a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A_Wanderer is on the move

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well, it looks as though A_wanderer has spent his first night in Aubagne. Good luck, mate. And remember, when things get hard for you in Aubagne, you can take comfort in the knowledge that they are going to get a lot harder for you in Castel o_O:whistle:;).
Forgot to press the post reply

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well it looks like he's made it through his first week. I can only imagine what conditions are like with the Civid, but every Friday is a step nearer. Saying that, he did seem extremely motivated, which is equal to ten pressed men (or something like that).

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well it looks like he's made it through his first week. I can only imagine what conditions are like with the Civid, but every Friday is a step nearer. Saying that, he did seem extremely motivated, which is equal to ten pressed men (or something like that).

Joe, I'd tell my Recruits in Boot Camp, just make it to evening Chow and the day is over. I was told this by my recruiter and it's good advice.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Our wires have gotten crossed, I just answered your PM before checking the posts. Well done that man!
Quartier Libre ! what is this man's army coming to. If it's not too much trouble could you give us a summary of what the interviews consisted of? And as a US how you were treated?
thanks for remembering us, it goes to show that not everyone forgets us once they have reached their goal.
Again well done !

Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Just adding a comment to follow the thread - congrats on getting in - would love to hear how they treated you as a US too, and nice to see you're able to be online just as you got to your regiment. What regiment did you get into?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Just got to my regiment gents. Glad to say that I somehow passed selection, and survived castel.
Congratulations on making it through. Seems like just yesterday you were being told that you could not get in to France and ran into some other obstacles that you were able to overcome. Glad to hear you made it and very interested in hearing about your experience so far!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Honestly I joined just at the right time. The legion when I joined, was very relaxed because of the virus. Still, I passed all the tests. 15 tractions, level 8 cooper for sports test. 16/20 iq exam, no medical problems, gestapo interview lasted a whole 30 minutes. They didn't ask me much, I told them everything and they didn't mind my past troubles at all.

As an American, honestly people treated me pretty well. I almost never got ramassed unless it was a group punishment, and the cadre liked me quite a bit. Sometimes my chef de groupe would get annoyed because I was not a french speaker but in time I advanced enough where I could understand him and his orders, no issue. It is also possible to reach good level french in 4-5 months gents, you'd be surprised.

I got to chose my regiment, and I chose 1REG. And I rather enjoy my first few days here. Quarter libre in Avingon is nice, a lot of pretty girls.

For anyone who wants more specific info, let me know.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Also, FAMAS is officially retired. You go to the legion, you're utilizing the HK416. Magnificent weapon, americans with military experience will have an advantage.