a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Age factor

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Bonjour,
I'm 31 years old from India.
I'm from a middle class family and had a keen desire to join the legion.
My only concern is my age, I want to know that when you are joining in your early 30s
What are the points to keep in mind before coming for selection?
Is selection committee biased For late joiner?
Coz if I'm coming to France from India it will be a challenge itself to get a visa and I don't want to disappoint myself just on the first day at the recruitment office by rejection on the basis of my age.
I am so much planning for the selection and trying my best to prove my worth in selection.
Please guide me.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Vishal,

Welcome to the forum and excuse my 'katcha' written Hindi. Oral is reasonable. Um bolta hai Hindustan jawans bahaut atcha hai. Usque izaart bahaut atcha.;)

As for the FFL get fit. Your age is not against you. Indeed you will be able to offer more maturity than some. This is useful in training. However you will have to be able to accept orders from callow junior NCOs' who may be inexperienced. You have to accept that and that you will be bottom of the food chain. India has many martial races and no doubt some are serving in the FFL

You must demonstrate at all times and at interview what I describe as the Want Factor. Remember it is a 5 year contract. Also during selection obey all orders with alacrity however menial.

Good luck with your visa.(y)

Chas: Jai Hind- Boodha Gora Sahib.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi again Vishal, and welcome to the forum. No need to call anyone sir here. It's true what Chas says that your age does not stand against you. In fact, I'd say the more people who get through Aubage and STAY in to do their FIVE years over 25, the better. There are a lot of of 1st world countries who are young and then ask to get out during or after instruction.
If you have got Chas's want factor and you are determined to stay the race, then the best of luck to you. Make sure that you are above fitness level is the only other advice I can give you.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Hi again Vishal, and welcome to the forum. No need to call anyone sir here. It's true what Chas says that your age does not stand against you. In fact, I'd say the more people who get through Aubage and STAY in to do their FIVE years over 25, the better. There are a lot of of 1st world countries who are young and then ask to get out during or after instruction.
If you have got Chas's want factor and you are determined to stay the race, then the best of luck to you. Make sure that you are above fitness level is the only other advice I can give you.
Thank you so much Chas and Joseph Cosgrove.
It's a real motivation for me whatever you said.
I will try my best to show my ''want factor '' .
But I'm worried about the competition during the selection procedure coz there will be boys younger to me competing with me and they might be the priority For the selection committee.

But anyway I'm coming in winters and to know weather I'm worth it or not.

Thank you so much for replying.
Have a good day.
Chas its so good to listen Hindi from you.
And Joseph thanks to you once again for replying twice.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Listen mate, and all those who have doubts about their chances of getting in around the 30 year range or over.
Pull up a sand bag or an empty ammo case, I'm going to give you my opinion on why the legion still keeps it's age limit at 39.
I don't know if you are familiar with the expression wet nursing dictionary :look after (someone) as though they were a helpless infant.
Well the legion just does not have time for that. In most armies where everyone speaks the same language to begin with and most are around 18-20, they are treated as young men who have little or no experience in life outside the family home. Yes there will be those who join under this category, however with people coming from all walks of life, they cannot take everyone under their wing. When you get out on town, you will not have a corporal to every recruit to make sure that he does not fall in love with the first girl he meets in the legion bars in Castel. Nor will he be their to remind him to use a preservative.

Also the during instruction the corporals cannot be with you 24 hours a day, it's usually the older hands that remind everyone that they had better get the room ready for appel. Or when they are allowed to go to the foyer that they were given until 21:00.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Bonjour,
I'm 31 years old from India.
I'm from a middle class family and had a keen desire to join the legion.
My only concern is my age, I want to know that when you are joining in your early 30s
What are the points to keep in mind before coming for selection?
Is selection committee biased For late joiner?
Coz if I'm coming to France from India it will be a challenge itself to get a visa and I don't want to disappoint myself just on the first day at the recruitment office by rejection on the basis of my age.
I am so much planning for the selection and trying my best to prove my worth in selection.
Please guide me.

