a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Age Limit.

Rowain

Reaction score
Home Country
Dominica
Hi all. I am Going to France Next Month. I just turned 40 last December. Will I be rejected automatically or do they make exceptions. I am in teriffic shape as I have been boxing for the past 20 years.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Rowain and welcome to the forum.
Not much of an intro. Why have you waited so long? This is a question that you will be asked when you knock at the door.

Rowain

Reaction score
Home Country
Dominica
Hi Rowain and welcome to the forum.
Not much of an intro. Why have you waited so long? This is a question that you will be asked when you knock at the door.
I live in Dominica, small island in the Caribbean just a couple of miles of Guadeloupe a French satellite island. Most of my family are from Guadeloupe and they have migrated to France for the most part. I just go caught up with work and boxing for my country of Dominica although I have been wanting to do this for the longest while. I feel really bad about not giving it a shot earlier. I most likely gonna be moving to France this year too. I Just don't want to do a regular 9-5 given the shape I am in. I feel like I have a lot left in the tank to give this a shot.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Age cut-off is usually 39 and a 1/2. But you might be able to give it a shot, you better be damn exceptional and be fit as hell and beat chaps half your age by a mile. Theres a slim chance but the Legion is known to bend the rules as it sees fit.

Rowain

Reaction score
Home Country
Dominica
Age cut-off is usually 39 and a 1/2. But you might be able to give it a shot, you better be damn exceptional and be fit as hell and beat chaps half your age by a mile. Theres a slim chance but the Legion is known to bend the rules as it sees fit.
Thanks. If I happen to get the green light I will excel.

Reaction score
Home Country
Moldova
Just go man. Do it. You have nothing to lose. Here's the thing, someone who was 40 got accepted. Legion can bend the rules. You know? If they really want you, you will be accepted. Go for it. But don't waste anymore time because at 41-42 it's too late.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi Rowain and welcome
Only one way to find out and you know what you have to do to find the answer. .présent your self to the Legion
If accepted, maybe just the one 5 year contract. .at the best, but no way you will make a carear in the Legion
Take up boxing training is my suggestion
I wish you the best

Reaction score
Home Country
Moldova
Hi Rowain and welcome
Only one way to find out and you know what you have to do to find the answer. .présent your self to the Legion
If accepted, maybe just the one 5 year contract. .at the best, but no way you will make a carear in the Legion
Take up boxing training is my suggestion
I wish you the best

He can do a career if he goes after the 5 year contract at 1er RE, there are plenty of options COMPLE, CCSR,CAPLE etc

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Really? Get real,man
For a blue bite the wrong side of 40...no way
If he was 35 and does 5 years of service = 40
But that's not his case
The Legion is not a Hostel

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Rowain, I could easily jump on the band wagon and tell you the usual...go for it, you never know if you don't try rhetoric. But that's not in my nature. At 40 years of age you've missed the boat. As I've said on this forum before "being a soldier is a young mans game, it's like football". Have a plan B. Make sure you have the means to return home from France eg: money set aside. All the best with your future.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
oh well--- don´t suppose they will give me my Tank now at 52 😢🤪

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi Rowain, I had the exact opposite problem to you, I was underage, so I added 3 years to my age and got accepted. Would it not be possible for you to deduct 3 years?

‘Sorry Sergeant, but my passport was stolen on the metro coming here!’

Happens all the time, actually. Paris metros are a den of thieves these days.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Or perhaps buy some documents that makes you younger? Your choice, of course, but I would advice against trusting the legion to bend the 40 year age rule in your case.

On the other hand, you could perhaps prove your boxing skills by smacking the interviewer on his chin and knocking him out, then writing ‘accepted’ on his diary.

Just a plan B kind of thought.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Or perhaps buy some documents that makes you younger? Your choice, of course, but I would advice against trusting the legion to bend the 40 year age rule in your case.

On the other hand, you could perhaps prove your boxing skills by smacking the interviewer on his chin and knocking him out, then writing ‘accepted’ on his diary.

Just a plan B kind of thought.
I wonder how many people have got in on false papers.. would work if you had say a younger brother that was similar in looks.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was so easy back in the day. ..
In 81 i traveled to France with a 72 hr excursion card that i filled out at Dover (shopping purposes)..I was too young and was knocked back
In 83 and just passed 18, with a birth certificat, i filled out a 1 year passport application at the post office
If i was wise, i could of used my older brothers birth certificat and applied for a passport under his name. ..no way stuff like that could pass

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was so easy back in the day. ..
In 81 i traveled to France with a 72 hr excursion card that i filled out at Dover (shopping purposes)..I was too young and was knocked back
In 83 and just passed 18, with a birth certificat, i filled out a 1 year passport application at the post office
If i was wise, i could of used my older brothers birth certificat and applied for a passport under his name. ..no way stuff like that could pass
maybe ..maybe not. some brothers do look the same.