up sleeping in a park because the air bnb didn't work out.* It's Saturday now and I'm thinking about just going up there in a few hours. I know it'll be a wait, but still, a bed, food, and not wandering around lost

Today at 2:02 PMNew
I will check back for your reply in a few hours, wifi has been rough to get access too.

France is more beautiful than I imagined, a lot of these people are nice. A group of kids and I had a pull up competition and it was a funny experience because I didn't understand their french, nor them my English, but still had a laugh.

Red Lion has good drinks too. And boulangeries around here make one hell of a chocolate croissant.

The jet lag is beating my ass honestly, eyes ache and I haven't been able to rest because of last night. And the rain and bugs

Today at 2:03 PM
Let the boys know that you can get into France, and they should be able to make the trip should they desire.

He's obviously in Aubage if he's been to the Red Lion Pub. I had given him directions on how to get to a trusted cheap hotel, no matter. I've written back advising him to get at least one night's good sleep. There's nothing worse than sitting there yawning and wondering when he'll be able to get to sleep.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Why would going on Tuesday be better than on Monday?

For the simple reason that there will be less people then. Which, logically speaking, means less competition (on the day). Also Monday is When the guard is inspected, which could possibly mean that they may turn people away before the commanding officer comes to inspect.
Also you are less likely to come up against a caporal chef who has a hangover. Plus Monday is the day when all the regiment is assembled on the parade square and then go out for a run. It will avoid waiting around and also it will avoid the caporal chef having to make a quick decision on whether to allow you in or not.

Guys you really must plan ahead. What I would recommend (what I have recommended) is that he goes to the hotel and gets a good night's sleep. then he can turn up tomorrow at around 10:00 in the morning after a good breakfast.
If anyone out there is still taking note of my recommendations, remember that you are watched from the moment you arrive. You need to get a good night's sleep before hand. Don't forget that once you've finished with the pull ups you then have the basic IQ test. And who knows perhaps the more advanced IQ test, your brain must rested for that.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
Good luck man ace the selction
So if you show the legion recruitment documents to the border control people they let you in as a essential reason ? Or you just need to come from another European country and they don't even ask?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure how it works. AW did say to me though he had to postpone his flight before leaving because he did not have his test results through. Let's wait until we hear from him again to find out.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
All the best to the A.W.
Btw, a storm is brewing here
Do not talk to strangers, not even kids
If you have to sleep out doors for what ever reason, tie your ankles
Sunday is going to be a bitch

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Bonjour, gents. I took Joe's advice and booked a hotel the night before I head to the gate. Was a good call, as fun as camping was, the storm really did do a number. Everything is good as of now.

To answer any questions regarding traveling to France, I will give a short summary of my exact experience and you can do with it as you will.

As an American, I needed a COVID test completed, as quickly as possible. They say within 72hrs but mine was 6 days old and I was fine. From new York to Portugal, you need to show the test again and your passport before you board. In portugal, showed them the results again and the passport, no issues.

Upon landing in Marseille, I simply walked to the passport check point for non EU folks, and the gentleman took my passport, scanned it, handed it back and said I was good to go. Never asked for a test. Walked out of the building, even customs didn't ask me anything, I just walked by and they didn't care at all.

From there, well, you're good to go folks. At least I was.

Foot notes:

- Don't try to join later than Friday morning. The caporal chef asked why I was there, I handed him the passport, and after checking it he told me to return Monday at 0800 (that's 0730-0745 because you should always be early by a minimum 15 minutes).

- McDonalds and hotels have wifi. Nowhere else does. To charge phones, McDonalds has one, Aubagne town square has an exterior charging port, and obviously hotels to.

- Buy water and food from Monoprix if you want to save money. I couldn't believe how cheap some of this stuff was.

- Bring an Umbrella, I did, thank God. Because last night would have been a whole other level of stupid.

- Kronenbourg is an excellent alternative to sleeping pills.

- Avoid public toilets. That was my first time seeing that people don't know where to relieve themselves, because floors are definitely not where that stuff goes.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good luck man ace the selction
So if you show the legion recruitment documents to the border control people they let you in as a essential reason ? Or you just need to come from another European country and they don't even ask?

I think because I came from Portugal, they didn't care. I recommend TAP Portugal for flights because they're cheap and the Portuguese are more lax on people interning their nation.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
I think because I came from Portugal, they didn't care. I recommend TAP Portugal for flights because they're cheap and the Portuguese are more lax on people interning their nation.
Sounds exciting man. and you didn't had to show them the legion recruitment paper and even the "international travel certificate " just a test results and bonne journe wow man thats a huge difference from what they suposed to really do. so I think I do the same but through hungaria and take the night train from Budapest to Marseille. Or even fly stright to Marseille and tell them I want to join the FFL. Thanks for the intel wanderer. I'll start planning right away my trip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sounds exciting man. and you didn't had to show them the legion recruitment paper and even the "international travel certificate " just a test results and bonne journe wow man thats a huge difference from what they suposed to really do. so I think I do the same but through hungaria and take the night train from Budapest to Marseille. Or even fly stright to Marseille and tell them I want to join the FFL. Thanks for the intel wanderer. I'll start planning right away my trip.
Good luck my friend. Just listen to Joe's advice when you do get to Aubagne and you'll be golden. Hope to message you all in a few months.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
légionnaire est avant tout un jeune homme de son époque. Il a 23 ans en moyenne, a déjà une certaine maturité et une certaine expérience, souvent militaire. Il a un bon niveau général et en excellente condition physique. La Légion n’essaie pas de persuader le candidat de s’engager, c’est à lui de la convaincre. Much of luck and passion you got this 👍

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A Wanderer,
Have had a short break from the Forum. Anyway I wish you every success in your endeavours.
Remember it is often 'mind over matter' and the will to succeed at all costs.
"Bonne chance."