Airborne Ops

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I wanted to know how 2 REP's airborne operations, jumps, and other activities associated with those were in comparison to Airborne ops in the US. I have only 9 static line jumps, most of which I enjoyed (equipment jumps with full load is bitch, especially for a thin fecker like me, and I was a mortarman). Done ALOT of parachute work details, and spend alot of time in the pax shed getting the life squeezed out of my shoulders and three piece region hahaha. But I look back on it fondly.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I wanted to know how 2 REP's airborne operations, jumps, and other activities associated with those were in comparison to Airborne ops in the US. I have only 9 static line jumps, most of which I enjoyed (equipment jumps with full load is bitch, especially for a thin fecker like me, and I was a mortarman). Done ALOT of parachute work details, and spend alot of time in the pax shed getting the life squeezed out of my shoulders and three piece region hahaha. But I look back on it fondly.
Aye I think we all do. French airborne/ REP. Have the reputation of most jumps per year compared to most airborne units. my first two years in REP i had over forty jumps including over a dozen night jumps (full kit) and one operational combat jump. (Congo) four different types of aircraft. Noratlas. / transall C-160 / C-47 (Gabon) and puma helicopters. With Brit airborne lucky if we got dozen jumps a year. But ops with Northern Ireland took away from our normal schedule. Still have a piece of the American T-10 that I jumped with in the Congo! Cheers yank!

OP
A
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Cheers, from across the pond!

First of all, that is alot of jumps. More than alot of people I know, hell most. I always used the T-11 parachute, and all of my jumps, save two, were from a C-130. Small, cramped as fck. Half a man's (or if you were somewhat lucky a female's) a$$ was essentially in your lap. Even worse when you had your ruck and weapon stuck to your side. Hell of a time standing up too, especially with equipment jumps, especially for me because I'm a tall lanky bstard. Once had to jump a 240B machine gun, and I understood then discomfort on a whole other level.

The other two were from a C-17 which was spacious and a pretty good time, even with equipment.

One time on a night jump, I remember it being so cold that my face instantly got dried and my lips felt like they froze together when I made it to the door. It was windy as f*ck so I floated a bit off course and landed in some really prickly brush and got dragged on the ground for like 4 seconds before my chute caught a shrub.

When I got put of the harness, got all my sht and moved to get of the DZ, heard someone screaming nearby, so I quickly moved, damn near tripping because you have tunnel vision with the damn NVGs. Found this dude, said he tore his shoulder so I helped him up, carried his sht, asked who he was and it was my LT, I was like "Oh sht my bad sir", because I'm calling him dude and man, instead of proper military courtesies.....under the circumstances he didn't give a sht. Only time they let that slide as a new guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most viewed threads of the week