a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Am i being young and stupid

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
G'day
Thank you for excepting me
I have recently discovered this forum and decided its the best place to ask questions [I hope]

I'm a 19-year-old bloke from Australia and I plan on trying to join the legion next year. I have tried in the past to join the Aussie army but due to some minor issues I had with the law at 16 I was told I can apply again in 6 years, all my life I've only ever wanted to be a soldier and fully understand that it's extremely hard work and very mentally challenging but for me that is what I want to do I can't fully explain the feeling but its all I can see myself being I need to do hard work I want that 30km hike up a mountain with pack and weapon with mates. I was raised mostly by my grandparents due to the fact my old man was a not nice man when he was drinking and I copped the brunt of it. it did give me an opportunity to get a good worth ethic though as my grandparents owned a farm and I was up every morning working and came home from school to work till past dark. I was lucky enough to hear my pops war stories and how he told me of a friend of his who joined the legion after the war. My main question is will the legion even bother to take me due to the fact that I come from a not financially bad background and a very well-off country as my research has led me to believe they are quite wary of westerners these days due to the desertion rates? hope I haven't asked a question that has been asked a million times before thankyou for your time

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hello and welcome Crossroads,
Browsing old threads through search engine, will get you the most info because there is hardly a question that hasn't been asked on this forum.
About your question;
It's, like Joe says: a job interview after all. It depends on you to present yourself the best you can. Your background and the country of origin will not matter if you show proper motivation.
You can find experiences and examples of questions that were asked by interviewers in the old threads.
Good luck with your preparations.
Fitness, motivation and some knowledge of language should be the things to focus on.
I'm sure other members will offer some advices as soon as they wake up (time difference).
Cheers!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Crossroads and welcome to the forum.
You should seriously think about learning French, as it will show that you are motivated.
Westerners don't desert anymore, or do rarely as it is too easy to go civilian nowadays. I'm sure that that won't be your case.
There is a fellow Oz on here, you'll catch him on the REP thread. Wait until he invites you to contact him and then pick him dry.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Thank you Perun and Joeseph for your replies i should have mentioned that I have been studying french for about an hour a day for the past 2 months to get some basics down.
i must admit i have been a little slack with my training but I'm getting back into it my main struggle has always been running I'm a good swimmer and can do about 8 strict pullups but running is my enemy

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Crossroads,

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy it and take heed of all posts made by the Greens
for they have made the journey.

Having perused your write-up/ introduction I am going to be rash and give you
some advice. Simply " Go for It." At 19 you are immediate recruit material. However
you must be aware that there will be a severe culture shock for you. Hack it and you
will be a man for life. I note that the Australian Army has postponed your service.
Maybe on finishing your contract with the FFL, if you applied, they might welcome you
with open arms.

Apart from my family, I believe that volunteering at the age of 17 and 3 months was
one of the best decisions of my life. It opened doors to other para military and military
organisations. Also I became a member of 2 exclusive clubs.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Another senior moment !:rolleyes: Error should have written ;
17 and 3 weeks. 20/06/ 1956.
RMV202910 Mne.

I remain a dozy old so and so.šŸ˜‡