a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About “la taule” and 17 years of service

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) You are also given a hand written letter by the general. By the state of mine you can see it's a major corvée to him. (...)
Why do you say that? I understand, he's probably writing the same sort of things to anybody leaving the Legion, even the worst bananier, but you can't really feel like the COMLE does this as a corvée...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Why do you say that? I understand, he's probably writing the same sort of things to anybody leaving the Legion, even the worst bananier, but you can't really feel like the COMLE does this as a corvée...
I may be feeling vain, but I hope I haven't got the same letter as the bananier de service. No, actually he has a secretary, last I saw it was a female major, who probably gives him a synopsis of each leg's career.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I may be feeling vain, but I hope I haven't got the same letter as the bananier de service. No, actually he has a secretary, last I saw it was a female major, who probably gives him a synopsis of each leg's career.
Ok, so he must be taking this seriously and not like another corvée to do... The fact that he's taking the time to hand write it also tends to confirm that.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Wasn't always the case, the letter. A hand shake, a photo and bye bye. Going by the scribbled hand writing, I do not think it was his secretary that wrote it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Wasn't always the case, the letter. A hand shake, a photo and bye bye. Going by the scribbled hand writing, I do not think it was his secretary that wrote it.
No, I'm not suggesting at all that his secretary wrote it. What I am saying is his secretary would give to him a run down of each legionnaires service (synopsis). I mean I'd never come across general Grail personally during my service. The fact that he knows, and I quote with translation, that I am coming to the end of 17 ½ years of service, would look pretty strange on a letter to someone who has done five years.

Ok, so he must be taking this seriously and not like another corvée to do... The fact that he's taking the time to hand write it also tends to confirm that.
I'm sure he realizes how important it will be to a legionnaire, but when there are twenty people a week and twenty letters a week to write, I'd be inclined to use the word corvée.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) The fact that he knows, and I quote with translation, that I am coming to the end of of seventeen and a half years service, would look pretty strange on a letter to someone who has done five years. (...)
Sure, he must know a minimum about the legionnaire leaving to be able to ‘personalise’ a little bit each letter.

I'm sure he realizes how important it will be to a legionnaire, but when there are twenty people a week and twenty letters a week to write, I'd be inclined to use the word corvée.
Ah Ok, see what you mean. It would be one for me... Just because, I'm no longer used to handwriting and it gives me cramps after 10 mn... :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Try tugging your meat, morning, noon and night, 7 days a week
Obvisouly, this dude hasn't done Vigipirate

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I found this on you tube : around the one minute mark you will see a poster of J-C V Damme

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That photo stirred some good and difficult memories but most off all some top men were still a rare breed in the scale of the population, recruit from any country but if your not rare breed ( enigmas) then you will be turned away you need a bit of swagger to make the move and big balls so be rounded fit, confident, and the mindset to dig deep and keep going i was crap at French but my buddy was good but not the best marcher so I may take a bit of his kit along with the section fridge sorry radio ,it’s about mucking in . It ain’t a 5 year posting on a ship.
Aye it was like that back in the day. When the crap hit the fan you were in it together good or bad! Remember one time at the c/chefs club. We were all getting hammered a crazy Vietminh c/chef came in with a cat he had caught. Somebody said hmmm! Wonder what cat tastes like! Without a word the Vietminh went outside and killed it! The next day at the club we had cooked cat the Vietnamese way! a true story! And this wasn’t the bloody jungle it Was camp rafalli. Crazy days!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I found this on you tube : around the one minute mark you will see a poster of J-C V Damme
Yep, there he is. Was that poster there in your time at the museum Joe?

To be honest I think Van Damme is unfairly ridiculed on this forum. I mean, c'mon guys of course he is far from good actor, but one have to agree that he was good in "his thing", probably best.

And why not. I liked his movies as a kid and many guys reading this probably did liked too back in 90s.
I mean really, he have some amazing physical abilities which came from hard work. He was also real fighter before acting and started in Hollywood as stunt master.

He did two movies which praising FFL and I guess he is also fan of FFL . No he didn't serve ... so what? He also never pretend that he did.

Just my 2 cents about JCVD. But who am I to say anything about Legion. Maybe guys who served really don't like that JCVD represent legion. I don't know ... maybe Ron Jeremy would be better choice. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

No unfortunately I did not have the privilege of seeing the giant poster:cry::ROFLMAO:. There was one very interesting poster (tableau) of some of famous people who had served in the legion.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

To be honest I think Van Damme is unfairly ridiculed on this forum. I mean, c'mon guys of course he is far from good actor, but one have to agree that he was good in "his thing", probably best.

And why not. I liked his movies as a kid and many guys reading this probably did liked too back in 90s.
I mean really, he have some amazing physical abilities which came from hard work. He was also real fighter before acting and started in Hollywood as stunt master.

He did two movies which praising FFL and I guess he is also fan of FFL . No he didn't serve ... so what? He also never pretend that he did.

Just my 2 cents about JCVD. But who am I to say anything about Legion. Maybe guys who served really don't like that JCVD represent legion. I don't know ... maybe Ron Jeremy would be better choice. :)
I think Clint Eastwood would've been a brilliant Adjudant-chef!