We are in the same boat, with the only difference is that i'm already in the EU. I will be knocking the door, before the year ends. If i get in awesome, if they say "naahhh you suck!!" then it will be a shame and i can live with a rejection... But i won't have in my mind the thought "What if i had...." which is something that will haunt you till the end of your life.
Now this is my point of view, since we are in our very early 30s, we must go the extra mile, so 7 pull ups and 7 palliers won't cut it (again my point of view), if we want to be selected.
We need to show them that our bodies can endure at least 5 years, remember they want cheap labour, so selecting a body that will need a lot medical care ($$$$) is not a good idea.
Last but not least, a will to drag you, when you are wasted... When i was in the Argentinian Army, a lot of stronger and fitter people than left during basic training, not because their bodies couldn't endure it, but because they laked the will, to keep moving when they were already out of energy.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We are in the same boat, with the only difference is that i'm already in the EU. I will be knocking the door, before the year ends. If i get in awesome, if they say "naahhh you suck!!" then it will be a shame and i can live with a rejection... But i won't have in my mind the thought "What if i had...." which is something that will haunt you till the end of your life.
Now this is my point of view, since we are in our very early 30s, we must go the extra mile, so 7 pull ups and 7 palliers won't cut it (again my point of view), if we want to be selected.
We need to show them that our bodies can endure at least 5 years, remember they want cheap labour, so selecting a body that will need a lot medical care ($$$$) is not a good idea.
Last but not least, a will to drag you, when you are wasted... When i was in the Argentinian Army, a lot of stronger and fitter people than left during basic training, not because their bodies couldn't endure it, but because they laked the will, to keep moving when they were already out of energy.
yes they want also mature men who are mentally strong. Young Boys are fit but when it gets tough the wise older man is normally the nucleus of the group. It's mental as well as physical. Extreme Stress Situation how you cope.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
and guys I know Stress Situation...in December married 30 years :oops: crazy

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just a beginner in the marriage stakes. ;) Ma femme est comme une tourterelle des bois, tres aimable et douce.:love:
don´t think any other woman would put up with me so long... :LOL:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
don´t think any other woman would put up with me so long... :LOL:

I am sure they would it is all a matter of technique.;) When I get an order from the boss (She who must be obeyed at all times) I smile, say; Yes dear and then carry on as before until she finds out. But I have to be very careful not to arouse my pet she dragon ! Talk about oriental fire crackers. No pun intended. She was a martial arts instructor. Hung Sao Daoh. Literally red hand strike/hit. Married in 1969 !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am sure they would it is all a matter of technique.;) When I get an order from the boss (She who must be obeyed at all times) I smile, say; Yes dear and then carry on as before until she finds out. But I have to be very careful not to arouse my pet she dragon ! Talk about oriental fire crackers. No pun intended. She was a martial arts instructor. Hung Sao Daoh. Literally red hand strike/hit. Married in 1969 !
I like oriental women... Talking of martial arts the funny thing is most chinese don´t worry about wing chun or these things, they are i think too busy fighting to feed their family. I did know a guy who was a Sgt in the Coldstream Guards & was in Hong Kong ..he said he had a house help, a chinese woman . I always wanted to go to Hong Kong but alas...never got there.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was last there in 1985. My wife was last there 2 years ago. She loathes the changes in Hong Kong. It has lost its charm and I have no desire to return. For me there are many other places that I would like to visit.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was last there in 1985. My wife was last there 2 years ago. She loathes the changes in Hong Kong. It has lost its charm and I have no desire to return. For me there are many other places that I would like to visit.
85 wow... well you had the best times Chas.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I was in Hong Kong in 2014, stayed one block North of Kowloon park, if I can remember I think it was in on the corner of Jordan/Nathan Rd. Was fortunate to be there for new years, absolute magic. Even got myself a "genuine copy" Tag Heuer for 200HKD:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was in Hong Kong in 2014, stayed one block North of Kowloon park, if I can remember I think it was in on the corner of Jordan/Nathan Rd. Was fortunate to be there for new years, absolute magic. Even got myself a "genuine copy" Tag Heuer for 200HKD:ROFLMAO:
For my police service I served/lived in Mong Kok Police station covering that area. At the end of my tour I commuted to HK Island to Police HQ Arsenal Street where I served in SB Ops.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Hi All !!

It's good to listen to your personal life experiences.

Wish you lot if happiness in your lives.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If I can remember isn't the Kowloon Cricket grounds near there?
I know people who have went to Hong Kong just mainly for the wing Tsun (Wing Chun)..i bet the little China man laughs as he takes their money...